General Discussions
I have some problem: Razer Core X / Radeon VII / MacBook Pro 2019 / COH2 Crashes...

I have some problem: Razer Core X / Radeon VII / MacBook Pro 2019 / COH2 Crashes.  

RSS

(@gzx9755)

hi guys. I bought MacBook pro 2019 15-inch model, with i9 2.4G, 32G ram, 1TB SSD, Vega 20 dGPU. I connected Radeon VII with Razer Core X via TB3.

I have some problem, so I need some help.

i want to play Company Of Heroes 2, but it crashes after a few minutes.

but, disconnect eGPU and play with dGPU, it never crashes again.

another problem, when i turn off or sleep the MacBook pro, eGPU's fan spins full speed. 

anyone who knows about this problem?

add: 2019_09_26.

I think COH2's problem is may with radeon VII's driver. with radeon VII eGPU, my macOS crashes intermittently. but, with amd radeon RX580, i cannot see macOS and COH2's crashes.

and, i think the COH2 has problem too. another game like dirt rally, factorio, Minecraft do not crashes with radeon VII.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@gzx9755

Radeon VII fan speed problem is discussed in https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/radeon-vii-egpu-fans-run-full-speed-in-sleep-mode/
I think it's a problem with the Radeon VII firmware. There's no solution except to get a different eGPU enclosure.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@gzx9755)

@joevt

oh... I see it. many thanks.

so, maybe the problem is in the Radeon VII 's firmware. AMD will repair this problem?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@gzx9755 Probably not. All you can do is report the problem. I'm not sure what the cause is. All we know is, of the AMD cards, only the Radeon VII has this behavior. The fans could be controlled by hardware, firmware, or software.

On the software side, does the same problem exist in macOS, Windows, and Linux? I think the problem is reported for both macOS and Windows so maybe it's not software.

If the fans are controlled by hardware, then there's not much to do except get different hardware. In this case, the Netstor HL23T-Plus eGPU box is known to not cause the problem with the Radeon VII. So, is the fault with the Razer Core X and other eGPUs or the Radeon VII? Well, there's many eGPUs that work fine with many graphics cards, and only one Radeon VII so it makes more sense to blame the Radeon VII.

ReplyQuote
(@gzx9755)

@joevt

hmm... why I Doubt my new MacBook, because I was used Lenovo Thinkpad P50 laptop. (Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5, non-ECC 32GB ram, Nvidia Quadro M2000M dGPU) with my Thinkpad, eGPU Radeon VII was worked without problems.

and, sadly, I cannot check by software. i do not have plan use Linux with my new macbook. and my linux machines do not has Thunderbolt3 port. in my macbook bootcamp, i Resolved other problems Except Error code 12 in device manager. i use bootcampdriver's custom bootcamp driver, tried eGPU.io's DSDT override guide but, i cannot resolve this problem so, The conclusion is i only can test in my Windows + Lenovo Thinkpad P50 model, and macOS + macbook Pro 2019.

i trying for resolve error code 12 in bootcamp windows, i think it cannot resolve. if i resolve this problem, i will report in this Post.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@gzx9755 Are you saying the Radeon VII + Razer Core X does not have full fan speed issue during sleep when connected to your Lenovo Thinkpad P50 laptop?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I can tell you that running on a pure win machine on the latest AMD software... I do NOT have the fan issue... I ONLY have the issue using the older drivers through Mac OS.

2019 MBP 9th i9 8C and a Vega Pro 20 running eGPU Razer Core X with Radeon vii
2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ttamnogard That’s good to know. I will try the Radeon VII on a Windows laptop and latest Radeon drivers to see if that works better. During my tests with the Radeon VII when it first came out, the fan speed issue during sleep was present on all operating systems across different desktops and laptops.

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I don’t know if any of this matters... 

1. I am always plugged into my mac mini
2. I do NOT power off the core x
3. There was an update to AMD’s drivers. Due to some renovation work at home, the mini is offline at the moment. I also upgraded my monitor to a new Freesync 2 monitor and also scored a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT. Since the Radeon Auto undervolt doesn’t do much and honestly I’m not playing with the settings, I may be wrapping up my testing with the VII.

I *do* still have the bug when I connect the VII to my MBP 2019.... but there are just too many variables.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

2019 MBP 9th i9 8C and a Vega Pro 20 running eGPU Razer Core X with Radeon vii
2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
(@gzx9755)

@itsage

that's right. no full speed fan issue with my eGPU (radeon VII + razer core x) + Lenovo Thinkpad P50.

@ttamnogard

i see your benchmark. congratulation 🙂 

I'm so jealous of you to it works well without any problems.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@gzx9755 Thank you for the confirmation. This is a good sign either the Radeon drivers or Thunderbolt Software can manage the Radeon VII fans in suspend mode. Hopefully Apple can work with AMD to integrate these changes into their Mac firmware and macOS graphics drivers. Can you share the Intel Thunderbolt Software or Thunderbolt Control Center you’re using on the Thinkpad P50?

ReplyQuote
(@gzx9755)

@itsage

i remember, i don't use special tools. just intel thunderbolt tools. (it included in micosoft 10 or lenovo vantage? i don't know. sorry) i only use pre-installed thunderbolt tools.

my thinkpad P50 now in my home. and, i'll go to home when sep, 30. if i can do, i will check my software and report in this post for you. 🙂 

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@gzx9755)

@itsage

i'm sorry to late.

my thinkpad P50's thunderbolt software is just intel thunderbolt software for windows.

software package version is 17.3.74.400.

and, i use lenovo vantage update my thinkpad's thunderbolt software.

if you any another needs to me, please mention to me. thank you 🙂

p.s. i cannot mention to you in this post. if you can see another mentions, i tell you so sorry for many mentions.

ReplyQuote