Share:

2016 MacBook Pro 15 and RTX 2070  

RSS

Dozeball
(@dozeball)
April 9, 2019 4:19 am  

Hi All.

So I had my Razer Core X loaded with an older 970 and everything was working great.

Today, I tried to keep everything as is, but slot an RTX 2070 into the Core X, to replace the aged 970, and....No dice!!

It seems that with the Core X plugged in, the computer will not even turn on, and when I try to hot plug it:

1) At the Windows boot logo, it just hangs.

2) If I hot plug it once in Windows, I get a BSoD, and then the computer turns off, and will not turn on again, until I unplug the eGPU.

Is it possible that the 2016 MacBook Pro 15 just doesn't have the chops to run this kind of setup?

I have followed itsage's guide perfectly, which is how I got the 970 working, but the 2070 just doesn't want to play ball....I am currently doing a completely clean setup with a ROG STRIX 1080, hoping it will work, but I would have really liked the 2070 to work.

Any tips or even opinions would be great!

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 9, 2019 2:09 pm  

@dozeball Your 2016 15" MacBook Pro is fine. I encountered the same boot hang issue with RTX series GPUs too. It's likely a firmware compatibility issues between the laptop and GPU. If you're using a boot loader such as rEFInd or automate-eGPU EFI, you can try booting into Windows without eGPU connected. Once Windows is fully loaded, hot-plug the RTX 2070 eGPU. It may take a few minutes to Windows 10 to sort out the drivers. If BSOD occurs, download and run DDU to remove all existing Nvidia drivers. At next hot-plug you can manually install latest Nvidia drivers.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Dozeball
(@dozeball)
April 9, 2019 2:15 pm  

@theitsage

thanks for that...I’ll give it a try on the weekend...The 1080 is working fine for me, during the work day.

could the BSoD I consistently got when hot-plugging simply be because I was plugging in the eGPU too soon, before Windows had fully loaded?

Also, from reading, there seems to be some anecdotal evidence of the latest insider build being more eGPU accommodating (April 2019)...Might that be worth a try?

I should probably also point out that it isn’t a reference RTX card.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 9, 2019 2:38 pm  

I'd be inclined to say Windows is ready to go when you see the Desktop. BSOD when you hot-plug an eGPU is due to numerous reasons. My guess is the drivers Windows was trying to load for your RTX 2070 didn't play well with it. It's a challenge to have one set of drivers for three GPU generations.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Dozeball
(@dozeball)
April 9, 2019 5:41 pm  

Fair points, though I did try a complete boot camp removal and reinstall via the utility, following the same guide you wrote up for the 2016 MacBook Pro.

When I try the RTX card again, this weekend, I’ll reply with the BSoD errors that the system threw off...I THINK that there were two different BSoD errors, one may have been related to the order that I disabled the Thunderbolt busses, though...I suspect you’ll be able to make more sense of them than I will, though I DO KNOW that one of them specifically referenced unavailable memory.

ReplyQuote