[Solved] Setup Pre-build Questions on 2019 I9 VEGA 20 15" MacBook Pro/Radeon VII/Razer Core X
I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and wanted to try out the eGPU options for when I am at home. I just ordered the Razer Core X and the AMD Radeon VII graphics card. I am mostly going to be using the eGPU for video editing through Final Cut Pro and Photoshop on macOS and AAA title gaming through bootcamp on Windows 10.
The items are on the way and I wanted to prepare as this will be my first experiment with an eGPU. What should I expect from this build? Is it just turn on the laptop and then plug the Razer Core X to it? Do I need to download anything else besides the latest macOS and windows bootcamp drivers? Also, I read before that I should connect the eGPU on the right side I/O. Is there something else I should know going forward?
That's my exact setup... the things you'll need to know... bootcampdrivers.com is your friend... that hot plugging doesn't work....
I am using an external monitor so my eGPU has a display port cable running to my Alienware (the one with Freesync at 240hz... yes, 240 fps is very nice)
1. Install the card into the enclosure and connect to the MBP while in OS X using the topmost Tb3 connection on the left side (not the side with the headphone jack). Make sure your OS is up-to-date. You should see an icon in your menu bar that looks like a computer chip. When you click/hover it should say "Disconnect Radeon VII". This means all is good.
2. So, disconnect Radeon VII (use that menu item I noted in #1) and unplug it from your machine. Run boot camp installer and go through the fun process of win10... (all those fun updates!)
3. Once windows is all up-to-date, you need to UNINSTALL a few of the KB items [there are a bunch of posts on here about which KB ITEMS you'll need to uninstall]. You also need to make sure windows doesn't automatically install them later... look up "aka google" group policy editing to manage autoupdate... (you want to find where it lets you be notified and to have to click a button to do updates...)
4. Once you are in a stable setup.... head over to bootcampdrivers.com and find Mat's latest package... and FOLLOW his steps.... it means DDU for the legacy AMD drivers... then reinstalling the drivers he provided....
5. When you are done installing the bootcampdrivers stuff and back in Windows, now comes the fun part... you are going to plug in your eGPU! Shutdown the laptop...
6. Plug your eGPU into the machine... and fire her up (eGPU, machine, the whole she-bang)... give it a few moments... your laptop screen and monitor should show the login window... once you see this, the magic is successful and you can now game like it is going out of style! Setup Windows as you would set up a system with a second monitor... you'll love it!
Obviously, there will be some variation and some hiccups, but you should be on the path to capping bots like you're in a Rambo movie.
On my Mini, I only have the issue randomly on sleep... it never happens on shutdown.