Ryzen 4000 laptop + M.2 PCIE 3.0 egpu - could this be a good option?

Notifications
Clear all

Ryzen 4000 laptop + M.2 PCIE 3.0 egpu - could this be a good option?  

RSS

Miroslav Lakota
(@miroslav_lakota)

As Ryzen 4000 laptops are starting to pop up, I am getting a bit puzzled about how to get some good gaming experience for the next few years (5?) without needing to buy a new laptop after 3 years. It seems to me that mobile GPUs become outdated faster than mobile CPUs.

I was thinking of getting a laptop with a Ryzen 4000 CPU and a good performing dGPU (GTX 1650 TI? or even RX5700M/RTX 2060?) for now and in a few years get M.2 PCIE 3.0 eGPU as an upgrade (possibly with a GPU with raytracing, when it gets mainstream).

Do you think this is a good idea, or shall I expect from PCIE 3.0 x 4 to be simply too slow in 3 years? Or is it better to get an older Intel laptop?

I was also thinking of building a desktop since I do not need to game outside of the home, however, since most of the time I am gaming while being on the couch, it might be a bit unpractical. And I would still need at least a cheap laptop for general purpose tasks, university and multimedia content.

Thank you!

This topic was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@miroslav_lakota, At this moment the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 is a very good M.2 eGPU host laptop. It has a Ryzen 7 4800HS CPU and GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q dGPU. There are two M.2 NVMe slots so you can use one for the eGPU adapter. Performance through the M.2 slot should be similar to PCH x4 dGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote