2018 15"MacbookPro with AORUS RX580 GAMING BOX in Bootcamp  

RSS

(@david13587)
September 6, 2018 7:26 am  

In OSX
it's easy to use eGPU with AMD graphic card in OSX , just HOT plug n play

In Bootcamp
[before Plug in the eGPU] 1. Use Bootcamp assistant, follow the tips ,install Win10 1803 and all the bootcamp Driver.
2.Download the latest AMD Driver from "bootcampdrivers.com"
3.USE tool DDU to Uninstalled the AMD driver.(it's inside the file u download from bootcampdrivers)
4.Install the AMD driver from "bootcampdrivers"
5.Power off
[Plug in the eGPU] 1.Make sure the power is off when u want to use the eGPU in bootcamp.
2.Plug in the eGPU
3.POWER ON  .  then the eGPU should be good in the external display.

[Need HELP] In Bootcamp, the eGPU will only work on the external display
I've checked the device manager, both dGPU(RP560X) and eGPU(RX580)  are detected and functional in windows
but Can't detect the INTERNAL DISPLAY.so the internal display is black.
but Sometimes BOOT in to the Bootcamp, the internal display is work just fine with the external display.

2018 Macbook pro 15" i7 8850H 16G ram 512G SSD RP560X
GIGABYTE AORUS RX580 GAMING BOX

ReplyQuote
Spankey
(@spankey)
September 6, 2018 3:20 pm  

Same for 2017 15" Macbook Pro. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
September 6, 2018 4:25 pm  

@David13587 The drivers cannot cohabitate at this time, and ruins the RP560X profile.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 6, 2018 4:59 pm  

I agree with @mac_editor on AMD graphics driver conflicts. When I used rEFInd to activate the iGPU the Radeon Pro dGPU would get yellow-banged. The internal display stayed on but it's running at a slower refresh rate. When there's no installed AMD drivers, the internal display stays on with eGPU attached at boot.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

74 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 6, 2018 10:16 pm  

Question about the internal display in this scenario: Is the display still on and just black or is it completely off? I don't leave my laptop open when I'm hooked up to my eGPU, so I would actually prefer for it to be off entirely. I've also read about some issues with the internal display in Boot Camp when disconnected from the eGPU, but I don't envision myself using Boot Camp while off of the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
(@david13587)
September 7, 2018 12:55 am  
Posted by: TheJizel

Question about the internal display in this scenario: Is the display still on and just black or is it completely off? I don't leave my laptop open when I'm hooked up to my eGPU, so I would actually prefer for it to be off entirely. I've also read about some issues with the internal display in Boot Camp when disconnected from the eGPU, but I don't envision myself using Boot Camp while off of the eGPU.

It's completely Off.

Posted by: mac_editor

@David13587 The drivers cannot cohabitate at this time, and ruins the RP560X profile.

So u mean that if I want to use both internal display and external display.
The internal display had to Drive by iGPU,can't by the dGPU.
but the external display can drive by eGPU?
thant u.

2018 Macbook pro 15" i7 8850H 16G ram 512G SSD RP560X
GIGABYTE AORUS RX580 GAMING BOX

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 8, 2018 7:07 pm  
Posted by: david13587

In OSX
it's easy to use eGPU with AMD graphic card in OSX , just HOT plug n play

In Bootcamp
[before Plug in the eGPU] 1. Use Bootcamp assistant, follow the tips ,install Win10 1803 and all the bootcamp Driver.
2.Download the latest AMD Driver from "bootcampdrivers.com"
3.USE tool DDU to Uninstalled the AMD driver.(it's inside the file u download from bootcampdrivers)
4.Install the AMD driver from "bootcampdrivers"
5.Power off
[Plug in the eGPU] 1.Make sure the power is off when u want to use the eGPU in bootcamp.
2.Plug in the eGPU
3.POWER ON  .  then the eGPU should be good in the external display.

[Need HELP] In Bootcamp, the eGPU will only work on the external display
I've checked the device manager, both dGPU(RP560X) and eGPU(RX580)  are detected and functional in windows
but Can't detect the INTERNAL DISPLAY.so the internal display is black.
but Sometimes BOOT in to the Bootcamp, the internal display is work just fine with the external display.

These steps worked perfectly for me with a Vega 64. Right now, the internal display is off. I don't think I'll even bother trying to get it to work as I mentioned this is not necessary for me (I usually keep the lid closed). I'll go ahead and put together a build guide soon.

Thank you so much.

ReplyQuote
Joseph1970
(@joseph1970)
September 15, 2018 3:48 pm  

Hi folks,

I've just found a way to hack Gigabyte RX580 Gaming Box with internal disply applicable. Here is the process to hack.

1. Make sure eGPU's power plug is onto the outlet and all calbes are removed from eGPU except for power calbe.
  2. Plug TP3 cable into both eGPU & MacBook Pro.
  3. Hold option key.
  4. Wait for bootable disks to be shown on the screen of MacBook Pro.
  5. Un-plug power cable of eGPU
  6. Plug power cable of eGPU
  7. Un-plug power cable of RX eGPU again.
  8. Disconnect TP3 cable from MacBook Pro.
  9. Hit enter key while Bootcamp volume is selected with arrow.
  10. Plug TP3 cable into MacBook Pro again.
  11. Wait for Windows 10 to boot up than you will not miss it.

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 16, 2018 8:51 am  
Posted by: Joseph1970

Hi folks,

I've just found a way to hack Gigabyte RX580 Gaming Box with internal disply applicable. Here is the process to hack.

1. Make sure eGPU's power plug is onto the outlet and all calbes are removed from eGPU except for power calbe.
  2. Plug TP3 cable into both eGPU & MacBook Pro.
  3. Hold option key.
  4. Wait for bootable disks to be shown on the screen of MacBook Pro.
  5. Un-plug power cable of eGPU
  6. Plug power cable of eGPU
  7. Un-plug power cable of RX eGPU again.
  8. Disconnect TP3 cable from MacBook Pro.
  9. Hit enter key while Bootcamp volume is selected with arrow.
  10. Plug TP3 cable into MacBook Pro again.
  11. Wait for Windows 10 to boot up than you will not miss it.

So I've also figured out a way to get my eGPU to work and have the internal display functioning simultaneously. This method also allows the internal display to work when the eGPU is not connected. I wasn't actually trying to make this happen, but it seems to be a side effect of what I did. I disabled the dGPU (560X) in Device Manager. After this, the internal display worked once I booted back into Windows. However, it's using the basic display driver (which I assume uses integrated graphics?). Therefore, no dGPU or eGPU acceleration for the internal display. As I've stated before, I really don't care about the internal display while I'm in Windows. However, it's nice to know it will work if I need it for whatever reason.

@Joseph1970 Can you check to see if your internal display is actually using the eGPU in your scenario? It's possible you are getting the integrated graphics driver like I am.

ReplyQuote
Joseph1970
(@joseph1970)
September 18, 2018 1:14 am  

@TheJizel When I played games via internal display with my eGPU booted up, it did make some difference comparing to iGPU. The graphics quality can be upgraded from medium to Ultra HD. By the way, I am applying drivers from Apple at this moment. I've tried drivers from "bootcampdrivers.com" but failed to boot up my eGPU even the external display was applied simply.

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 18, 2018 2:59 am  

@TheJizel When I played games via internal display with my eGPU booted up, it did make some difference comparing to iGPU. The graphics quality can be upgraded from medium to Ultra HD. By the way, I am applying drivers from Apple at this moment. I've tried drivers from "bootcampdrivers.com" but failed to boot up my eGPU even the external display was applied simply.

@Joseph1970 I think there's a much easier way to confirm this. If you go into "Display settings" by right-clicking anywhere on your desktop then selecting your internal display and clicking "Advanced display settings" at the bottom, you should be able to see which GPU it's running off of. For example, my internal display says "Connected to Microsoft Basic Display Driver" whereas both of my external displays say "Connected to Radeon RX Vega".

ReplyQuote
Joseph1970
(@joseph1970)
September 18, 2018 2:25 pm  
Posted by: TheJizel

@Joseph1970 I think there's a much easier way to confirm this. If you go into "Display settings" by right-clicking anywhere on your desktop then selecting your internal display and clicking "Advanced display settings" at the bottom, you should be able to see which GPU it's running off of. For example, my internal display says "Connected to Microsoft Basic Display Driver" whereas both of my external displays say "Connected to Radeon RX Vega".

@TheJizel my internal display says "Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655" and external display says "Radeon RX 580 Series". F.Y.I.

ReplyQuote