Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" MBP + Razer Core X + Nvidia GTX 1060 Questions

2018 13" MBP + Razer Core X + Nvidia GTX 1060 Questions  

RSS

NQT
 NQT
(@nqt)

Hi guys, I recently purchased a Core X and 1060 for use with my 2108 13" Touchbar Macbook Pro because there are a couple of threads here that say the enclosure is plug and play in Bootcamp. My experiences with it have been so-so, and I have a couple of clarifying questions. I have not installed any of the scripts or programs recommended in other threads because I'm not entirely comfortable with the risk. That's why plug and play was so important to me.

1. When do I plug the TB3 cable into the laptop? If I plug it in before startup, the external monitor works fine, but the internal display just displays a Windows logo that flickers occasionally. It doesn't burn into the screen like others have reported (at least not yet), but I don't follow this method just to be safe.
If I plug the cable in while Windows loads, the startup tends to hang and I have to restart.
Currently, I plug in just as the login window appears. When I do this, everything works fine, except the internal display goes black. To be clear, it does not turn off, it's just a blank black screen. I'm worried about this, partially because I don't want to burn out any pixels (is that even still a thing?). Is it normal? Can I do something to make the internal display shut off? I've already disabled the iGPU driver in Windows because that's the only way to get everything working.
If I plug in the cable a few seconds after the login Window, I get Error 12.

2. When the eGPU is connected, Windows loses the ability to sleep. I have been unable to find any information on this. The option goes away in the power settings, and all that's left is to hibernate, restart, or shut down. Is there a way to let the computer sleep with the eGPU still running? I can't just unplug it because then I usually can't make it work again without restarting anyway.

3. I'm unclear on whether it safe to update MacOS or not. I'm currently running High Sierra. I don't need the eGPU in MacOS, but I'm still worried that if I update, I'll somehow break Bootcamp.

Other than those problems, I'm very happy with the performance so far! I have this website and the numerous builds and posts by @itsage in particular to thank for that.

2018 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar
Razer Core X
Nvidia GTX 1060

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
NQT
 NQT
(@nqt)

A small update:

I found that the ability for Windows to go to sleep is related to the Intel Iris graphics. When the integrated graphics are disabled in Device Manager, sleep is disabled. When I re-enable them and restart, I can put the computer to sleep again. Why they are linked, I have no idea. This is the first I've heard of it.

Does anyone have information about the other stuff in my first post, or at least a link if it's been covered already?

Razer Core X
Nvidia GTX 1060

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I would recommend using @goalque's eGPU EFI Boot Manager. It instructs Windows to keep the iGPU activated during booting with an eGPU connected. This way your internal display will stay working and no error 12 on GTX 1060 eGPU. Once you're in Windows desktop, you can set display preference to show on external monitor only.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
NQT
 NQT
(@nqt)

The EFI Boot Manager seems to have caused just as many problems as it solved. I can now keep the eGPU plugged at startup, which is nice. But when I try to start the computer, both screens are black and I have to force my laptop to shut down and retry two or three times for everything works. If I try to remove the USB drive with the boot manager while the computer is on, the computer shuts off for no reason.

Sleep problems persist. If I wake Windows from sleep, the computer often restarts. It seems to happen mostly after an extended sleep, i.e., one that lasts a half hour or more.

Razer Core X
Nvidia GTX 1060

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: NQT

The EFI Boot Manager seems to have caused just as many problems as it solved. I can now keep the eGPU plugged at startup, which is nice. But when I try to start the computer, both screens are black and I have to force my laptop to shut down and retry two or three times for everything works. If I try to remove the USB drive with the boot manager while the computer is on, the computer shuts off for no reason.

Sleep problems persist. If I wake Windows from sleep, the computer often restarts. It seems to happen mostly after an extended sleep, i.e., one that lasts a half hour or more.

The EFI app is primarily meant for macOS. For Windows, it is just a good starting point: "Those who have more knowledge of ASL language can also try to resize Thunderbolt bridge memory regions, allowing specific BARs the eGPU requests from the firmware".

Apple firmwares don't support eGPU hot plugging/surprise removal on Windows. You have to live with this fact, wait for Apple engineers to solve this, or study yourself and override the factory DSDT to get better eGPU experience. The 2018 line of Macs have large memory area but it is not a perfect fix.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
NQT
 NQT
(@nqt)

I'm not trying to unplug the eGPU; I know that's not going  to go well. I meant that when I remove the USB drive that has just the boot manager on it so that I can free up a port, things go wrong. I was under the impression that once it had "done its thing," I could take it out until the next startup.

Razer Core X
Nvidia GTX 1060

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I'm not trying to unplug the eGPU; I know that's not going  to go well. I meant that when I remove the USB drive that has just the boot manager on it so that I can free up a port, things go wrong. I was under the impression that once it had "done its thing," I could take it out until the next startup.

The USB device is part of allocated memory, and when you remove/hot-plug anything that changes these allocated ranges within the same bus, it may result in error code 12 again or system crash.

!arbiter command shows conflicting address ranges:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/extensions-for-debugging-plug-and-play-drivers

Of course, Windows kernel debugging is not for everyone...

--

ReplyQuote
NQT
 NQT
(@nqt)

Okay, if I'm not supposed to remove the drive, is there a way I can use the boot manager without needing to use a separate port? If I make a small partition for it, can I boot into that?

Razer Core X
Nvidia GTX 1060

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Okay, if I'm not supposed to remove the drive, is there a way I can use the boot manager without needing to use a separate port? If I make a small partition for it, can I boot into that?

Try using a small MS-DOS (FAT) MBR partition (created in Disk Utility) instead of external USB. I've never tried but I may work.

--

ReplyQuote
NQT
 NQT
(@nqt)

I'll see what I can do.

Razer Core X
Nvidia GTX 1060

ReplyQuote