Setup & Software Discussions
2014 Mac mini Bootcamp Black Screen After Windows Update (Driver)

2014 Mac mini Bootcamp Black Screen After Windows Update (Driver)  

RSS

omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

I was doing some Win10 updates and updated Intel Graphics drivers.  Update went fine and system rebooted, but I forgot to disconnect my eGPU. I remembered when I first setup the eGPU that if I left the eGPU plugged in during reboots, the system would start up but the 1070 Ti would be yellow banged with error 12.  When the system came up, it was at the login screen.  Logged in and checked Device Manager to find out that the 1070 Ti is working fine without error 12, and I even started running the Heaven benchmark to make sure it was still working fine (this was with my display connected directly to the Mac mini), and it was.  HOWEVER, there was no longer a Intel Graphics adapter which I remember used to be there with the 1070 Ti.  So I shut down and disconnect the eGPU, but when I powered on, I never saw the rEFInd screen or the Win loading screen with the spinning dots.  The display only came up at the login screen basically when the eGPU comes up.

So I can't get into Mac, and I can't get any display unless my eGPU is connected.  I'm trying to download Intel drivers to see if I can get them reinstalled, but I'm a little doubtful since I haven't found the device in Device Manager.

To make matters worse, I updated to build 1809 from 1803 before I really understood what was going on with the iGPU.  In the 1803 Update History, I could see the item for the Intel Graphics driver update.  Now that I'm on 1809, all the 1803 updates are gone.  There is an option to uninstall updates, but I'm avoiding that until I do more troubleshooting.

If anybody has any advice please let me know.  If anybody has a Mac mini with Bootcamp, let me know where the Intel Graphics device is in Device Manager so I can possibly try to locate it and delete the current driver it may have gotten in the update.

This topic was modified 8 months ago

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)

@omardesu I am running a similiar system (see signature) with bootcamp and Windows build 1809 and it works fine.
However, I can provide the requested information not earlier then next friday - sorry.
Hope you get faster support.
Cheers

Mac Mini 2014 + Apple TB2/TB3 adapter + AKiTiO Node Lite (modif) + EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the reply @hans-st.  I was able to finally get into MacOs by rebooting and then blindly selecting one of the Mac partition selections from rEFInd.  I had to try to remember the timing of rEFInd to start moving the arrow key to the partition.  Once I got in, I just reverted bootcamp to restore my Mac to a single partition.  I did install bootcamp again, but once I got setup, Windows update had updated the Intel Graphics 5100 driver again.  Fortunately, I was able to roll back the driver before reboot and I didn't get shut out of the iGPU again like I described in the original post.

To avoid future updates, I edited the group policy (gpedit.msc) so that no more Display Adapter drivers could be installed.  The only two drivers that are active before this group policy restriction is the Intel Graphics 5100 and Nvidia 1070 Ti.  I even tried to select the option to also apply to the current devices and it uninstalled both my drivers saying that there was a restriction on this type of driver. This was pretty simple to fix by removing the restriction, update the drivers (no need to download anything since the drivers were already there but just not linked to the devices), and then reenable the restriction w/out hitting that checkbox.  Now anytime that a Display Adapter driver wants to install, it just gets blocked by Group Policy.

edit: adding some screenshots of gpedit.msc

Here's the path to prevent drivers getting installed:

Launch gpedit.msc > Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions.  Double click on "Prevent Installation of devices that match these device setup classes".  Click on Enabled.  In the Options section right below, click "Show...", then double click the empty value field and enter the value found in Device Manager and hit OK.

2014macmini Win10 1070ti gpedit disabledisplaydriverinstall 01
2014macmini Win10 1070ti gpedit disabledisplaydriverinstall 02
2014macmini Win10 1070ti gpedit disabledisplaydriverinstall 03

To find the Device Class ID, open Device Manager and double click one of the Display Adapter drivers.  Go to Details and from the Property drop down menu, select "ClassGuid".  You can then right click the ID and just paste it into the table from gpedit.msc.

2014macmini Win10 1070ti devman classgui

This post was modified 8 months ago

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote