2018 13" MBP with TB setup Windows 10 BootCamp with Aorus Gaming Box RX580 Error 12  

RSS

Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
September 27, 2018 6:43 am  

Resource:
2018 13" MacBook Pro with touchbar, 16GB Ram, Core i7, macOS Mojave.
Windows 10 Professional Version 1803 (Download from Microsoft Web Pages)

Hey guys, I can confirmed that Apple had fixed the large memory in macOS Mojave public version.
Since I updated to Mojave, I install Windows 10 through BootCamp, Large Memory Area just appeared without any tricks.
         When I connected my RX580 at the moment Windows boot up, RX580 was detected almost immediately, and I got the driver through Windows Update, however, I still got a yellow ban in my device manager and show up error 12 again even though I have large memory area.
         Had tried some method:
          1. Hot Plug eGPU(boot without eGPU connected)  -> failed( Even didn't recognize as a eGPU).
          2. Hot Plug eGPU(boot with eGPU connected -> get yellow ban and hot plug again)-> failed (still get error 12).
          3. disable right thunderbolt(after boot) -> failed (still get error 12).
          4. disable right thunderbolt(before boot) -> failed (still get error 12).
I would be thankful if anyone give me some advice.

btw, can anyone tell me how to attach a picture in the article?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 27, 2018 1:20 pm  

@ruuuuuu The attachment feature requires 5+ posts. You can host the pictures on other image sites and link to them. Regarding error 12 with AMD eGPU, I'd recommend running DDU to remove the Apple Boot Camp graphics drivers. Download the latest drivers from AMD directly. You can follow the step-by-step in my 2018 13" MacBook Pro build guide and see if it helps. I tried it with the RX 580 Gaming Box and it worked.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
September 27, 2018 1:52 pm  

Ahhh good ol error 12.
One thing that I learned on my journey of never fixing it is that when you disable ports its recommended you shut down fully and then restart. So disable right side and iSight camera, shut down, reboot... I never beat error 12 but I was disabling without restarting which I was told doesnt help at all.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
September 27, 2018 5:40 pm  

@ruuuuuu I was in the same boat as you. Running these steps fixed it for me.

1. Run DDU to remove the Graphic Drivers (AMD, Nvidia, Intel, Everything) 

2. Disable right-side Thunderbolt Ports

3. Disable iSight Camera (This was key for me. Error 12 wouldn't go away without disabling the Camera)

4. Reboot – Error 12 was gone. 

Side Note: I'm running 2018 13" MBP with Touch Bar (i7 / 16gb Ram / 512gb SSD) and a Razer Core X with Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
September 29, 2018 1:47 pm  

I'm very thankful for those advice!
*** Actually, I didn't found iSight Camera.  "iBridge FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)" is what I have and I disabled it too.
 I have tried what @itsage and @notorious826 mentioned: run DDU to remove AMD drivers (I didn't remove Intel drivers because I'm not sure will it case black internal display or not).
After DDU, I use the drivers directly from AMD website with successfully detected AMD Hardware connected. Starting driver installation and reboot(I use shut down and plug eGPU when boot up Windows).
Then when I open the AMD Radeon Software, it pop up  a warning window sait that "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD drivers is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."
Did I miss something or have any more advice?

Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
October 9, 2018 2:03 pm  

Hey @itsage, I had tried your  2018 13" MacBook Pro build guide . However, it seems that RX580 still can't have enough memory to run.

