Setup & Software Discussions
2018 MacBook Pro (13in) Boot Camp Windows on External SSD?

2018 MacBook Pro (13in) Boot Camp Windows on External SSD?  

RSS

karm
 karm
(@karm)

I've seen older guides targeting pre-2016 MBPs for doing this process, but I'm getting blocked pretty early in. Most mention using Boot Camp Assistant and targeting another drive, but I don't get that option (even though the "bootcamp drivers" disk and the intended drive are visible on OSX desktop). I'm not sure if the formatting is incorrect for what it would want (currently, they're exFAT, but they're blank so another format is far from a deal breaker). Does anyone have a working guide that works with 2018 13in MacBook Pro (and does it cause any issues with eGPU as that is pretty important to me)?

2018 13 in. MacBook Pro (16GB RAM/2.7Ghz i7) / ASUS XG Station Pro / Gigabyte GTX 1080 FTW

ReplyQuote
Horatio
(@horatio)

I had real trouble getting my 2018 15" to work properly. Here is how I managed it after a LOT of trial and error - although I have repeated it several times since following this method and it is a piece of cake.

Goal: External USB-C SSD that has both Windows 10 and High Sierra installed allowing me to boot into either without touching the internal drive.

Method:

1) Download a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft
2) Use Bootcamp assistant to install Windows 10 to the internal drive as you would normally
3) Create a set of bootcamp drivers and save them along with the Windows 10 install media to an external USB drive that is formatted ExFat so that it can be read from within Windows
4) Boot into the Windows 10 bootcamp partition on your internal drive
5) Download a copy of Rufus from https://rufus.akeo.ie/
6) Plug in your external USB drive, Launch Rufus, tick the box to display USB hard drives
7) Click show advanced drive properties AND show advanced format options
8) "Device" - Select your USB drive, Boot Selection - Select the windows install media from the desktop, Image Option - change this to Windows To GO (this is the most important step!!!), Partition - GPT, Target System - UEFI, Volume Label - whatever you want your windows partition to be called, File System - NTFS, Cluster Size - 4096 (this needs to match the cluster size of the external drive you have)
9) Click Start and wait while your external drive is formatted, made bootable and has Windows 10 installation media copied to it
10) Shut down your machine, hold the left alt key and reboot, on the boot drive selection screen select the new external drive that shows up
11) Wait while Windows 10 installs and configures itself on the external drive
12) Once Windows 10 installation is complete go to your external USB drive and install the Bootcamp drivers
13) You now have a fully working copy of Windows that sits on an external drive!
14) You can now reboot into OSX and delete the bootcamp partition from your internal drive.

If you want to dual boot from the external drive do the following:

15) Resize the external drive Windows 10 partition from within windows - I made approx 250GB of space to allow for a fully usable OSX install
16) Reboot in into Apple's Internet Recovery
17) Install OSX selecting the free partition on your external drive
18) Reboot, hold down the alt key and wait for the bootable drives to show
19) You should now see 2 x OSX partitions (Internal & External) and a Windows 10 partition (External) all of which are bootable. 
20) Go have a beer - you deserve it!

For installing the eGPU follow the normal instructions found on this site. In my case I used both the left side Thunderbolt ports. One has the eGPU and one has the external SSD drive. When first installing I did not plug in the eGPU until windows was booting, I then plugged it in, it showed in device manager and I installed the relevant display drivers.

Hope this helps!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the tip! I have a MBP 13" 2018. I followed your instructions and created an external Windows boot drive with Rufus (only thing I did different was use VMware Fusion instead of an internal Boot Camp. When I tried to boot from the external drive (by holding option on start up and selecting EFI Boot), it would just start up into macOS on the internal drive. Is there something I need to do to boot up from my external drive? Thanks in advance.

System: MacBook Pro 13" 2018, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB
eGPU: Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member

Never mind. I realized I needed to disable security with Startup Security Utility.

System: MacBook Pro 13" 2018, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB
eGPU: Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
theweinerback
(@theweinerback)

Hey Horatio,

Thanks for the guide. I was able to get Windows installed and at least running on the SSD with my 2018 Mac Mini using your method. However, I have some other issues and I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction:

1) My thunderbolt monitor won’t work with it. If I try to boot, it gets to the Windows splash and then black screens. I have to use an HDMI monitor to see anything.

2) When I try to install the Boot Camp drivers via USB flash drive, it freezes at “enumerating pre-install packages.” I never end up getting anything installed, WiFi doesn’t work, no Bluetooth devices work etc.

3) When I attempt to restart the machine at any point, it blue screens with the Drivers Unloaded Without Cancelling Pending Operations error. Rinse and repeat.

Anyone figure out how to make this work on a 2018 Mac mini yet?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

Hi @theweinerback

My experience with a mbp 13 2018
I managed to get it working but by using wintousb, Also I copied the bootcamp drivers on the disk before the installation. I did hang no me once towards the end of the installation of the drivers but after shutting down and restarting it just went through. 

Now I have a fully working windows on an external drive but I have not managed yet to make the gaming box card get recognized. 

As I don't have much time to spend on this I am waiting until there is an easy solution. One way is to disable / enable the tb3 ports and second Goalque Efi app seems to fit the bill but this has also to be run through an external usb drive. I am trying to figure out whether there is an easy way to copy the Efi app to the ext ssd Efi partition that I am running windows so I use one external drive.

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
Skripach
(@skripach)

Is it possible to boot windows 10 from a daisy chained usb-c SSD, hooked to akitio t2 or node pro with GPU in it and make it work?

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

@karm
Bootcamp on ext ssd works fine. 

I connect the gaming box on the right bottom port and the ext ssd on the right top port. 
Initially i logged in windows and then connected the gaming box. The windows updated but the card was not recognized. Win 10 asked me to reboot. 
When i rebooted windows log in screen appeard on my ext monitor connected on the gaming box with dispaly port. 
The internal screen is not working but its ok. 
After that i just start up windows with the gaming box connected and it just works. 
Forza horizon 4 and motorsports 7 play at 55 fps at ultra setting wiht blur nad aa off. Heaven ultla with Tes normal and 2x AA full screen 1080p at 65fps, Valley ultra, with 2x AA full screen 1980x1080 at 67 fps. 

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
bwarnick
(@bwarnick)

@doxadeo

How did you do this?I can't figure out how to change security settings on the startup disk

ReplyQuote