2018 Intel NUC8i7HVK [8th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps -TB3 (ADT-Link R43SF *...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Intel NUC8i7HVK [8th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps -TB3 (ADT-Link R43SF * M.2-TB3) + Win10  

RSS

ciforia
(@ciforia)

Hi all, been a long time since I started going to eGPU route.

Now, I that I have the time to game, I'm updating my eGPU setup from HP ProDesk Mini with GTX 1060 (here) to Intel NUC8i7HVK.

I'm still waiting for my 2080 Super FE to arrive on Monday (No luck for 3080, couldn't wait any longer as I only have <2 months before I start working again).

So here it is right now, without the GPU. I'll update this thread after I have my card. I will also have the ADT-Link R3G TB3 in my possession sometime next week, so I can test the performance penalty of TB3 vs M.2 using this build.

So it's finally here, I have the GPU and the ADT Link R3G TB3. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to establish the TB3 connection, not sure whether this is my NUC at fault or just faulty TB3 to NVMe adapter. I bought the whole thing off of eBay Auction for GBP 24 (brand new). I've also tried to use my laptop with it to no avail. Additionally, also tried putting NVMe drive inside the adapter and the thing still wouldn't connect. TB3 driver, as well as Control Center, are already installed. Connecting the TB3 enclosure to PC triggers TB notification, but only showing port 1 & 2 without showing device connected. I will have to troubleshoot this sometime later. For now, I'm attaching the benchmark using M.2 interface.     

The Setup

- Intel NUC8i7HVK [8th,4C,G] i7 8809G with Vega GH

- RTX 2080 Super FE

- ADT-Link R43SF

- ADT-Link R3G TB3

- Gamemax Vertical GPU mount (Include x16 riser cable)

- 650W SFX Modular Power Supply

photo6339189558314380018
photo6339189558314380019
eGPU3 (2)
eGPU2
eGPU1

Benchmark

Superposition Benchmark v1.1 7571 1602002119
This topic was modified 3 months ago
2015 HP ProDesk Mini 600 G2 [6th,2C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 8Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R53SF ) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage and Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ciforia, What an ingenious idea to use the vertical GPU mount as both a base and mounting bracket for the PSU! If the ADT-Link adapter cable is long enough, you could go without using the extension cable and mount the NUC on top or to the side of PSU. We're looking forward to seeing the final results.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ciforia
(@ciforia)

@itsage Yes I initially wanted to go for 3d printing service, but it ended up much more expensive than retail eGPU enclosure. This is a good compromise in between, as it also ended up much cheaper. I can probably laser cut acrylic sheet to create a fully-covered enclosure to go with the metal base, but that would need additional fans to help airflow. And I kinda like the cooler design so I think I'm keeping it this way for now. 

I can probably put the NUC under the metal base, but that would increase the height footprint and prevents my monitor to be positioned lower as the GPU would get in the way for the monitor arm. I think the most ideal situation would be to mount my NUC under the desk to get a more clean setup.

This post was modified 3 months ago
2015 HP ProDesk Mini 600 G2 [6th,2C,T] + GTX 1060 @ 8Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R53SF ) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ciforia, I like a bare looking GPU too. Your current arrangement of the eGPU and NUC is very nice. Thank you for sharing this build!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nikita NN
(@nikita_nn)

hi

it is interesting what's the difference in performance between connecting through TB3 and M2.nvme, since the diagram shows that TB3 is not directly connected to the CPU, only through the PCH HM175 hub, like the M.2 slots too, so as result the DMI is a bottleneck for both connections.

thanks!

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote