Setup & Software Discussions
2012 21.5 inch Imac Egpu Support (how)

2012 21.5 inch Imac Egpu Support (how)  

RSS

CsgoOnMac
(@csgoonmac)

I have an iMac 21.5 inch late 2012 , i5 2.7ghz, 8gb ddr3 ram, and I want to pair it with a bison box 3 with preferably a gtx 780

For now, I understand that I need to have the bison box 3, a separate power supply, apple's tb3 to tb2 adapter.

However, is this all I need? Please note that using an external monitor is not an option for me, I will accept any other workarounds like bootcamp , installing patches and Nvidia drivers etc. 

Could someone tell me if the three things and the gtx 780 is all I need as well as the necessary steps or softwares I have to run? 

Is there any limitations to this setup? My main goal is to turn my main working and web browsing computer to a decent gaming. computer able to run csgo at 150-200fps at med. 1080p settings or Fortnite at med. 1080p with 100-150 fps. 

I found a used bison box at an amazing US$200 price tag negotiable and could be even cheaper as I don't want the psu. I have a spare 650w 80+ bronze power supply and I am willing to spend a few extra bucks on the cable and adapter (even though the apple adapter is painfully overpriced).   I already have the gtx 780 and I don't feel like replacing it for a better gpu. 

Please help, as egpu could be my only option as I don't want to buy another computer yet. Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote