[GUIDE] Macbook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10  

Page 3 / 3 Prev
  RSS

Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member
December 20, 2017 8:32 pm  
Posted by: ikir

hi guys, sorry for asking this but i’m very rusty with Windows.

I’m trying to install eGPU with bootcamp on my 13" MacBook Pro mid-2017

i have large memory pool, but I followed some step and guide here without luck. So maybe I misunderstood something or following the wrong guide.

I’m reinstalling Windows now, clean Win 10, what should I do to make my Mantiz Venus + RX Vega 56 to work.

Are you getting error 12 or its not being detected at all?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
December 21, 2017 12:18 am  

Vega 56 is detected with error 12.

eGPU.it | LG 34" 4K 34UC88 curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD --> my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
MacsAre1
(@macsare1)
March 4, 2018 8:38 pm  

I went down the list. apple_set_os.efi didn't work so I installed rEFInd on the internal drive (though my Windows install is on an external USB drive) and uncommented the spoof_OSX_version line. This got the internal GPU working in Windows so I could at least see Device Manager and the Error 12. I tried the options for dealing with error 12, and reallocating the PCIe bridges seems to be the only thing that works. I disabled an empty PCIe bridge and I disabled the internal SSD (Windows can't mount an AFPS drive anyway), neither seemed to help. Doing step 5, disabling each level of the PCIe bridge one by one and then re-enabling, is the only thing that seems to work. Problem is, I have to do this every time I reboot!
Running the latest version of Windows 10. Reinstalling is not an option, this was all done on a fresh install. But the install happens on a different Windows system using WinToUSB.

Any ideas for getting a permanent fix? Should I try the DSDT override or the VGA enable bit instead?

This is a UEFI system but can't find a lot of people using an eGPU with the 2013 MacBook Air. Also, few people using Windows on a USB drive.

Sonnet Breakaway Box with AMD RX 580 running via TB1 on an 11" MacBook Air 2013 on High Sierra 10.13.3

ReplyQuote
jipsom
(@jipsom)
March 31, 2018 9:35 am  

Hi, DAngerous. I know this is an old post to be responding to. Just wondering if you ever got the iMac working and had any advice?
I'm getting Code 12 and can't get around it.

SYSTEM
iMac 21 2017
High Sierra 10.13.4
Radeon pr 560 (internal)
Sonnet box + AMD rx580 8gb
Windows 10 (bootcamp partition)

eGPU works in fine OSX (10.13.4 is plug-n-play). But code 12 in bootcamp Win 10 is defeating me.

Any advice?

Rich

ReplyQuote
Zetthard
(@zetthard)
May 27, 2018 2:45 pm  

Hi, @nando4 and other fellows.

I'm trying to set up eGPU in Bootcamp Windows and having a hard time with error 12. I have no knowledge on coding and staff, thus fully rely on solutions you guys have discovered and published here. My hardware/software is:

-mid-2104 15" retina MBP with Iris 5200 graphics only (It has two TB2 ports on the left side) (model: MacBookPro11,2)
-macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
-Boot Camp Windows 10 (build 1803), installed using Boot Camp Assistant utility
-Apple original TB2 cable + TB2 -> TB3 adapter
-Sonnet 350 box with Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8Gb

I successfully set up eGPU in MacOS using @mac_editor's PurgeWrangler. Thanks a million again for that script! Nothing more was required. Only the script.

For Windows setup I used USB stick with apple_set_os.efi as described by @goalque. It brought me to a state where Windows boots using EFI boot with iGPU active and running the internal LCD, while eGPU is plugged in and fans are spinning. Windows even recognised the RX 580 in device manager after couple of reboots but with error code 12. External monitor attached to eGPU is black.

For troubleshooting I followed step 5 in your [GUIDE] Macbook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10 with no success. I skipped the step with DDU from @itsage's Boot Camp eGPU setup guide, cuz looks like it's only required for Macs with dGPU, which is not my case. Or should I do this step as well? I also downloaded latest Radeon driver from AMD website, but manual installation fails for some reason.

From what I read throughout the forum I can see that one of the solution can be to do clover magic, but it seems to be very risky and involves deep system hacking. Hence I'm here to seek assistance on this issue. What can solve my problem 12?

I really appreciate your work on the topic guys, and any possible help.

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
Charly4
(@charly4)
Eminent Member
June 2, 2018 5:48 pm  

Hi @nando4 

I've been using your DIY eGPU solution since 2 years ago with no problems, everything perfect but two weeks ago with Windows 10 spring update your solution stop working.

When I start the DIY process it keeps frozen when pic compilation.

Any idea how to solve these?

Thank you so much!!

Macbook PRO Retina 2012 15" (Intel HD 4000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 650M)
Akitio Thunder 2 + Nvidia 970 GTX

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
June 2, 2018 5:59 pm  

@charly4, please uninstall the software by running c:\egpu\uninstall-disk-image,  do a NVRAM reset, then reinstall and reconfigure the software according to email provided to you earlier. Please correspond via email if require further assistance:  https://egpu.io/egpu-setup-13x/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
ghettocivic
(@ghettocivic)
June 4, 2018 10:03 pm  
Posted by: Zetthard

Hi, @nando4 and other fellows.

I'm trying to set up eGPU in Bootcamp Windows and having a hard time with error 12. I have no knowledge on coding and staff, thus fully rely on solutions you guys have discovered and published here. My hardware/software is:

-mid-2104 15" retina MBP with Iris 5200 graphics only (It has two TB2 ports on the left side) (model: MacBookPro11,2)
-macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
-Boot Camp Windows 10 (build 1803), installed using Boot Camp Assistant utility
-Apple original TB2 cable + TB2 -> TB3 adapter
-Sonnet 350 box with Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8Gb

I successfully set up eGPU in MacOS using @mac_editor's PurgeWrangler. Thanks a million again for that script! Nothing more was required. Only the script.

For Windows setup I used USB stick with apple_set_os.efi as described by @goalque. It brought me to a state where Windows boots using EFI boot with iGPU active and running the internal LCD, while eGPU is plugged in and fans are spinning. Windows even recognised the RX 580 in device manager after couple of reboots but with error code 12. External monitor attached to eGPU is black.

For troubleshooting I followed step 5 in your [GUIDE] Macbook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10 with no success. I skipped the step with DDU from @itsage's Boot Camp eGPU setup guide, cuz looks like it's only required for Macs with dGPU, which is not my case. Or should I do this step as well? I also downloaded latest Radeon driver from AMD website, but manual installation fails for some reason.

From what I read throughout the forum I can see that one of the solution can be to do clover magic, but it seems to be very risky and involves deep system hacking. Hence I'm here to seek assistance on this issue. What can solve my problem 12?

I really appreciate your work on the topic guys, and any possible help.

I'm in the same boat with my setup (see signature)...Works great in macOS but is being difficult in Windows 10.  I've tried a fresh install of 1709, 1803, and even 1511.  It actually worked in "1511 TH2 U2" but the system would freeze after about 10 min of playing Netflix in Chrome.  1709 and 1803 give me error 12 even if I disable two other PCI Root Ports (one unused one and one for the camera). I did everything short of the custom DSDT but it's looking like that's the next step.  What sucks is that I had a GTX 1060 that worked beautifully in Bootcamp but was buggy in macOS  🙄

Edit: Reinstalled 1151 last night with latest AMD drivers and it's working with no modifications except using apple_set_os.efi from a USB drive. Seems unstable with two QHD monitors running with the internal display so i'm using it on one QHD monitor and the internal display and it hasn't crashed yet *knocks on wood*
[6-6-2018 update]-1151 was operational but very unstable...would only run for about 5-10 min before locking up or BSOD.  Updated to 1709 and it's back to error 12.  Giving up on Windows for now...setup is rock solid in macOS.

