Setup & Software Discussions
2017 Macbook w/ Nvidia 1080 FE Internal Display

2017 Macbook w/ Nvidia 1080 FE Internal Display  

RSS

D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)

Hello,

I'm currently thinking if I should purchase an eGPU to plug in my Nvidia 1080 FE to power my MacBook's internal display. Is it possible to do so, and what're the hassles in doing this? 

For example, from what I've read I have to plug in the eGPU after I've booted up on Windows. Do I need to install 3rd party drivers, drivers that aren't provided by the manufacturer? How much of a performance loss do I get? 

Thanks,

D3monw3st

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Assuming you are planning to do this in Windows ONLY as there are no NVIDIA drivers for Mojave.

It is possible. I did it with a GTX1050.

You'll need to instal drivers, that's how windows works, unlike macOS which has most drivers built in anything you add to Windows will need a driver.
IIRC there is a great thread somewhere on performance loss while driving an internal screen (there is also this one which wasn't the one I was thinking of but maybe I'm wrong?).

TLDR: You'll lose about 30% of the performance, roughly.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)

Oh okay. So it’s more than possible to run my 1080 and feed it back into my internal display with a loss of about 30% performance? How hard is it to get it fully set up? Also, are there any guides out there on how to do this? I was looking around but couldn’t really navigate myself well. 

Thank you!

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Assuming you are planning to do this in Windows ONLY as there are no NVIDIA drivers for Mojave.

It is possible. I did it with a GTX1050.

You'll need to instal drivers, that's how windows works, unlike macOS which has most drivers built in anything you add to Windows will need a driver.
IIRC there is a great thread somewhere on performance loss while driving an internal screen (there is also this one which wasn't the one I was thinking of but maybe I'm wrong?).

TLDR: You'll lose about 30% of the performance, roughly.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)

It’s super easy. 
See those links in my signature? Follow any one of them featuring an Nvidia card.

Yep, big thanks for having those guides created. Question though, b/c you're using an external display what do I have to do differently so that it can re-route back to my internal display? 

Thank you!

Also, for an eGPU which is better the Razer Core V1 or the Razer Core X?

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Although I have an external display its not treated as one as being TB3 its not connected to the GPU directly.
Routing back is all done via software so no extra steps needed, although you can set app GPU preference in W10 (google it).
Core V1 vs X, I'd go V1, smaller and the ports are almost useful when they work...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)

Although I have an external display its not treated as one as being TB3 its not connected to the GPU directly.
Routing back is all done via software so no extra steps needed, although you can set app GPU preference in W10 (google it).
Core V1 vs X, I'd go V1, smaller and the ports are almost useful when they work...

Ah okay, are there any differences w/ performance between the Core V1 and the X?

ReplyQuote