RTX 3080, Thunderbolt 3, and Throughput Saturation?

Notifications
Clear all

RTX 3080, Thunderbolt 3, and Throughput Saturation?  

of  5
  RSS

James Knight
(@james_knight)
Eminent Member

I have been toying with the idea of an RTX card in my enclosure since it was my plan to have one to begin with. I then held out in the hope the 20 series would drop in cost. Now though the 3070 looks to be the right fit for both performance, features and price. I think it will also align to the power limitations of my enclosure. However, I wasn't sure if it would work in a PCIe 3.0 slot.

So I will be scanning the forum for posts about members using it. Will keep a keen eye out. Good luck to all those whom make the first jump. 

Setup: Dell Latitude 7300 | i7-8665U | 32GB DDR4 | M2.sata 512GB |
iGPU: UHD 620 | eGPU: RX Vega 56 | Asus XG Station Pro | Thunderbolt 3 (15D9) : NVM 44.00

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

@james_knight, It will definitely work in a PCIe 3.0 slot. I think at some point we're going to definitely be approaching TB3 4-lane saturation, but just crank up the resolution, details and turn on RTX so the GPU has to work harder and start being the bottleneck again. Smile It definitely seems like the 3080 is going to be approaching the maximum of what 4K "ULTRA" an achieve over TB3 as it's not struggling as much to render at that res. If you're using the internal laptop display anyway. Perhaps more headroom is there if you have an external monitor in play.

We really need an 8-lane implementation for eGPU, or perhaps TB5 can implement 4-lanes of "PCIe 4.0" at double data rate. Shrug. I don't know enough about this to comment much further. Perhaps there's an opportunity for PCIe 4 versions of those NVMe eGPU adapters.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Reading through RTX 3080 reviews, the performance gain over RTX 2080 Ti seems to be 30% in 4K. When I manage to get one, I will run it in 4K and compare with the RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

Arizor and Arzen liked
ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Eminent Member

Unfortunately much of the gains seem to be the result of more wattage. The card draws as much as 370 watts. I do think the cooler design could work well in most eGPU enclosures.

Looking forward to more reviews and seeing how it performs as an eGPU. What are people's impression of Nvidia's proprietary features - DLSS / RTX? Is there significant value added there?

With an XG Station Pro the 3080 is out of reach so I am looking at the RTX3070, or a used high end card from the previous gen. If anyone is upgrading and has a hand-me-down to sell, please let me know. I'm still waiting on my Valve Index order to be accepted until I will really want to upgrade from RX580.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dlinfiniti
(@dlinfiniti)

so looks like these people did some testing

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/27.html

and based on this, it seems like we would take a 10-13% hit theoretically as PCIE 3.0 x4 is the equivalent of PCIE 1.1 x16

it'll be interesting to see if people here get similar results as these cards hit the market

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dlinfiniti, It's not that clear cut with PCIe 3.0 over Thunderbolt 3 connection. There's additional loss with TB3 controller encoding and decoding.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet, Hahaha F5 key is worn out and no order placed. Will be a while longer.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage, available today in the UK, they claim, F5 is looking a little worn, switching to Apple R.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

What’s everyone’s opinion on the 3080 benchmarks so far? While the performance gains are there (especially at 4K), the GPU also consumes way more power than the 2080 Ti (nearly 100W more). Technically that isn’t really impressive (being able to cool that much powah is) to me. Obviously I don’t think many care about power - it’s all about the resultant performance and I’m excited to see 4K finally being feasible at high frame rates. That said, I’ll wait for AMD to see what they have cooked up - I mean that’s the only option anyway, 3080 was out of stock the literal second it was available stateside. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  5