Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT Mac Mini: Low FPS in CSGO

Notifications
Clear all

Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT Mac Mini: Low FPS in CSGO  

RSS

prototofu
(@prototofu)

My average frames per second in Counter Stike Global Offensive in both macOS and Bootcamp are around 130 fps. Stability is not particularly good, with dips down below 100, and peaks up to 300 quite regularly. Not ideal when using a 144 Hz monitor.

Changes to graphical settings, including resolution, do not significantly impact these numbers. No other games or software seem afffected. Benchmark tools provide comparable results to those reported from other users. I can run Borderlands 3 (the most graphically demanding game I own) on Ultra settings at 1440p 144 Hz at 100 fps. I can run Valorant (i.e. a better optimised but similarly competitive CPU-bound game) at over 600 fps.

Specs:

Computer Type: It's a 2020 (read 2018) spec'd out Mac Mini.

GPU: I'm running a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT 8GB in a Razer Core X Chroma enclosure. I typically run it stock, but have messed around with default overclock (2095 MHz) and undervolt to no avail. I've also tested most permutations of the Adrenaline graphics/game/display settings.
CPU: i7 8700B. 6C/12T. Runs fine, usually stable at 4.29 GHz while gaming.
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR4 2666 MHz.
Operating System & Version: Windows Insider 19041.423 (running via Bootcamp), and macOS 10.15.6. The insider builds are necessary for setup of the eGPU under bootcamp.
GPU Drivers: I've iterated through most major Adrenaline driver versions, from 19.2.1 to 20.8.2.

I have already gone through most suggestions found online.

This includes internal CSGO settings (on both OSes):
- Graphics settings and resolutions
- Launch options (lol)
- Config files
- Clean installs of CSGO and Steam
- New Steam accounts
- Running from local drive (read/write > 2500 MB/sec) vs external drive

Different peripherals and hardware:
- Mice (I previously had some issues with higher polling rates in some other older games (e.g. BL2, Black Mesa) which only manifested with the 5700 XT)
- Monitors (1080p 75 Hz and 1440p 144 Hz)
- Active vs passive Thunderbolt 3 cables (eGPU) - Different combinations of ports etc.

Drivers:
- Mutiple DDU and AMD utility cleans
- Adrenaline Drivers from 19.2.1 to 20.8.2

OS and application settings:
- Power settings
- Razer / Corsair / Discord / AMD overlays
- Basically all permutations of the settings available in Adrenaline
- I have not done a clean install of Windows, mainly because of bootcamp hassle, but as the issue is also in macOS, I'm not sure this would help

I am totally out of ideas, and would suspect at this point that these cards just have an issue with CSGO in it's current state - except for the fact that 5700 XTs and CSGO are both extremely popular!
Any reasonable suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@prototofu

Wow. You’ve already tried every potential fix available. So any further suggestions will just be annoying. 

Here’s an annoying suggestion: Try running the “Full Blast” preset in the Macs Fan Control free utility to cool your Mini’s i7. 

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RP W5500 (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.6 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RP W5500 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
prototofu
(@prototofu)

Thanks for the suggestion! I usually have it going full blast for gaming anyway (it doesn’t really seem to make much of a difference). 

It’s at least reassuring(?) to know I’ve ticked off most other options.

I’ve actually gone an nuked my bootcamp partition to give it another go (despite all the potential setup headaches), so will update if that helps (once I figure out how to get out of bootcamp when the macOS partition disappears!).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
prototofu
(@prototofu)

Back for an update.

After some heavy waves of regret in not saving the original config and ISO I used, I finally managed to get bootcamp up and running again, albeit on 1903 rather than the 2004 fast ring insider build I had been using previously (for anyone troubleshooting, the youtube link in the bootcamp drivers download folder is seemingly the most reliable way to get things working). Sadly, Microsoft has now changed the insider system, and the new fast ring equivalent (Dev) doesn't work with my Mac Mini and 5700 XT (black screen after the "second" eGPU fan startup if anyone knows what I'm talking about). 

Seems after this fresh install my CSGO fps is back up to a respectable 200-300 fps, but unfortunately can't pinpoint the fix any further than that. Quite a few changes were made in the new install, including the newest (20.8.3) AMD drivers which claim to fix a stuttering issue in CSGO, and which could be related.

Appreciate all the help users have put into this forum!

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@prototofu

Thanks for all the good info. 

New Windows builds continue to vary in usefulness with eGPU setups. Arrgh... 

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RP W5500 (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.6 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RP W5500 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote