RTX 2070 + Mac mini losing to a GTX 1070?
I have been using a similar setup as @itsage, i7 Mac mini with 32 gb RAM paired with Razer Core X and EVGA 2070. The results however have been sort of disappointing when it comes to handling FPS and wanted to share with you to see if you have some thoughts.
I paired the same Mac mini with my older MSI 1070 Armor and when it comes to FPS the 1070 has even surpassed the 2070 in some games. I have been playing Overwatch, Apex and Hitman 2. The problem mostly occurs in Apex where the drop in FPS for the 2070 has been quite bad.
The monitor I am running is the Dell AW3418DW with 120mhz at 3440x1440, settings are almost all in low (for Apex), Overwatch runs at 120 FPS pretty constantly at High Settings and Hitman 2 at about 60 FPS with some drops below 30-40s.
Was I expecting too much from the RTX 2070? Is there something I can do? The experience of my previous PC (i5 6600 + GTX 1070 + 16gb ram) is better at gaming then the Mac mini i7 32gb with the 2070. So I am considering keeping my older PC for gaming and just selling the eGPU + 2070 to get some cash back.
PS.: I did notice that the Mac mini running Apex, CPU's tend to go at 100 degrees Celsius, which could suggest thermal throttling.
Thoughts are greatly appreciated!
@stefan_furtado I would suspect the i7 thermal-throttles during gameplay and causes the dismal performance. While I never tested the i7 configuration 2018 Mac mini, the i5 was running hot. I exchanged it for the i3 configuration which so far seems manageable. Here’s my build using the RTX 2070 + Razer Core. Does your GTX 1070 eGPU exceed the benchmark numbers I posted?
The results are below and quite interesting IMO, not sure how to upload the pics?
Mac mini + eGPU 1070:
- Heaven FHD: FPS 76, Score 1915, Min FPS 31.6, Max FPS 149.4
- Heaven QHD: FPS 49, Score 1238, Min FPS 24.2, Max FPS 95.5
- Valley FHD: FPS 81.9, Score 3427, Min FPS 36.5, Max FPS 158.3
- Valley QHD: FPS 52.5, Score 2198, Min FPS 27.3, Max FPS 101.1
- Superposition FHD: Score 11586, FPS Min: 59.1, Max: 113.51, Avg: 86.66
- Superposition QHD: Score 7782, FPS Min: 47.15, Max: 58.21, Avg: 73.71
Mac mini + eGPU 2070:
- Heaven FHD: FPS 98.6, Score 2483, Min FPS 9.1, Max FPS 196.4
- Heaven QHD: FPS 67.2, Score 1693, Min FPS 30.5, Max FPS 126.9
- Valley FHD: FPS 106.2, Score 4444, Min FPS 40.9, Max FPS 209.8
- Valley QHD: FPS 70, Score 2931, Min FPS 32.9, Max FPS 128.8
- Superposition FHD: Score 15245, FPS Min: 85.76, Max: 145.07, Avg: 114.03
- Superposition QHD: Score 10468, FPS Min: 65.85, Max: 97.03, Avg: 78.30
PC i5 1070:
- Heaven FHD: FPS 82.5, Score 2079, Min FPS 9.0, Max FPS 126.8
- Heaven QHD: FPS 55.2, Score 1391, Min FPS 24.4, Max FPS 114.6
- Valley FHD: FPS 87.6, Score 3663, Min FPS 24.9, Max FPS 171.8
- Valley QHD: FPS 55.8, Score 2334, Min FPS 24.8, Max FPS 110.5
- Superposition FHD: Score 12643, FPS Min: 59.38, Max: 123.64, Avg: 94.56
- Superposition QHD: Score 8366, FPS Min: 49.81, Max: 79.67, Avg: 62.58
So it looks to me that the 2070 on the eGPU is doing an excellent job as expected when it comes to benchmarking. However, why is there a "smoother" gameplay session in Windows + 1070? Thermal throttling? Badly optimised games? Any other ideas?
When I figure out how to upload images, I'll send everything here too. Let me know if there are any other ideas on how to better game with Mac mini + 2070, very interesting stuff!
I wrote it already in this post.
In my setup, it's always > 100 FPS @1440p, even with the highest settings. Ok, this is training, I guess a match goes more on CPU and the CPU load is nearly 0. I don't except this being much lower in match.
"- Valley FHD: FPS 106.2, Score 4444"
for your RTX 2070 is an excellent score. So there is nothing wrong with GPU istelf. Setting are "ExtremeHD"?
EDIT: Ah, it seems you have CPU Problem, 100 Degrees Celsius?! Those synthetic benchmarks do hardly stress the CPU. That's why "match" is much worse than "training" for this game.