Setup & Software Discussions
2011 27" iMac, Akitio t2 / 1060 / win 10 Help!

[Solved] 2011 27" iMac, Akitio t2 / 1060 / win 10 Help!  

RSS

nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

I'm trying to get my iMac working with the egpu in windows 10. At first I could leave the akitio plugged in and attached, it saw the 'generic' box in the device manager. I got an error 43, so I uninstalled the driver and restarted my computer. 

Now I get the black screen after loading into windows, but if I unplug the Akitio from the thunderbolt it boots up. I've tried the 'wait' method to plug in the TB cable, but I can't get windows to see the device anymore. 

Any thoughts or tips? 

Mid 2011 iMac / Akitio Thunder 2 / GTX1060

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

It isn't the solution to your present problem, but it might solve the Code 43 when you inevitably get it again: What is the driver version you've tried to use? It looks like drivers after 372.70 will Code 43 with the GTX10XX cards when used as eGPUs. Download 372.70 and give that a shot.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

I had installed 372.70, but that still gave me the error 43. I uninstalled and was going to try the previous version when all the rest of the trouble started. 

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

Does your system detect anything if you plug in the TB cable once you are already in windows?

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

Not that I can tell. 

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

It randomly worked with the Akitio attached, I installed the 372.70 driver again and restarted. Back to black screen. 

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

After reading through some of the other posts, it looks like I'll have to wait until I can get more power to the box / card. Included 60w might be part of my problem. 

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

Wait. You are using a 60W PSU for a GTX1060? Did you connect anything to the card's 6-pin power input?

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

haha, nope! It makes the card and box spin up though. And when it does show up in the device manager I can install drivers. Would using the 60w cause black screen issues? 

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

It would cause all sorts of issues and in general it won't work at all. Overloading a power supply is not smart, either: You should probably stop trying until you have a normal power delivery solution figured out, including a 6-pin connector to the card and a barrel plug to the Akitio itself, with a total power delivery capability of ~200W or more.

In general delivering too little power will cause crashes, problems of the card not initializing. You are severely power-starving the card, so you would be experiencing all sorts of weird behavior.

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

Ah, I though I could get a head start installing drivers and whatnot until my adapter for the DA-2 came in. 

Thanks! I'll update once I get mo-powah!

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

Made the necessary cable mods myself.

Dell DA-2 up and running = Everything WORKS!!! Only had Overwatch to test it with right now, but ~90-100 with completely maxed out settings. 

I changed the system settings to make my external screen the main. Should I disable the iMac internal graphics? 

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

Excellent news 🙂

I don't think you need to. In both my eGPU setups the machine's own GPU is still working to no ill effect.

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

Awesome, thanks for your help! 

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Nice work there. Would you mind sharing an implementation writeup?

A report of the parts used, some pics of your gear, a 3dmark11/13 run bench result links would bring your build to life.

Other 2011 iMac users then confident of trying to replicate it.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
nkh004
(@nkh004)
Eminent Member

Sure! I'll post a new thread with all the details this weekend.

I'm going to work on modifying the box so I can run it closed. Ventelation ect. 

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
GroliD
(@grolid)

By using your setup, can you use your egpu on the internal display while playing games in Windows 10? Or do you always need an external display? I am also using a iMac 27" Mid 2011.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote