2016 15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar RP460 + XFX RX580 (Sonnet Breakaway Box 550) + Win10 Pro Bootcamp + Mining  

leyvsford
(@leyvsford)
December 10, 2017 5:43 pm  

Hi Everyone!

I will be going through my trials and errors trying to get the eGPU set up with Windows 10 via Bootcamp.

My setup:

• 2016 15" Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460
    • OS X 10.13.2
    • Windows 10 Pro Bootcamp (in progress getting to work)
  • AMD XFX RX580 GPU
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550
  • 27" LG 4K 27UD68-P Monitor

What works:

• eGPU out of the box in Mac OS X 10.13.2
    • Still shows as "AMD R9 xxx"
    • Prompts me to log out to use eGPU, otherwise works perfectly
  • eGPU with Monitor

What doesn't (yet):

• Getting setup working in Windows 10 Pro

Mining on OS X:

• Mining currently works in OS X, using a fork of EthMiner.
  • I'm getting about 16.3 Mh/s (mining only on eGPU in OS X) mining Ethereum mining under ethermine.org pool
  • Total power consumption (includes power consumption of MacBook Pro) of ~204W according to a TP-Link smart outlet I bought.

Mining on Windows 10:

• Work in progress to get eGPU recognized

ReplyQuote
wizzfuzz
(@wizzfuzz)
February 7, 2018 9:31 pm  

Hey there,

I've a similar setup, with Sonnet 550w and 2017 MBP 15", Geforce 1070GTX

Recently setup mining in both OSX and bootcamp. TBH, bootcamp runs much smoother and easier for me.

Not sure why but my hashrate is dismal in OSX using that mac fork of ethminer. Also for some reason when I begin mining on OSX the Geforce drops out of display preferences and I only see the intel or Radeon listed, my system also becomes extremely laggy even thought it's sitting at just 15% CPU load.

With bootcamp, I got lucky and didn't run into the error 12 issue. It seemed to work for me after using  https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch and I think integrated.bat   

ReplyQuote