MacBook Pro 13" Late 2013 + Akitio Thunder2 + Sapphire RX570 ITX

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
August 20, 2018 7:18 am  

Hello,
I have the 2018 13' rMBP. Installed bootcamp and with razer core and GTX 1070 everything was plug and play. Updated OSX to Mojave Beta and all the time I get error 12. It shows GTX 1070 in device manager, but it's impossible to get it working. I have downgraded to High Sierra and once again installed Bootcamp but it probably was some firmware change, and it is still the same error. None of the guides and fixes from the forum works for me.

What would you suggest, wait for another beta update? Is there a chance they might fix this?

ReplyQuote
acantril
(@acantril)
Eminent Member
August 20, 2018 8:36 am  

It seems like the code/error 12 issue is the final issue preventing EGPU's becoming mainstream. I've been wanting to go to a single device for over 12 months now, I'm willing to throw any amount of $ at the situation but it seems that code 12 cannot reliably be fixed.

macOS is fine ... if i use a supported EGPU and GPU (vega64), but even with tweaking, i'd say 60% of reboots to windows result in either the EGPU not working, or my collection of TB3 hubs. All the solutions on the forms here (with all due respect) are hacks .. replug things, delay plug things, disable TB3 ports - none of those are long term, or even good solutions for anyone who just wants the laptop + EGPU + docking to work.

I know this is a volunteer community - nobody is getting paid for this, but has anyone actually attempted to 'fix' the code12 issue. It seems to be related to large memory, but even where mac's have this available in windows because of apple work behind the scenes, a working state still seems to be hit and miss.

Has there been any concerted effort to 1) identify whats causing the error 12, the real root cause and 2) see if it can be reliably fixed ?

/Adrian

I should add... I've had 3 EGPU chassis, and 4 GPUs (3 x AMD and a GTX 1080ti) - none of these configurations delivers the dream. Hot plug, support in windows and macOS and reliability when using any additional TB3 expansion hubs.

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
August 20, 2018 11:37 am  

To summarize recently showing Error 12: 

Since the update to Mojave Beta I can't anymore plug and play eGPU to my 2018 Macbook Pro 13. DO NOT UPDATE TO MOJAVE BETA
It worked very good (far from perfect but I wish I had those problems again) with High Sierra, and now it's gone. It is a firmware update, and cannot be reverted. Getting back to original OS X, installing bootcamp from scratch, wiping the hard drive, NVRAM, PRAM, SMC etc. does not work. After update there seem to be some PCI problems, and the Large Memory in device manager is gone, that is probably the case.

The eGUPU (razer core X / GTX 1070) is working, GTX is in device manager with Error 12. No matter which port I use.
Some people returned their Macs or replaced them for new units, and eGPU is working fine with brand new computers, but it is ridiculous solution.

Seems like we are stuck until Apple will fix this with another beta or final build. I really hope it is a known bug, and they will eventually fix this. If not, then god know who will help simple users like me without advanced programming knowledge.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
August 20, 2018 12:13 pm  

Wow, thats super worrying... I really hope Apple doesn't kill eGPU's in Bootcamp because I would need to buy a whole other machine for my gaming needs rather than just rebooting my MacBook.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
August 20, 2018 12:36 pm  

This is making me consider going back to using Hackintoshs.... I want ONE machine for everything, egpu's facilitated that but looks like Mojave may wreck things.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 20, 2018 1:13 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

This is making me consider going back to using Hackintoshs.... I want ONE machine for everything, egpu's facilitated that but looks like Mojave may wreck things.

The real threat to adventurous Mac users is Apple's in-house processor advancement. The Apple T2 chip on the iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro does a lot more than what Apple has disclosed. In 5 to 7 years, all supported Macs will have this Tx chip and Apple can ramp up security. I wager Hackintosh will get more challenging as well.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

74 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 20, 2018 3:45 pm  

@michael_mohr Download and run DDU to remove all existing graphics drivers. Leave the PCI Express Root Port to the iSight camera disabled. Boot your MacBook Pro with the eGPU connected to the TB3 port closest the TAB key and using apple_set_os.efi or rEFInd. Once you can confirm two Microsoft Basic Display Adapters in Device Manager, you can proceed to install Intel drivers for iGPU and Radeon drivers for eGPU.

2018 MacBook Pros come from the factory with Large Memory for Boot Camp. Once you upgrade the system to Mojave Beta, the newer firmware removes Large Memory for Boot Camp. You can either wait for a newer firmware that restores this or exchange the MacBook Pro. From the build guides I've seen, only the 2018 15" MacBook Pro can manage to resolve error 12 with the Mojave firmware.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

74 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 20, 2018 3:53 pm  
Posted by: zmyslony

Is there a chance they might fix this?

Have had an affected 2018 13" MBP owner successfully load the DSDT override for this Mac from the eGPU.io DSDT repository to reinstate the Windows 'large memory' and so fix the error 12:

https://egpu.io/public-repository-egpu-dsdt-overrides/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
acantril
(@acantril)
Eminent Member
August 21, 2018 1:39 am  

Ok, but...is it only me that sees this error 12 as an issue. What i mean is that I don't see a 'solution' anywhere, I see workarounds and hacks which kinda work, most of the time, unless you reboot - which may stop it, or change ports, which will stop it, or upgrade which burns it all down.

I'm not having a dig at anyone, I guess the question I'm asking is ...'what causes error 12' and is there a way to resolve it, without all this hassle. If macOS and linux can handle it by allocating resources well - whats preventing windows doing it. Why isnt large memory support not resolving it without all these workarounds (which reading back seemed to be THE problem).

With large memory working, why cant i plug into any port, with any other TB3 devices and not having to disable anything - and it just work.

I feel (and maybe im wrong) that it's not fully understood whats causing the issue from a technical perspective.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
August 21, 2018 7:43 am  

@acantril Good questions. I've investigated the root cause for error code 12, but I've not tried resizing BARs in practice.

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/list-of-intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3-devices/#post-40785

Only a few people have the technical knowledge to discuss it further.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
acantril
(@acantril)
Eminent Member
August 22, 2018 5:27 am  

I'd actually pay for a full solution. As in $1000's for an actual non workaround solution. Would change my business workflows a lot ... worth every $.

ReplyQuote
AndreiD2017
(@andreid2017)
September 21, 2018 1:24 pm  

Hi @nando4 @goalque & all,

iMac Pro owner here and can't add the second eGPU to it. First one works and just for info, it's a Mantiz Venus (not that it matters). The second one is a Razer Core X. It doesn't matter what eGPU is the second, Windows 10 (Bootcamp) throws the code12 error.

I tried the iMac DSDT override that was already compiled from repository. No large memory support. 

Tried to do my own DSDT override. Besides the fact that I had to disable secure boot from T2 chip, I still didn't get the large page support. Problem is, I think, that I don't have a proper dsdt-modified.dsl file. The general Windows guide (the one with the hex modding) doesn't apply to me since I simply don't have that HEX string in the file. I then tried also this path from techinferno and still nothing. No large memory support. 

The issue is that I wouldn't bother that much with Windows, but the app that runs the gpus is Windows only and the gpus are Titan Vs, which have no official support on MacOS. Don't know how well they scale in CUDA in MacOS with the webdrivers. So I'm stuck to Windows 10.

I also tried to free resources from the isight camera but I couldn't find the PCI resource for it to disable it, so I just disabled the isight camera directly. Don't know if that does the same thing....probably not. Just like user @jipsom I have a dedicated GPU a Vega 64, so we have no way to force the system to work only with the iGPU, like some Macbook owners can. So that is also a dead end.

Any ideas? I can happily post code snippets or any screenshots!

Thanks and keep up the good work.

PS: Does this tool work for iMac Pro?  DIY eGPU Setup 1.35

PSS: Can MacOS updates, like major ones like Mojave for example, have any effect on the Code12 Windows errors for us with Macs? This may seem like a dumb question, as I understand clearly where the code12 problem comes from, but can those updates carry EFI upgrades or stuff like that, that may or may not help crappy Windows 10 deal with the code 12?

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3 Prev