Razer Core + RX580 + 15" MBP 2018 - Valorant FPS Unstable - 120 FPS to 30FPS

Notifications
Clear all

Razer Core + RX580 + 15" MBP 2018 - Valorant FPS Unstable - 120 FPS to 30FPS  

RSS

Tuan Duong
(@tuan_duong)

Hi everyone, 

I'm relatively new to the eGPU world, but I was so attracted to the idea of extending the capabilities of my 2018 15" MBP instead of building a gaming PC from scratch. I pulled the trigger on a Razer Core and RX580 GPU in hopes to be blown away by the eGPU experience. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case Cry

Before the eGPU, I've been playing Valorant on Windows 10 Bootcamp with my internal GPU running smoothly at 60FPS. After adding my eGPU, I would see a surge in FPS to 120+ on high settings, but then would stutter to lowest 30 FPS and bounce back up frequently. It's super frustrating.

My setup is: 

I've installed the DDU and the latest drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, but am unsure of what else I can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Tuan Duong
(@tuan_duong)

I've figured it out. I have 4 TB3 ports. They were allocated like this.

Before - All TB3 ports taken

1) eGPU

2) usb-c dongle for USB accessories - includes HDMI input

3 + 4) usb-c dongle that took up both ports - included an HDMI input

Frame rate spiking between 120FPS to 30FPS

After - Open up TB3 ports 3+4

1) eGPU

2) usb-c dongle for USB accessories

Frame rate was constant 220-240FPS. No stuttering, just pure blissful play! 

Can anyone explain what happened here?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)

It's possible that 1 and 2 are sharing resources with 3 and 4 (but not each other). Try moving the dongle in 2 to 3 and 4 to see if you can reproduce the issue.

The only other cause I can think of would be CPU throttling, having the second hub plugged in might increase the thermals or increase the CPU load.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Keep-Left
(@keep-left)

Is this the port locations you're referring to?: Picture here

I would also recommend running Macs Fan Control and put fans to 100% to help with CPU thermal. I also turn off the inbuilt display within Windows Settings when gaming.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote