Setup & Software Discussions
2017 13" MacBook pro (non-touchbar) AMD RX Vega 64 - Need Help

2017 13" MacBook pro (non-touchbar) AMD RX Vega 64 - Need Help  

RSS

dafauckbro
(@dafauckbro)

I need help getting the eGPU to work in bootcamp. Once I get to the final stages of downloading and installing the AMD  drivers Windows crashes to a blue screen with some white pixelated dots and restarts. When it restarts Windows get's stuck in a perpetual restart mode  – I get to the windows logo and spinning wheel for about 5-10 seconds then it restarts again. I never can get back to a login screen whether or not the eGPU is plugged in or not.

I've followed the main guide – https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/ and a couple others on here.

Case: Razer Core X
Card: ASUS Radeon RX Vega 64

Mac setup
Version 10.14 (had above problem on 10.13.x)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

And my steps were

1. Create Bootcamp partition and install windows 10 (currently PRO but have also tried Home)
  2. Download DDU and extract files
  3. Went into device manager and and found the PCI express bus that controls the Facetime camera and disabled it (couldnt find any other busses that matched guide)
  4. Restarted holding command + R
  5. Disabled SIP
  6. Booted back into OSX
  7. Downloaded and installed refind
  8. Mounted refind and added the custom folder and drag and dropping efi file
  9. Restarted and booted into safe mode
  10. Started DDU and uninstall AMD drivers and restarted
  11. Plug in eGPU
  12. See refind screen and the EFI file - I select it and then click windows
  13. Windows 10 boots up and I can sign in
  14. I download AMD bootcamp driver - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp (macbook 2015+)
  15. Install above driver – AMD drivers recognize that there is a card plugged in.
  16. Above install is a success but nothing shows on my monitor and "microsoft basic display adapter" still present ( I see Intel iris and microsoft basic display as my two options available)
  17. I reload the AMD bootcamp drivers and click update to 18.5.1 : https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-64
  18. It starts installing drivers and for the first time my attached monitor activates and shows what's on the screen
  19. Before installation is complete screen goes black and turns blue with white pixelated dots – on laptop and screen.
  20. Windows crashes and restarts – I get to the windows logo and spinning dial but then it will crashes and restarts again. This happens over and over in a never ending cycle. Windows is now unusable and I have to remove the partition and start all over again.

What can I do to get the above setup to work?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
dafauckbro
(@dafauckbro)

Any thoughts or help here? I'm at a loss and can't figure it out.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@dafauckbro I read through your installation process and believe the misstep you took was in using older Boot Camp drivers on AMD website. You can download the latest Radeon Adrenalin 18.9.3. Redo the installation process but this time use the new drivers.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
dafauckbro
(@dafauckbro)

@itsage - Thanks for the reply! I'll do what you suggest and take screenshots as I go through for better detail, but the first couple times I actually went straight to the latest AMD Adrenalin drivers. When I did this I was immediately was presented with the blue pixelated screen and windows crashing. It was only when using the old drivers and then attempting to update did the card actually appear to be working and registered before crashing and giving the blue pixelated screen.

I'll redo and take screenshots / video using your suggestion

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I personally have not tested the 2017 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro so there may be some difference vs the 2016 model. Have you tried hot-plug once Windows fully loads? You can also try timed hot-plug by connecting the eGPU to the MacBook Pro as soon as you see the Windows logo and circle dots during boot.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
chisleu
(@chisleu)

I have a 2017 non-touch bar (2 TB port) model as well.

I have the exact issue he is describing. When I get to the point of installing the radeon driver, it locks up and goes blue/white pixels. Rebooting gets stuck in a boot loop with or without the eGPU connected.

I'm using a sonnet rx 570 puck.

I installed refind and enabled the macos spoofing.

When I install the radeon driver from AMD, it crashes to the blue / white pixel screen. Rebooting gives me a boot loop with spining dots until it auto reboots. It never lets me get into the system recovery in order to restore the restore point I saved at the beginning.

Any tips?

ReplyQuote
acidhue
(@acidhue)

Hello,

I found that the Razer Core X with a Vega 64 wasn't working randomly with my MBP.

The steps to fix it were weird.

- Reboot. Clears any system panic.
- Login. Plug in power cable (Not from Razer Core X)
- Plugin Razer Core X, it's now working.

If I don't have an external power cable it fails.

ReplyQuote