Cannot launch RDR2 using my eGPU - MacBook Pro 16 + RX 5700 XT + Razer Core X + ...

Notifications
Clear all

Cannot launch RDR2 using my eGPU - MacBook Pro 16 + RX 5700 XT + Razer Core X + Windows 1903  

RSS

Patrick Peng
(@patrick_peng)

Hi everyone! First of all I want to thank this forum as it has very comprehensive resources so that I am able to set up my on eGPU to my MBP! I tried my best to overcome any issue I faced by doing my own research, but finally came across an issue that I cannot find a solution anyhow regarding launching RDR2 🙁

My current status is, I am able to connect to my monitor in Bootcamp, plus I can launch GTA V from Steam using my eGPU and play hours without any problem, but I hit the wall when I am trying to play RDR2. I have tried to launch it from both Steam or Rockstar Launcher, in either case there would be a black window showing for a minute or two, then close by itself. In the meantime I can see the RDR2 process is running in the background when I check the Task Manager, but it would be gone in few minutes.

Few more details about my system setup:

I have followed the steps in this post to install the boot loader: https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/  

I am using the April's Red version (I have also tried the Blue one, not working either...) driver from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/ I have used DDU to uninstall the original graphics driver before installing it.

My windows build is 1903.

Any idea what could cause my problem? Thanks 🙂

MacBook Pro 16 Radeon Pro 5500M | RX 5700 XT | Razer Core X | Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@patrick_peng

Yeah, the RDR2 launcher problem has been around for awhile.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1174180/discussions/0/3145133021634652718/?ctp=2

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/ds668e/pc_black_screen/?utm_source=xpromo&utm_medium=amp&utm_name=amp_comment_iterations&utm_term=control_2&utm_content=comments_view_all

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Patrick Peng
(@patrick_peng)

Hi @Mini i5, thanks for the information.

But I think those two links you post are not exactly about me issue. I took a screen of my "game loading window" below. Every time when I open the game through steam, this window shows for a few minutes and then close by itself. No any error message shows in the whole process. If I use the Rockstar game launcher, even this window does not appear, there is only a RDR2 process created on the background and kill itself later.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@patrick_peng

Yes, this RDR2 launcher problem is very annoying. There's a few variations of the black screen issue, as you've encountered. 

Hopefully someone has found a good work-around for this.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Patrick Peng
(@patrick_peng)

FINALLY I GET THE RDR2 UP AND RUNNING!!

As I mentioned in my previous threads, even though I can have my eGPU working under windows 1903 using the external monitor, I was not able to launch the RDR2. This weekend I saw someone in the forum who got the eGPU working for his 5k iMac under windows 10 2004, plus I noticed there is a latest Oct version available of the Radeon driver on bootcampdrivers.com, so I decided to give them a try. Did not have much faith but the result turned out to be great! Not only the game can be successfully launched, but also there were many glitches fixed in the drive update compares to the April's driver, which includes system crash and restart when either my Macbook went to sleep or simply turned the screen off. Kudos to bootcampdrivers.com and MS 🙂

In short, my current setup is windows 10 version 2004 (build 19041508), with the latest October Red edition driver from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/ . Note that the way to install the Oct version of the drive is that, firstly install the Janauary one, then use the Device Manger to install the Oct one (choose to install from the local directory, then point to the unzipped driver folder where you downloaded from the website). I do still experience the notorious Code 12 error, and this boot loader works for me.

Benchmark wise, under Medium setting, the FPS is somewhere between 45 to 60, which is acceptable to me, as I am not a hard-core gamer anyway.

Hope the post can be helpful to someone 🙂

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote