Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [GUIDE] MacBook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

of  14
  RSS

Rapunzel
(@rapunzel)
Eminent Member

I have a MSI RX 460 4GB OC and cannot get it to work on Windows 10 at all. I tried EVERYTHING but the DIY tool. The final attempt is to use the DIY tool, but I need a MBR installation for that, which I do not have.

I also cannot get the card to work with acceleration on macOS, beta or non beta.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
knaughts
(@knaughts)

I'm using a Razer Core containing a GTX 1080, attached to a late-2016 15" MBP. I've tried a number of these steps, and been unable to use the 1080 in OSX or in Windows 10 (via Bootcamp).

When I look at the Device Manager, I do not see "iSight Camera" or "PCI Root Bridge" or "PCI Express Downstream Switch Port" or "PCI Express Root Port". This means I can't follow most of the suggestions above. I've attached a screenshot of my Device Manager, in various views:

devices by connection
devices by type

I've also attempted the DSDT override. This seemed to be going smoothly, though I ran into trouble when decompiling. There were several errors that refs.txt was not able to resolve:

External (_GPE.MMTB, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.DD02._BCM, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C0.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C0.PS3X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C1.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C1.TPD7.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.I2C1.TPD8.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.H_EC.ECRD, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.H_EC.ECWT, MethodObj)    // 2 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0, UnknownObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.SGPO, MethodObj)    // 2 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG1.ICMB, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 1 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG1.UPSB.LSTX, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 7 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG2.ICMB, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 0 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG2.UPSB.LSTX, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 2 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.SAT0.SDSM, MethodObj)    // 4 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.SDHC.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.SDHC.WI01.PS3X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.TGPE, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 0 arguments
    External (_SB_.PCI0.XHC1, UnknownObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.XHC1.USBM, IntObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.XHC_.PS0X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (_SB_.PCI0.XHC_.PS3X, MethodObj)    // 0 Arguments    // From external reference file
    External (HDOS, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 0 arguments
    External (HNOT, MethodObj)    // Warning: Unknown method, guessing 1 arguments
    External (MDBG, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments    // From external reference file
This produces a number of errors when I attempt to compile the modified DSL file:

dsdt-modified.dsl   9814:                 0x01020015, Zero), If (((Arg0 == 0x03) || (Arg0 == 0x04)))
Error    6126 -                                              ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_IF, expecting PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN or ','

dsdt-modified.dsl   9815:                 {
Error    6126 -                          ^ syntax error, unexpected '{'

dsdt-modified.dsl   9818:                 })
Error    6126 -                           ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN

dsdt-modified.dsl   9834:
Error    6126 - syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_METHOD, expecting $end and premature End-Of-File

Any advice? Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: knaughts

This produces a number of errors when I attempt to compile the modified DSL file:

dsdt-modified.dsl   9814:                 0x01020015, Zero), If (((Arg0 == 0x03) || (Arg0 == 0x04)))
Error    6126 -                                              ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_IF, expecting PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN or ','

dsdt-modified.dsl   9815:                 {
Error    6126 -                          ^ syntax error, unexpected '{'

dsdt-modified.dsl   9818:                 })
Error    6126 -                           ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN

dsdt-modified.dsl   9834:
Error    6126 - syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_METHOD, expecting $end and premature End-Of-File

Any advice? Thanks!

The fix for this problem is here. Also, a pre-compiled 2016 13" MBP DSDT override exists to test or compare against here.

Per the error 12 fix numbering in the opening post, the apple_set_os.efi method to enable the iGPU (1) should have been tried first before doing a DSTD override.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
knaughts
(@knaughts)

Perfect, thanks! But since you suggest it, I'll try this EFI boot method first. I reformatted the USB drive, and wrote your EFI to `/Volumes/EFI_BOOT_DR/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi`. When I reboot and hold Option, I see "EFI Boot" as an option.

I was able to boot into Windows 10, but I'm not sure how to check whether the EFI boot was successful. I do not see a "PCI Express Root Port" in the Device Manager; it looks the same as attached in my previous post.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: knaughts

I was able to boot into Windows 10, but I'm not sure how to check whether the EFI boot was successful. I do not see a "PCI Express Root Port" in the Device Manager; it looks the same as attached in my previous post.   

Pls check if Device Manager->Display adapters lists your iGPU to confirm successful apple_set_os.efi use. That being the purpose of it here. If having difficulty in getting the iGPU working then pls post in that related thread: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Inotna
(@inotna)
Eminent Member

Hi everyone. Thanks for this community I have been following on the sideline for a while. 

So I got the Touchbar 2016 MBP 13" and I just brought a second hand Akitio Node. He didn't have the time and he hadn't used it yet. So he sold it for $250 convert from DKK?

I got the Sapphire RX480 8GB I spend a hell lot of time to fix the Error 12. So I got the pre compiled DSDT didt fix the large memory and made the clover USB and used EFI file for internal screen. No matter what I did I couldn't  get it to work in windows 10.  macOS on the other hand was no issue. I spend two days trying to get RX480 to work in windows, but no luck.

I have a old Nvidia 630GT laying around and instant it wokrded flawlessly.  Both with external screen and internal screen. 

So im buying a new GPU. So I was thinking about a getting 1060 6GB and I know it won't work in macOS, but I will use the egpu for gaming. So the question does it matter which version I get? I see lot of people use the EVGA, but I found Asus Dual GTX 1060 6GB will this work too?

https://www.power.dk/pc-og-tilbehor/datakomponenter/grafikkort-gpu/asus-dual-geforce-gtx-1060-oc-6gb/p-403177/

Sorry for for the long post, hope someone can answer my question, thanks!

ReplyQuote
Lace
 Lace
(@lace)

I would recommend to you to buy a used GTX 970 or GTX980 (Ti). Both cards work for Windows and MacOS and they are more powerfull as the GTX 1060 except the VRAM amount and some (in my opinion minor) features. Especially the GTX 970 is available for very good prices.

ReplyQuote
Inotna
(@inotna)
Eminent Member

Thanks.

Friday I decided on 1060 6GB. And It worked flawlessly in windows 10 with the Akitio Node. I have already been playing some CS GO, Battlefield 1 and Hitman.

ReplyQuote
awhi078
(@awhi078)

inota - what internal MacBook pro gb are you using? 8 or 16GB? did you have to dstd override with the 1060 6gb? cheers

ReplyQuote
Slucas13
(@slucas13)

I have a MBP w/touch.   Is there anyway to run an Nvidia 1080 TI?   I get the code 12 air and for the life of me I cannot figure out what to do. With that connected it freezes in windows but it will register it and recognize it inside of the OS X 

ReplyQuote
 of  14