2015 MacBook Pro suddenly unresponsive[SOLVED]  

meagloth
(@meagloth)
February 7, 2018 2:51 am  

My computer: a 15″ 2015 MacBook Pro that I use for games and school. It’s is bootcamped to windows 10 and I play games on it with an external graphics card; a gtx1050ti in an akitio node through a TB2->TB3 adaptor. In order to have the 1050 accelerate the native display I boot to a USB with magic code in it: an ‘EFI boot. I have been using this setup happily for many months with relatively few problems.

The situation: Just this evening I let my computer restart into windows so I could play some games. I was in OSX and everything was running fine. This restart was without my eGPU of flash drive plugged in(though I may have absentmindedly hotplugged one or both before it finished restarting) however, instead of booting into windows as normal, I got a dark blue field with a mouse cursor. I was able to move the mouse but there where no icons in the screen. Not to concerned (sometimes it does funny things; I’ve never had a serious problem) I held the power button to restart. I believe at this point the eGPU was plugged in(not sure). The computer powered off as I expected but will not turn back on. There is no fan, no boot noise, and the trackpad does not click. The MagSafe charger flashed green when first plugged in and then turns amber. I tried doing a SMC reset by holding shift+control+option+power for 10 second the simultaneously releasing them. As I release the keys the charger flashed green, and resets to amber after about a second. The computer will still not respond.

I am at a total loss. Please help.

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
February 7, 2018 2:48 pm  

SMC reset went through successfully as you described means the power connection to the logic board is good. The force shut down must have done something though. My recommendation is to remove everything from its ports including the MagSafe 2. Press and hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds to perform a power cycle. Release the Power button then press it once to see if your MacBook Pro would boot again.

If that doesn’t work, you may need to disconnect the battery for a couple of hours. You’ll need a P5 Pentalobe screwdriver to remove the back cover in order to access the battery connector. Once you reconnect the battery connector, simply plugging in the MagSafe 2 should power the computer on. If all fails, you may need further assistance from AppleCare.

Numerous implementation guides

ReplyQuote
meagloth
(@meagloth)
February 7, 2018 3:17 pm  

Thanks for the reply. I tried this along with several other suggestions( nvram reset, boot to recovery mode, and other versions of holding the power button) and they have all had the same effect. 
I have not disconnected the battery yet, but it looks like that is the next step. 
Whst are the odds the computer is totally bricked? Had anyone had a similar situation with the EFI boot?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
February 7, 2018 3:23 pm  

You have the apple_set_os.efi on the external USB thumb drive so I highly doubt it had done any damage to the Mac firmware.

ReplyQuote
meagloth
(@meagloth)
February 7, 2018 3:32 pm  

Thank you that’s promising. I’m going to try and get a one of these silly screwdrivers.

ReplyQuote
meagloth
(@meagloth)
February 7, 2018 9:12 pm  

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am now typing from an apparently fully functioning MacBook Pro. I unplugged the battery for about half an hour and everything seems to be working fine. It booted in to windows on startup and then into Mac after I restarted. Thanks you.

Fedor and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
February 7, 2018 9:35 pm  

I’m very glad to hear. The force shut down must have messed with the power management as initially guessed.

Fedor liked
ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register