Thunderbolt AIC (Gigabyte Titan Ridge Rev 2.0) on Asus X570-I strix Motherboard ...

Notifications
Clear all

Thunderbolt AIC (Gigabyte Titan Ridge Rev 2.0) on Asus X570-I strix Motherboard not connecting to Egpu  

RSS

maverick123
(@maverick123)

Hi I have a gigabyte Titan ridge 2.0 AIC connected to the ASUS X570 I STRIX motherboard with a ryzen 5950x on it , I am able to get thunderbolt drivers installed, I had to short the pins 5 and 3 on the thunderbolt header to get the AIC to start up, I am able to run Display port pass through, hot plug USB 3.1 devices and I can also get it to recognize external thunderbolt enclosures, but I am unable to detect the external GPU plugged into the thunderbolt enclosure .If I plug the same enclosure in my razer blade I can see the egpu in device manager in addition to this I am able to install the right drivers for the RTX 2080ti gpu installed within. But no matter what I do I am unable to see the GPU in my Ryzen windows PC when connected via the AIC. Looking in device manager I see the PCIE to PCIE device driver is malfunctioning and that happens only when I connect the EGPU.

More details about my system, I have an internal RTX 3090 GPU on the PCIE16 expansion slot, and I have a m.2 to PCIE16x Riser which is used to connect the AIC , is this causing an issue ?

The EGPU enclosure the Akitio Node with a 600 Watt SFX PSU.

Even though I cannot use both GPU's at the same time, At the very least I should be able to see the egpu recognized.

I understand that this is a very unusual set up but if anyone can help me get the EGPU recognized. 

This topic was modified 11 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@maverick123, The M.2 to PCIe riser is likely the issue in this setup. If you were to use the M.2 slot for eGPU, I'd recommend a more performant option in the ADT-Link R43SG adapter.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
maverick123
(@maverick123)

Thank you @itsage , I am using that same M.2 to PCIE adapter , I wanted to leave a message that I got this issue resolved by adding hackflags to the windows registry as windows 10 was not enumerating the PCIE bus on hotplug of the thunderbolt enclosure. I added Hackflags as suggested here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/deployment/error-attach-pci-express-expansion-chassis

After making this change I see the EGPU gets detected and I can install the drivers for it . I DDU'd the entire system and installed the latest drivers from Nvidia, So basically now my system has an AMD Ryzen 9 5950x on a Asus ROG Strix ITX x570 MOBO with the back M.2 Expanded to a PCIE 16 Slot, I have connected the Titan Ridge Rev 2.0 Card to this slot and powered it using spare PCIE 6 pin cables, I have the USB 2.0 header connected to the MOBO and the Thunderbolt (THB_C) port on the AIC has its two pins(3 and 5) shorted to bring the card up on boot.The DGPU is a RTX 3090 FE and the EGPU is a RTX 2080TI

I could get the drivers for the AIC installed, I see the thunderbolt controller being detected in device manager, when I connect the EGPU, I see the enclosure detected in the thunderbolt app and the GPU (RTX 2080ti) under display drivers in device manager. None of the devices are reporting any error .

But I am unable to connect a display to the EGPU, I am unable to see the EGPU in NVIDIA control panel, all it shows is the RTX 3090. I tried MSI afterburner and even there I just see the DGPU , the only other place I see the EGPU detected is in GPU-Z where is reports both GPUs . I am unable to run games using the EGPU or any display.

One more symptom that might help you or other experienced members to diagnose my issue is that when Windows goes to sleep with the EGPU connected, after which if I wake up the system, the system wakes up momentarily and then crashes . This is repeatable .

Finally I cannot get a USB 3.0 device detected when I connect it to one of the thunderbolt ports on the titan ridge.

The Following is the list of things that I got working so far,

1) EGPU Detection

2) Thunderbolt Peer to Peer Networking

3) Display Port Passthrough

If I can get some help resolving the other issues it would be great.

Thank you

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
maverick123
(@maverick123)

@itsage,  Also the USB 3.0/3.1 hot plug issue started after I plugged in the USB2.0 Header on my MOBO and enabled the hackflags, It was working fine before 

ReplyQuote
Lu Yang
(@lu_yang)

I have the same problem with ASUS X570 I STRIX, you are the only one I find provided some viable solution to make pcie devices show up, I will give it a try to see if it works.

I don't have USB function start from beginning. I'm wondering whether firmware plays a role here, mine is v50.

ReplyQuote
maverick123
(@maverick123)

I did not downgrade my pci.sys file before, I might give that a shot and report the results

ReplyQuote
Lu Yang
(@lu_yang)

I don't think it's related to pci.sys, I was referring to GC titan ridge card firmware. I saw some posts saying it stops working after upgrading, the most successful version is v23. You can check the controller version from TB control center about section. I'm really curious whether your card version is under v23...

ReplyQuote
Dustin Dorris
(@dustin_dorris)

Posted by: @maverick123

Hi I have a gigabyte Titan ridge 2.0 AIC connected to the ASUS X570 I STRIX motherboard with a ryzen 5950x on it , I am able to get thunderbolt drivers installed, I had to short the pins 5 and 3 on the thunderbolt header to get the AIC to start up, I am able to run Display port pass through, hot plug USB 3.1 devices and I can also get it to recognize external thunderbolt enclosures, but I am unable to detect the external GPU plugged into the thunderbolt enclosure .If I plug the same enclosure in my razer blade I can see the egpu in device manager in addition to this I am able to install the right drivers for the RTX 2080ti gpu installed within. But no matter what I do I am unable to see the GPU in my Ryzen windows PC when connected via the AIC. Looking in device manager I see the PCIE to PCIE device driver is malfunctioning and that happens only when I connect the EGPU.

More details about my system, I have an internal RTX 3090 GPU on the PCIE16 expansion slot, and I have a m.2 to PCIE16x Riser which is used to connect the AIC , is this causing an issue ?

The EGPU enclosure the Akitio Node with a 600 Watt SFX PSU.

Even though I cannot use both GPU's at the same time, At the very least I should be able to see the egpu recognized.

I understand that this is a very unusual set up but if anyone can help me get the EGPU recognized. 

Would you mind sharing a picture of the shorting of the pins?  I'm going to be trying to set this up on my Crosshair VIII Hero, and would like to see what you did.

Thank you in advance!

ReplyQuote