2018 15"MacbookPro with AORUS RX580 GAMING BOX in Bootcamp  

RSS

(@david13587)
September 6, 2018 7:26 am  

In OSX
it's easy to use eGPU with AMD graphic card in OSX , just HOT plug n play

In Bootcamp
[before Plug in the eGPU] 1. Use Bootcamp assistant, follow the tips ,install Win10 1803 and all the bootcamp Driver.
2.Download the latest AMD Driver from "bootcampdrivers.com"
3.USE tool DDU to Uninstalled the AMD driver.(it's inside the file u download from bootcampdrivers)
4.Install the AMD driver from "bootcampdrivers"
5.Power off
[Plug in the eGPU] 1.Make sure the power is off when u want to use the eGPU in bootcamp.
2.Plug in the eGPU
3.POWER ON  .  then the eGPU should be good in the external display.

[Need HELP] In Bootcamp, the eGPU will only work on the external display
I've checked the device manager, both dGPU(RP560X) and eGPU(RX580)  are detected and functional in windows
but Can't detect the INTERNAL DISPLAY.so the internal display is black.
but Sometimes BOOT in to the Bootcamp, the internal display is work just fine with the external display.

2018 Macbook pro 15" i7 8850H 16G ram 512G SSD RP560X
GIGABYTE AORUS RX580 GAMING BOX

ReplyQuote
Spankey
(@spankey)
September 6, 2018 3:20 pm  

Same for 2017 15" Macbook Pro. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
September 6, 2018 4:25 pm  

@David13587 The drivers cannot cohabitate at this time, and ruins the RP560X profile.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 6, 2018 4:59 pm  

I agree with @mac_editor on AMD graphics driver conflicts. When I used rEFInd to activate the iGPU the Radeon Pro dGPU would get yellow-banged. The internal display stayed on but it's running at a slower refresh rate. When there's no installed AMD drivers, the internal display stays on with eGPU attached at boot.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 6, 2018 10:16 pm  

Question about the internal display in this scenario: Is the display still on and just black or is it completely off? I don't leave my laptop open when I'm hooked up to my eGPU, so I would actually prefer for it to be off entirely. I've also read about some issues with the internal display in Boot Camp when disconnected from the eGPU, but I don't envision myself using Boot Camp while off of the eGPU.

2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & W10 1803

ReplyQuote
(@david13587)
September 7, 2018 12:55 am  
Posted by: TheJizel

Question about the internal display in this scenario: Is the display still on and just black or is it completely off? I don't leave my laptop open when I'm hooked up to my eGPU, so I would actually prefer for it to be off entirely. I've also read about some issues with the internal display in Boot Camp when disconnected from the eGPU, but I don't envision myself using Boot Camp while off of the eGPU.

It's completely Off.

Posted by: mac_editor

@David13587 The drivers cannot cohabitate at this time, and ruins the RP560X profile.

So u mean that if I want to use both internal display and external display.
The internal display had to Drive by iGPU,can't by the dGPU.
but the external display can drive by eGPU?
thant u.

2018 Macbook pro 15" i7 8850H 16G ram 512G SSD RP560X
GIGABYTE AORUS RX580 GAMING BOX

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 8, 2018 7:07 pm  
Posted by: david13587

In OSX

In Bootcamp
[before Plug in the eGPU] 1. Use Bootcamp assistant, follow the tips ,install Win10 1803 and all the bootcamp Driver.
2.Download the latest AMD Driver from "bootcampdrivers.com"
3.USE tool DDU to Uninstalled the AMD driver.(it's inside the file u download from bootcampdrivers)
4.Install the AMD driver from "bootcampdrivers"
5.Power off
[Plug in the eGPU] 1.Make sure the power is off when u want to use the eGPU in bootcamp.
2.Plug in the eGPU
3.POWER ON  .  then the eGPU should be good in the external display.

[Need HELP] In Bootcamp, the eGPU will only work on the external display
I've checked the device manager, both dGPU(RP560X) and eGPU(RX580)  are detected and functional in windows
but Can't detect the INTERNAL DISPLAY.so the internal display is black.
but Sometimes BOOT in to the Bootcamp, the internal display is work just fine with the external display.

These steps worked perfectly for me with a Vega 64. Right now, the internal display is off. I don't think I'll even bother trying to get it to work as I mentioned this is not necessary for me (I usually keep the lid closed). I'll go ahead and put together a build guide soon.

Thank you so much.

2018 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 & W10 1803

ReplyQuote
Joseph1970
(@joseph1970)
September 15, 2018 3:48 pm  

Hi folks,

I've just found a way to hack Gigabyte RX580 Gaming Box with internal disply applicable. Here is the process to hack.

1. Make sure eGPU's power plug is onto the outlet and all calbes are removed from eGPU except for power calbe.
  2. Plug TP3 cable into both eGPU & MacBook Pro.
  3. Hold option key.
  4. Wait for bootable disks to be shown on the screen of MacBook Pro.
  5. Un-plug power cable of eGPU
  6. Plug power cable of eGPU
  7. Un-plug power cable of RX eGPU again.
  8. Disconnect TP3 cable from MacBook Pro.
  9. Hit enter key while Bootcamp volume is selected with arrow.
  10. Plug TP3 cable into MacBook Pro again.
  11. Wait for Windows 10 to boot up than you will not miss it.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 16, 2018 8:51 am  
Posted by: Joseph1970

Hi folks,

I've just found a way to hack Gigabyte RX580 Gaming Box with internal disply applicable. Here is the process to hack.

1. Make sure eGPU's power plug is onto the outlet and all calbes are removed from eGPU except for power calbe.
  2. Plug TP3 cable into both eGPU & MacBook Pro.
  3. Hold option key.
  4. Wait for bootable disks to be shown on the screen of MacBook Pro.
  5. Un-plug power cable of eGPU
  6. Plug power cable of eGPU
  7. Un-plug power cable of RX eGPU again.
  8. Disconnect TP3 cable from MacBook Pro.
  9. Hit enter key while Bootcamp volume is selected with arrow.
  10. Plug TP3 cable into MacBook Pro again.
  11. Wait for Windows 10 to boot up than you will not miss it.

So I've also figured out a way to get my eGPU to work and have the internal display functioning simultaneously. This method also allows the internal display to work when the eGPU is not connected. I wasn't actually trying to make this happen, but it seems to be a side effect of what I did. I disabled the dGPU (560X) in Device Manager. After this, the internal display worked once I booted back into Windows. However, it's using the basic display driver (which I assume uses integrated graphics?). Therefore, no dGPU or eGPU acceleration for the internal display. As I've stated before, I really don't care about the internal display while I'm in Windows. However, it's nice to know it will work if I need it for whatever reason.

@Joseph1970 Can you check to see if your internal display is actually using the eGPU in your scenario? It's possible you are getting the integrated graphics driver like I am.

ReplyQuote
Joseph1970
(@joseph1970)
September 18, 2018 1:14 am  

@TheJizel When I played games via internal display with my eGPU booted up, it did make some difference comparing to iGPU. The graphics quality can be upgraded from medium to Ultra HD. By the way, I am applying drivers from Apple at this moment. I've tried drivers from "bootcampdrivers.com" but failed to boot up my eGPU even the external display was applied simply.

ReplyQuote
TheJizel
(@thejizel)
Eminent Member
September 18, 2018 2:59 am  

@TheJizel When I played games via internal display with my eGPU booted up, it did make some difference comparing to iGPU. The graphics quality can be upgraded from medium to Ultra HD. By the way, I am applying drivers from Apple at this moment. I've tried drivers from "bootcampdrivers.com" but failed to boot up my eGPU even the external display was applied simply.

@Joseph1970 I think there's a much easier way to confirm this. If you go into "Display settings" by right-clicking anywhere on your desktop then selecting your internal display and clicking "Advanced display settings" at the bottom, you should be able to see which GPU it's running off of. For example, my internal display says "Connected to Microsoft Basic Display Driver" whereas both of my external displays say "Connected to Radeon RX Vega".

ReplyQuote
Joseph1970
(@joseph1970)
September 18, 2018 2:25 pm  
Posted by: TheJizel

@Joseph1970 I think there's a much easier way to confirm this. If you go into "Display settings" by right-clicking anywhere on your desktop then selecting your internal display and clicking "Advanced display settings" at the bottom, you should be able to see which GPU it's running off of. For example, my internal display says "Connected to Microsoft Basic Display Driver" whereas both of my external displays say "Connected to Radeon RX Vega".

@TheJizel my internal display says "Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655" and external display says "Radeon RX 580 Series". F.Y.I.

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 7, 2018 1:24 pm  
Posted by: david13587

In OSX

Hi david13587,
Do you ever put your MacBook Pro to sleep while booted in macOS and connected to the Gaming Box? If you do, is your Gaming Box completely silent, or is there one small fan that's always on? The PSU firmware F1.1 is supposed to make the PSU fan shut off during host sleep, but it doesn't seem to work on my laptop (MacBook Pro 2018, 13"). The Gaming Box is completely silent when connected to a sleeping PC though.

System: MacBook Pro 13" 2018, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB
eGPU: Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
November 14, 2018 4:03 pm  

So in short:

- 2018 Macbook Pro (Mine: 13" TouchBar i5, 16 gb / 1tb)
- Mojave (Latest version) + Bootcamp Win10
- AMD (Mine: Vega 64)
- Compatible EGPU (Mine: Core X)

... will work as plug and play with:
- eGPU EFI (Or do I even need that anymore?)
- External monitor (TB3)
- Bootcampdrivers.com -drivers

If
you want to use the MBP monitor it will not work in Win10 unless you start playing with ports etc. ?
Otherwise it is as simple as it apparently was for david13587

I've been reading this forum for quite some time and it is getting already a bit confusing. Information overload.

The MBP should arrive next week and all the other gadgets are waiting to be plugged in.

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
November 20, 2018 9:06 pm  
Posted by: spiderweb

So in short:

- 2018 Macbook Pro (Mine: 13" TouchBar i5, 16 gb / 1tb)
- Mojave (Latest version) + Bootcamp Win10
- AMD (Mine: Vega 64)
- Compatible EGPU (Mine: Core X)

... will work as plug and play with:
- eGPU EFI (Or do I even need that anymore?)
- External monitor (TB3)
- Bootcampdrivers.com -drivers

If
you want to use the MBP monitor it will not work in Win10 unless you start playing with ports etc. ?
Otherwise it is as simple as it apparently was for david13587

I've been reading this forum for quite some time and it is getting already a bit confusing. Information overload.

The MBP should arrive next week and all the other gadgets are waiting to be plugged in.

Can anybody verify that this works? That would be a huge game changer. Spoof OSX and Error 12 are the bane of my existence. 

Also, I'd like to know if this is only plug and play with Vega 64 (or do other AMD Cards work as well)?

Excited to see the news.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 20, 2018 9:25 pm  

The title of this topic is 2018 15" MacBook Pro and yet @joseph1970 and @spiderweb reported their success using the 13" model. It's a completely different scenario with an iGPU-only Mac.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
November 20, 2018 10:29 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

The title of this topic is 2018 15" MacBook Pro and yet @joseph1970 and @spiderweb reported their success using the 13" model. It's a completely different scenario with an iGPU-only Mac.

@itsage Yep, you're right. I was just curious because I have a 13" MBP with Touchbar — and it would be awesome to run the AMD eGPU without disabling any TB3 Ports.

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
November 20, 2018 10:45 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

I have not reported any success so far.

My post was meant to be a question. Sorry if it came out as a success, but English is not my mother tongue.

And my question is still out there:

IF you have a 2018 MBP (without dGPU, i.e. 13”?) AND don’t need the internal display in Bootcamp - is it plug and play for both OSX and Win with AMD cards with the latest Mojave release?

I’ve been searching this particular info throughout the whole interbloodywebster the past two weeks and all I’ve found was a Reddit post from yesterday and this topic where people are not playing with any EFI boot-stuff or any security / PCIe disable-stuff. Just plug and play. And that is what I guess the majority is waiting for. 

The closest possible builds are outdated or with totally different hardware and it seems that my only option is to deduct information to find the variables that are my of my concern. 8th gen processors? Mojave BootCamp? Win10 Pro?

In addition I understood that there was already some Bootcamp TB3 driver updates from Apple just 1-2 days ago - or not?

Thus, a suggestion:

A separate pinned topic that follows how things are evolving currently? News from
updates/drivers? OS versions?

If you buy all new gear today you are not running OSX 10.13. After you read a 20 page build guide under search terms ”Processor model: 8th Gen 4 core (U)” and wondering was the mentioned MBP 2016 in that particular guide just a typo or not? Should I fiddle with PCIe/T2/Filevault/EFI/TB3/External/Internal/Infernal/DataPenetration... No wait!
Somebody said over here and there that it’s not needed? WTF?!

So far it seems that I need to be the pioneer. Sick of reading 200+ pages of info which is inapplicable 😶

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
November 20, 2018 11:19 pm  

@spiderweb @itsage There's a fellow on MacRumours that managed to get his new Mac Mini running Plug/Play with Windows 1809 and the latest AMD drivers from BootcampDrivers.com — so anything is possible.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 21, 2018 12:30 am  

@spiderweb The 13" are generally easier to set up than the 15" models (basically not having dGPU is beneficial). In my estimation things should be plug and play for your proposed configuration above in both operating systems. In Windows, if you don't need the internal display, then booting with the eGPU plugged in (monitor necessary) would be most optimal (will avoid need for EFI solution(s) since you don't care about internal display). I imagine your setup process in Windows would essentially be:

• Boot into it without any peripherals connected.
  • Plug in eGPU.
  • Install AMD drivers. Best to keep a downloaded copy on hand, disconnecting from the internet and doing this IMO. Windows can do it's own thing otherwise.
  • Reboot with eGPU plugged in (and monitor connected to it) - should work with internal monitor gone.

If you encounter Error 12 regardless, then the EFI stick and other stuff comes into play.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
November 21, 2018 7:17 am  

Posted by: mac_editor

The 13" are generally easier to set up than the 15" models (basically not having dGPU is beneficial). In my estimation things should be plug and play for your proposed configuration above in both operating systems. In Windows, if you don't need the internal display, then booting with the eGPU plugged in (monitor necessary) would be most optimal (will avoid need for EFI solution(s) since you don't care about internal display). I imagine your setup process in Windows would essentially be:

• Boot into it without any peripherals connected.
  • Plug in eGPU.
  • Install AMD drivers. Best to keep a downloaded copy on hand, disconnecting from the internet and doing this IMO. Windows can do it's own thing otherwise.
  • Reboot with eGPU plugged in (and monitor connected to it) - should work with internal monitor gone.

If you encounter Error 12 regardless, then the EFI stick and other stuff comes into play.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am aware of the iGPU/dGPU issue.

So after all nobody really knows what will work with 100% certainty and what is the root cause with Error 12.
Is there some weird minor hardware differences or is it simply because nobody has really updated to Mojave with the mid-2018 MBP's after DataPenetrating™ i.e. "Don't fix / touch what's not broken".

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
November 21, 2018 7:21 am  
Posted by: Notorious826

There's a fellow on MacRumours that managed to get his new Mac Mini running Plug/Play with Windows 1809 and the latest AMD drivers from BootcampDrivers.com — so anything is possible.

Ok, thank you - I'll have to check that also meanwhile waiting for my laptop to arrive. (My BTO MBP was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but just got informed that it will be on Monday the earliest.)

ReplyQuote