• Boot into Recovery mode to disable SIP through Terminal. Open Startup Security Utility to set Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media [in Option Boot]                              -> Checked
  • Download Windows 10 ISO and install through Boot Camp Assistant [in macOS and Windows]  -> Checked
  • Complete Boot Camp driver installation then open Device Manager to disable PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9DB0 (to right Thunderbolt 3 ports) [in Windows]   -> Checked
  • Download and install rEFInd then mount EFI partition to enable spoof_osx_version 10.9 [in macOS]   -> Checked (It's enable in default)
  • Connect eGPU to the left Thunderbolt 3 port closest to display hinge then hit POWER button[Computer off]    -> Checked(Due to Gaming Box will wake up MacBook, I shut down MacBook with Gaming Box pluged with a view to simulate the "hit POWER button with eGPU plug" situation)
  • Select Windows volume then hit ENTER [in rEFInd Boot]  -> Checked (I selected the left one Window Logo)
  • Wait for Windows to complete booting and detect eGPU as well as auto-install of drivers [in Windows] -> Windows DIDN'T auto-install the driver, I installed it from AMD website.

Any more advice would be thankful.  Thanks.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 9, 2018 2:36 pm  

@ruuuuuu I can do a clean Boot Camp setup with the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box later this week. I will let you know how that goes and post a build guide.

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
October 9, 2018 2:44 pm  

@itsage Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
November 1, 2018 11:44 pm  

Hey @itsage,
        It's me again, I'm still stuck in yellow ban with error code 12. Would you mind to build a step-by-step RX580 Gaming Box build guide for me?   
2018 13" Macbook Pro with core i7, 16GB ram running in macOS 10.14 Mojave.

Thanks a lot!

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 2, 2018 2:56 am  

@ruuuuuu Hey man, thank you for being persistent and bringing this thread up again. I tried the 2018 13" MacBook Pro + RX 580 Gaming Box tonight. Following the exact steps in my other AMD eGPU build guides with this 2018 MBP didn't always work. Sometimes the RX 580 Gaming Box would show up in Device Manager but yellow-banged. Other times it would not show up at all.

I did not give up and kept trying different configurations. I think I have it down now. The crucial PCI Express Root Port to disable is #3 - 9DBA. It is connecting to the wireless card. At first I had Port #3 disabled as well as Port #9 - 9DB0 but when I tried only Port #3 disabled, AMD XConnect still worked. Give this whole process a try and report back.

• Make sure rEFInd is working with spoof_osx_version 10.9 enabled
  • Run DDU to remove Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers
  • Disable PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9DBA in Device Manager
  • Connect RX 580 Gaming Box to left TB3 port closest to display hinge
  • Boot into Windows with rEFInd and install latest Radeon drivers
  • Restart and AMD XConnect should come on to confirm successful setup

Once you have the RX 580 Gaming Box going, you can go back into Device Manager to enable PCIe Root Port #3 to have wireless connection working. The only inconvenience is that you have to disable/enable every boot. Here are some screen captures for reference.

I ran eGPU to confirm it's working with both internal display and external monitor mode. For some reasons FIFA19 would only work with an external monitor. Unigine benchmarks ran fine with internal display. 

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
November 3, 2018 12:43 am  

@itsage Thank you for response with a new method to reach the goal.
I've tried what you told:

• Make sure rEFInd is working with spoof_osx_version 10.9 enabled .   -> without "#" mark. I think it's enabled.
  • Run DDU to remove Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers .    ->   I tried both : Uninstall and restart & Uninstall and shutdown
  • Disable PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9DBA in Device Manager .  -> Disable checked
  • Connect RX 580 Gaming Box to left TB3 port closest to display hinge . -> I think you probably means to connect eGPU before Windows boot up. Checked
  • Boot into Windows with rEFInd and install latest Radeon drivers . -> Here is the step I failed.
    The rEFI menu of mine : 

I choose the Windows Logo on the left side, the one on the right side seems to be a fake one.
    When Windows boot up, the screen shows some message:

I start to install latest Radeon drivers with those condition:
         1.  got a Microsoft Basic Video Card in device manager
         2. Had DDU AMD drivers
         3. eGPU connect to left thunderbolt closest to the screen before boot up
         4. rEFI with spoof_osx_version 10.9 enabled
         5. downloaded latest RX580 driver from AMD website
         6. last boot up had disabled PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9DBA
    And this is the situation I encountered:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gmq-5PM5_eNqF3rduwpryZzgD4gk77Om/view?usp=sharing

