Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac mini egpu issues using reFind or Automate EGPU

2018 Mac mini egpu issues using reFind or Automate EGPU  

RSS

Vrk3ds
(@vrk3ds)

I am out of ideas and hoping someone may have had a similar issue.

My hardware is as follows:
2018 Mac mini 32 gb
OSX Mojave 10.14.5
512 gb ssd
Akitio Node Pro
Vega Frontier Edition
Viewsonic 4k monitor connected to egpu
Viewsonic 4k monitor connected via HDMI on Mac mini
Latest build of Windows on external 750 gb SSD connected via tb3 (Akitio enclosure)

I have tried to use reFIND, and it simply will not load the boot screen? Did you run into any issues with installing it? I used the install script included with the zip file?
Did you have to do anything special to get it working?

When I boot normally via option into windows, it recognizes the egpu, switches the boot process to that display and disables the igpu.

Once Windows loads, it has fully recognized the egpu, and the display properties shows the second(igpu) as a second monitor, but is black(presumably not receiving a signal)

Any thoughts or ideas on any of this would be greatly appreciated

This topic was modified 2 months ago

2018 Mac Mini 32gb 512 ssd
Akitio Node Pro with Vega Frontier Edition
Dual boot OSX and Bootcamp Windows via External SSD

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

No idea about auto instal, but I instal rEFInd manually and its super easy and works for me.
At a guess I'd say you prob have to disable some security settings too - the T2 chip may be preventing it working. Secure boot or something? I don't have enough experience with that just a vague notion of it which is hopefully enough to point you in the right direction...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I personally don’t recommend installing Windows on an external SSD if you setting up for use with eGPU. There are too many variables for things to go wrong and on-going maintenance through updates is a nightmare. If you want to preserve internal SSD space, you can partition 60GB for the Boot Camp volume to store Windows system files and use the external SSD for other files.

Regarding setting up an eGPU with the 2018 Mac mini, go with Windows 10 1903. I’ve found this W10 version can detect the eGPU through hot-plug and no error 12. You don’t need any boot loader solutions if the Vega Frontier works through hot-plug. Here’s my recent 2018 Mac mini build running Windows 10 1903.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Vrk3ds
(@vrk3ds)

@itsage

So I spent several hours setting boot camp up on the internal ssd again, installing reFIND, tweaking etc, and was able to get both gpu’s working, but the main reason I am jumping through all of these hoops with Bootcamp was to be able to use AMD’s pro drivers, and specifically their RELIVE application to be able to stream vr to my HTC Vive Focus Plus. 

So, I discovered two things through this long process.

1. Relive will only work when iGPU is deactivated, so no two monitor setup for me 🙁 iGPU activated, no RELIVE in Amd driver, boot with iGPU deactivated, and RELIVE is a tab/available in the driver, and works great with steamvr.

2. Microsoft sucks! I couldn’t figure out how to move/install non Microsoft store apps to an external drive to free up space/not run out of space on the internal SSD.  So back to running bootcamp on external SSD 🙁

thanks for everyone’s help with this especially @itsage.

Hopefully, I just saved someone else countless hours in troubleshooting this setup.

2018 Mac Mini 32gb 512 ssd
Akitio Node Pro with Vega Frontier Edition
Dual boot OSX and Bootcamp Windows via External SSD

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Starting with Catalina Beta 5, there’s Boot Screen support through the eGPU on 2018 Mac mini. You can have both monitors connected to the eGPU directly. Have the eGPU connected and don’t use any boot loader should keep the iGPU deactivated.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

Vrk3ds liked
ReplyQuote
(@wesbeyrent)

Posted by: @vrk3ds

Relive will only work when iGPU is deactivated, so no two monitor setup for me 🙁 iGPU activated, no RELIVE in Amd driver, boot with iGPU deactivated, and RELIVE is a tab/available in the driver, and works great with steamvr.

Hi @vrk3ds:

How did you get your machine to boot with the iGPU deactivated? Was that rEFInd? I'm having the same issue where the display properties show 2 displays but one is black. 

My boot sequence is all black on the internal MacBook screen and the external screen. I don't see anything until the Windows login screen shows up on the external monitor.

The Iris Pro chip doesn't show up in the Device Manager, but the Apple LCD does as a "Generic PnP Monitor" with a Hardware ID as MONITOR\APPA019. 

I'm trying to use it for VR, but all I get is a black headset when I run SteamVR. I'd love to use RELIVE instead of ALVR or Virtual Desktop, but it doesn't show up in the AMD driver app/window.

My setup:
Mid-2014 MacBook Pro 15" with Intel Iris Pro chip
Windows 10 v1151
Sonnet Breakaway 550
XFX Radeon RX 580
Automate eGPU EFI boot used for initial windows install, now booting without the USB stick at all.

Any help or thoughts wold be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Mid-2014 MacBookPro11,2 w/Intel Iris iGPU only (ugh)
Sonnet Breakaway 550 with XFX Radeon RX 580
Bootcamp Windows 10 v1607

ReplyQuote