imac 2019 and egpu

Notifications
Clear all

imac 2019 and egpu  

RSS

casabel
(@casabel)

Hi guys,

I recently purchased the 3.00ghz version of the latest imac.

I am planning to buy the razer core 3 along with an amd gpu in order to be able to run some games not so demanding like pro evolution soccer 2020. My question is what gpu to select for windows gaming at good resolution (1440p or better via the 5k monitor) and to be with playable fps.

This topic was modified 10 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Depending on your budget and market availability, go with either RX Vega 56 or RX 5700 XT.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
casabel
(@casabel)

thank you, i was wondering regarding the performance on the 5k screen since i read in the forum that there is huge performance drop in case of a egpu and windows bootcamp with imac monitor

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
bootz
(@bootz)
Trusted Member

If you want a stable 60fps, 1440p is going to be the max resolution for the internal display, regardless of the GPU used. I'm using an Aorus Gaming Box 1070 over TB2 on a 2015 4k iMac and the sweet spot for me is 1080p/1152p on most games to hit 60fps using the internal monitor. When I tested with an external monitor years ago, I was able to maintain higher framerates at 1440p. That will give you an idea about performance loss.

I believe the performance hit won't be as bad on external vs internal over a TB3 connection. The one constant seems to be CPU-intensive games really hurt the performance of an eGPU, even when using an external display.

iMac 4k 2015 - 21.5" (iGPU only)
i5-5675R @ 3.10 GHz
8 GB RAM
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 via TB3 > TB2 adapter
Windows 10.0.17134

ReplyQuote