• Restart and AMD XConnect should come on to confirm successful setup -> Restart without Microsoft Basic Card or RX580. The eGPU just disappeared int the device manager. But DDU has a AMD driver to uninstall.

btw, the rEFI booting video:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KeDJmSNnKfXFV7AF7ooQ37EmpMKJJdYm

Sorry for keep asking stupid question lol. But I really want to get eGPU working.
    Thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 3, 2018 1:53 am  

@ruuuuuu Everything looks good until that BSOD. I'd say to disable both Port #3 and Port #9 next to see if you can get the Radeon driver installation going. Once you have the drivers and eGPU going, you can try only Port #3 disabled at boot. You're getting very close. Keep trying.

Another visual cue to tell whether the RX 580 Gaming Box would work in Windows is the LED strip. When the MacBook Pro is off, upon connecting the eGPU and powering the system on the LEDs would light up. During Windows boot up (logo and spinning circle) the LEDs would go off. Once Windows gets to the login screen and about to load the Desktop the LEDs would come back on. That's a clear sign RX 580 eGPU would work without error 12.

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
November 3, 2018 2:00 am  

@itsage I forgot to mention that I had tried disable Port #3 and Port#9 at the same time. But the Drivers installation still failed.
Would you mind to discuss this maybe on Skype, Messenger or Discord ... etc?

Thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 3, 2018 2:11 am  

I don't provide direct consulting but will try my best over the forum. Run DDU one more time to remove remnants of the failed Radeon driver installation. Disable both #3 and #9 before rebooting. Try with both left sided Thunderbolt 3 ports until you get the eGPU going. I connected the RX 580 Gaming Box to the 2018 13" MacBook Pro just now and confirmed the steps are working just fine. Having only #3 disabled sometimes leads to no eGPU detection. Both #3 and #9 disabled would work for sure.

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
November 3, 2018 2:56 am  

@itsage I've tried what you told to disabled both #3 and #9 at the same times.  This is what I did:

1. Disable #3 & #9
   2. DDU Remove AMD Driver
   3. Shutdown
   4. eGPU connect to macbook pro
   5. boot up with rEFI and choose left side Windows
   6. got Microsoft Basic Graphic Card
   7. install latest Radeon Driver
   8. After install, get yellow ban(Code 12) in device manager
   9. shutdown
   10. boot with eGPU connected
   11. RX580 was not detected by macOS and Windows Both.
Sometimes Gaming Box need to relax itself I think.....

Sorry, but do you have any more suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
November 3, 2018 10:21 am  

@itsage How did you find the performance (in games) between your old 2016 and your new 2018? Much of a boost from the extra cores? Do you have actual real world benchmarks/numbers you could share?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Ruuuuuu
(@ruuuuuu)
November 23, 2018 2:42 pm  

Sorry for keep bringing this thread up again.

@itsage I'm still stuck in error 12. But I got some new progress here:
I've tried @goalque automate-eGPU EFI method. I got RX580 Gaming Box detected(PSU on, GPU fan on, LED on) in automate-eGPU boot menu.
In macOS 10.14:
     All is well. EFI boot is not necessary.

In Windows 10:
     I press q to go to boot menu. Choose Windows. The RX580 Gaming Box LED light disappeared and remain PSU on, GPU fan on, LED off.
     And I got nothing in device manager.

I'm still confused what's wrong with my RX580.
When I finish the Radeon driver installation, the Xconnect didn't pop up, the installation ask me to reboot. Before I reboot, I check the device manager and I see RX580 with yellow ban.
Reboot with automate EFI => RX580 Gaming Box remain PSU on, GPU fan on, LED off.
Reboot with press [option] and choose Windows, plug in eGPU in the second I see Windows Logo => RX580 error 12.

I really need help. Thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote