Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" MacBook Pro (Non-Touchbar) + RT...

2018 13" MacBook Pro (Non-Touchbar) + RTX 2080 + Razer Core X + Using only the internal display + Windows 10 via Bootcamp  

RSS

PaoJ
(@paoj)
Dec 17, 2018 7:38 pm  

Having a blast so far with my first time using an egpu. Solid framerates on everything I've thrown at it thus far. I love being able to grab the MacBook Pro for work, get home, plug it in and just game.

My only with so far:
1. That hot plugging. It's not a big deal, but it certainly can be annoying.
2. That MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio sure does run quiet. It is amazing.
3. I wish the Razer Core X had a second Thunderbolt port to plug peripherals in similar to the Akitio Node Pro (which was my second choice). Or I wish the Akitio Node Pro had a 650w PSU with the dual 6+2 Pin connectors. I would throw money at that.

Speaking of Thunderbolt 3 ports... on my MacBook Pro I just have the 2 ports, when I have the Razer Core X plugged into one port, will I be able to use the second port for say a gaming mouse or an external hard drive? All attempts so far have led to the computer freezing and I wanted to check if this were the norm or if there's a work around.

4. Since I haven't been able to use the second Thunderbolt port successfully, I've been using a bluetooth mouse... that stutter though. Can't seem to get rid of that stutter.

Thanks!

2018 13" MacBook Pro (without the touch bar)
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio
Razer Core X

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Dec 17, 2018 9:30 pm  

The USB-C port on the RTX series GPUs can be used as an expansion port. You can buy a USB-C hub then daisy-chained to your mouse and other peripherals to it.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

PaoJ liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

PaoJ liked
ReplyQuote
 PaoJ
(@paoj)
Dec 18, 2018 11:46 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

The USB-C port on the RTX series GPUs can be used as an expansion port. You can buy a USB-C hub then daisy-chained to your mouse and other peripherals to it.

Oh that's brilliant!

...and I'm embarrassed to admit that I wish I had thought of that lol thank you for pointing that out!

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Would love to see some gaming benchmarks!

For sure! Just want to spend a couple of weeks kind of learning the nuances of this setup and (learn to run benchmarks) and I'd be happy to share.

First impressions looking mighty good.

Razer Core X

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sace
 Sace
(@sace)
Dec 19, 2018 8:26 pm  
Posted by: PaoJ
Posted by: theitsage

Oh that's brilliant!

...and I'm embarrassed to admit that I wish I had thought of that lol thank you for pointing that out

I have a 2016 nTB MacBook Pro and a Razer Core X. I can use the second port for other stuff as long as they are plugged in before I start using the eGPU. Tried to unplug a USB flash drive during a benchmark and everything just crashed. But as long as I leave them connected it works fine.

MacBook Pro 13” nTB (2016) - Razer Core X - MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB
Mac OS X 10.14.1 + Windows 10 1803 (Bootcamp)

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
jlevin860
(@jlevin860)
Dec 20, 2018 6:09 am  

Having a blast so far with my first time using an egpu. Solid framerates on everything I've thrown at it thus far. I love being able to grab the MacBook Pro for work, get home, plug it in and just game.

My only with so far:

3. I wish the Razer Core X had a second Thunderbolt port to plug peripherals in similar to the Akitio Node Pro (which was my second choice). Or I wish the Akitio Node Pro had a 650w PSU with the dual 6+2 Pin connectors. I would throw money at that.

i have the akitio node pro with the rtx 2080 msi gaming trio. it has the 8 pin connectors(2x 6+2 pins). i don't have any issues with power supply. i got the akitio node pro because it is "smallest" egpu for full size cards.

i have rtx 2080/2018 mbp with i7 and no Dgpu w/touchbar and akitio node pro.

i am having an issue with using the internal monitor on the laptop. i had it working using the qoalque EFI usb solution but lately it is not working. what is your process to get it working on the internal screen? i have no issues using external monitors (but then the macbook sits open with the MS logo on a black screen)

the EFI usb boot from goalque would work i could using the laptop screen and external monitors at the same time.

thanks for the help. when it works its a glorious setup!

2018 MBP- i7, 16GB ram, 500gb hdd- RTX MSI 2080 gaming trio - Akitio node pro

ReplyQuote
 PaoJ
(@paoj)
Dec 20, 2018 6:23 am  
Posted by: jlevin860

My only with so far:

i have the akitio node pro with the rtx 2080 msi gaming trio. it has the 8 pin connectors(2x 6+2 pins). i don't have any issues with power supply. i got the akitio node pro because it is "smallest" egpu for full size cards.

i have rtx 2080/2018 mbp with i7 and no Dgpu w/touchbar and akitio node pro.

i am having an issue with using the internal monitor on the laptop. i had it working using the qoalque EFI usb solution but lately it is not working. what is your process to get it working on the internal screen? i have no issues using external monitors (but then the macbook sits open with the MS logo on a black screen)

the EFI usb boot from goalque would work i could using the laptop screen and external monitors at the same time.

thanks for the help. when it works its a glorious setup!

Nooo! I wish I didn't know that now. I like the grab handle and dimensions of the Akitio Node Pro.

Any issues with power? I though the RTX cards would need the 650w PSU of the Core X vs the 500w of the Node Pro.  

How is the fit? Would love to see a picture. 

I still hot plug (shame on me) when the Windows load screen pops up, I have not used any of the EFI solutions yet. I may give those a try at some point in the future. 

...wondering now if I should sell the Core X and get an Akitio Node Pro.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
jlevin860
(@jlevin860)
Dec 20, 2018 8:08 pm  

the 650 watt power supply is needed if you are running a whole computer from it. if you look up max wattage from MSI for the rtx 2080 its below the max on the node pro. the node pro supplies enough power to charge a 13" MBP but not a 15" MBP.
also, MSI and Akitio's website specs state the gaming trio is too long. it is not.

huh ok hot plug on loading screen and you get to run on the internal monitor on the laptop? i'll try that. you will see in the pics i have MGS5 on the laptop running charged by the EGPU using the EFI solution. so it was working but now it is not.

egpu2
egpu3
EGPU1

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
jlevin860
(@jlevin860)
Dec 20, 2018 8:46 pm  

update: hotplugging worked to get it on both my external and internal monitors at the same time without having to do the efi solution. perfect. 

for me, if i have the egpu plugged in when i boot up then it only runs to external monitors which is fine unless i'm mobile. the node pro seemed the most mobile friendly for full size cards.

i really wish someone would make an egpu enclosure the dimensions of the dan s4 case or the loque ghost case. they are entire computers that are smaller than my egpu enclosure. or basically a full size aorus gaming box.

PaoJ liked
ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member
Dec 20, 2018 9:33 pm  
Posted by: jlevin860

the 650 watt power supply is needed if you are running a whole computer from it. if you look up max wattage from MSI for the rtx 2080 its below the max on the node pro. the node pro supplies enough power to charge a 13" MBP but not a 15" MBP.
also, MSI and Akitio's website specs state the gaming trio is too long. it is not.

Tom’s Hardware reported that 2080 ti FE clocked in much higher power consumption than it was documented.
If their report were to believe (and their track record is pretty good), peak power was nearly 360W at GPU.

Add the 90w of PD (assuming your eGPU can), and the overhead of TB3 and fan, you are looking at 500W south of PSU.
A Gold rated PSU is 87% efficient, so you need 575W.

If you are going to do aggressive over-clocking, you would want 650W, just for eGPU.

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

PaoJ and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ashton
(@ashton)
Apr 5, 2019 5:03 am  

I have the same setup except an RTX 2070, and having a lot of issues getting this working, would you care to share which steps you followed to install this?
Also i'm guessing you actually have the 2017 13" MacBook Pro non-touchbar, because apple didn't release a 2018 model?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote