Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro, Is It Possible to Enable iGPU?

2018 15" MacBook Pro, Is It Possible to Enable iGPU?  

RSS

Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Has any progress been made on this issue?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

It has always been possible to enable the Intel iGPU on 2018 15" MacBook Pro. The problem lies with the attachment of the internal display to the iGPU (circle dots then black screen). The only workaround so far is to use modified Radeon graphics drivers from BootCampdrivers.com to run both dGPU and eGPU. Windows Hybrid Graphics allows manual assignment of eGPU to run specific games/apps.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Isn't hybrid graphics still pretty useless? I tried selecting the eGPU, but Windows always defaults back to the dGPU. I've only gotten hybrid graphics to work with Call of Duty games.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@alec Not at all. I am and will be away from my external monitors for more than 3 months, and have been making good use of this for internal display acceleration with eGPU in Windows (games).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@alec Not at all. I am and will be away from my external monitors for more than 3 months, and have been making good use of this for internal display acceleration with eGPU in Windows (games).

@mac_editor
good, that you found finally a way to enabled the dGPU and thus hybrid mode with AMD eGPU.  Bevor this it was a big showstopper for AMD eGPUs in Bootcamp.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

I just tried it. It still doesn't work with emulators and lesser known games. Windows is a joke with the way it handles this.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Alec

I just tried it. It still doesn't work with emulators and lesser known games. Windows is a joke with the way it handles this.

@alec for your Info:

@mac_editor and I have the exact same macbook pro model (15-inch 2018) and I can assure you: It works. You can accelerate any game/application on your internal display. Windows is not a joke in this matter and handles it very well with MS Hybrid. It's not even difficult. Just follow one of my or @mac_editor's build guides.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Posted by: OliverB

@alec for your Info:

@mac_editor and I have the exact same macbook pro model (15-inch 2018) and I can assure you: It works. You can accelerate any game/application on your internal display. Windows is not a joke in this matter and handles it very well with MS Hybrid. It's not even difficult. Just follow one of my or @mac_editor's build guides.

Do you have Cemu or Space Engine? It does not work on those programs.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@alec for your Info:

Do you have Cemu or Space Engine? It does not work on those programs.

@alec
Could you please provide a screenshot of the MSHybrid configuration of your system?

It should look like this:

MSHybrid

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Mine looks exactly like that but with the GTX 1080.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Mine looks exactly like that but with the GTX 1080.

@alec,
we need urgently a screenshot of your MS Hybrid configuration, only with the particular applications you want to accelerate on internal display. Please provide such screenshot and I am very positive that we can solve this mystery. Please add the complete path to the application/executable you configured with MSHybrid. Thank you very much.

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Additional note: You must configure MS Hybrid to the executable. The very file that runs the application. This may be the tricky part. But if you got it right once, it will work.

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/7hdm7rF

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Great. Thank you. If "Cemu.exe" is the final application executable, everything is all right. What does taskmanager say?

It looks like this:

Taskmgr eGPU

Here it is very clear, that GTX650 is actually used. So everything is fine.

Additional note 2: If "Cemu.exe" on your desktop just calls another executable, the mystery is solved. You must configure the final executable. Taskmgr will give you those answers.

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Great. Thank you. If "Cemu.exe" is the final application executable, everything is all right. What does taskmanager say?

It looks like this:

Taskmgr eGPU

Everything is not all right. Notice how it says AMD GPU in the Cemu window?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

It looks like this:

Taskmgr eGPU

Interesting. So Cemu.exe seems to select its own GPU. @mac_editor now it's your turn!

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

It looks like this:

Taskmgr eGPU

Interesting. So Cemu.exe seems to select its own GPU. @mac_editor now it's your turn!

Are you sure it's selecting its own GPU? Cemu properly uses Nvidia GPUs on Optimus enabled laptops.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Are you sure it's selecting its own GPU? Cemu properly uses Nvidia GPUs on Optimus enabled laptops.

(Un)Fortunately MSHybrid is different to nVidia Optimus. So it may be, that you were right from the beginning and you found an application that won't run with MSHybrid correctly. MSHybrid is quite new and this may be possible. So it looks you found a case where it won't work.

On the other hand: Vega 20 dGPU vs GTX 1080 eGPU internal display??
If you asked me before I would have said, there is not much difference. If you want to shine the GTX1080, you probably should use an external display.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@alec What GPU is shown as doing the processing in Task Manager when using Cemu for you? Have never used the software myself but maybe it is better to go by monitored activity vs. what the Cemu window shows (since you are using the internal display, the dGPU framebuffer is used to display contents, work having been done on eGPU). Ideally one would see both GPUs active, the eGPU more so for stressful games. I noticed from a quick search that some Optimus users needed to add Cemu to the NVIDIA Control Panel before getting it to work. Naturally, with an internal display-only setup, this panel isn't available. I will try if I have time and provide an update on the same. Seems to be an interesting problem.

Most apps typically default to select the GPU driven by the display they were launched on.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

@alec What GPU is shown as doing the processing in Task Manager when using Cemu for you? Have never used the software myself but maybe it is better to go by monitored activity vs. what the Cemu window shows (since you are using the internal display, the dGPU framebuffer is used to display contents, work having been done on eGPU). Ideally one would see both GPUs active, the eGPU more so for stressful games. I noticed from a quick search that some Optimus users needed to add Cemu to the NVIDIA Control Panel before getting it to work. Naturally, with an internal display-only setup, this panel isn't available. I will try if I have time and provide an update on the same. Seems to be an interesting problem.

Most apps typically default to select the GPU driven by the display they were launched on.

Task manager shows the dGPU.

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

(Un)Fortunately MSHybrid is different to nVidia Optimus. So it may be, that you were right from the beginning and you found an application that won't run with MSHybrid correctly. MSHybrid is quite new and this may be possible. So it looks you found a case where it won't work.

On the other hand: Vega 20 dGPU vs GTX 1080 eGPU internal display??
If you asked me before I would have said, there is not much difference. If you want to shine the GTX1080, you probably should use an external display.

There's still a difference. You can get an almost 200% performance increase.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@alec
This depends very much of the resolution. In my setup (dGPU Radeon Pro 560X, eGPU GTX 1080 Ti), the GTX1080Ti improvement is clearly under the expected factor on internal display with full resolution (2880 x 1800). And the difference between the two GPUs is much bigger. The eGPU loses a lot of performance when rendering the internal display, especially in high resolutions.

Please try to make some comparing benchmarks for your system (dGPU Vega 20, eGPU GTX 1080), both on internal display 2880x1800p.
You will see there is not the difference you would expect.

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

@alec
This depends very much of the resolution. In my setup (dGPU Radeon Pro 560X, eGPU GTX 1080 Ti), the GTX1080Ti improvement is clearly under the expected factor on internal display with full resolution (2880 x 1800). And the difference between the two GPUs is much bigger. The eGPU loses a lot of performance when rendering the internal display, especially in high resolutions.

Please try to make some comparing benchmarks for your system (dGPU Vega 20, eGPU GTX 1080), both on internal display 2880x1800p.
You will see there is not the difference you would expect.

Black Ops 4 gives me about 35 frames on the dGPU and 60 frames on the eGPU.

ReplyQuote