Performance increase 970m - 1070

Performance increase 970m - 1070  

RSS

(@maxime_soufflet)

Hello

I've a MSI gs60 6QE

I7 6700hq, 16go ram, 970m & TB3

My 970m was enough until I recently with pubg

I would like to buy the Aorus gaming box with a 1070. It's not easy to find in France, and it cost 700€ 

I already saw some benchmark. The performances will be -15 / -25% under a 1070 desktop depending witch screen I use

But how much performance increase I'll get from my 970m with my laptop screen and external screen?

Thanks you

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
maxwell87
(@maxwell87)
Eminent Member

Hi,

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/m17319vs360
This is what you get theoretically...
Everything else is something noone can tell, because it depends on your laptop and adapater + settings.

Max 

2015 15" Clevo N150RD + [email protected] (EXP GDC 9.0b) + Win10

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

I think your MSI laptop only lets TB3 operate at 10 gbps, which is essentially USB 3.1 speeds, which probably means the TB3 runs through a PCH instead of being piped directly to the processor. This is not ideal for EGPUs. True TB3 goes up to 40 gbps. You need to confirm this or it’ll be a huge waste of money for you.

Also, you will get better performance using an external display. You can expect a 10-15% drop in performance if you use the internal display.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

Make that 20gbps. Alpine Ridge LP, PCIe 3.0 x2.

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote