Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini with Boot Camp

2018 Mac Mini with Boot Camp  

RSS

jimmcq
(@jimmcq)

I am looking to get a 2018 Mac Mini, a Razer Core X eGPU, and a Radeon RX Vega 56 video card.  What issues should I be aware of (particularly when it comes to Boot Camp)?

I am familiar with installing Boot Camp, and I know there are various Boot Camp eGPU guides out there, but I'd just like to know what I'm in for... will I need to jump through any hoops like hot-plugging during Windows boot? EFI? kexts? Error 12?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
thevoiceover
(@thevoiceover)

I too am in the same boat as you are in.  I went ahead and purchased my mini 2018, the Razer Core X and a Vega 64, I attempted to do all this on my own and didn't really read into this before I purchased as I figured I wouldn't run into issues as I assumed Bootcamp was just Windows itself. I assumed that the mac UEFI/BIOS would just work for this device in Windows like a normal Windows box as that is how Apple kind of explained it from my reading - now I know I was wrong..     I currently am stuck and do not know how to get this running in Windows.   I only have one device with a Thunderbolt 3 - the Mac.   What I did do, make sure it (Razer Core X) was all running in Mac and it was, so I then booted Windows and plugged her in, it showed up base system and Vega 64 under system information in this Windows environment, but they had exclamations beside them.  So I tried turning my Razer Off/On and it tried to reinstall them,  but locked up Windows,   I then rebooted the Mac, then it tried booting into Windows again - but this time with a flickering green screen and never fully booted.

This is where I am stuck, I do not know if it is even possible in my environment or what I could be doing wrong, a few searches led me here, but I have not found anyone with a similar setup or issues I am having or the direction I may need to go.    Last thing to mention, I do get occasional screen flickering in Mac (black screen for few seconds) and that drives me nuts...

Does anyone have ideas or a link here to possibly help us out so we know if this is fully possible or not.

Smile,
TVO

Mac Mini 2018 i7 / 256GB SDD / 8GB Mem / Razor Core X eGPU with Sapphire Vega64

ReplyQuote
jimmcq
(@jimmcq)

Here's a thread from someone else with a similar setup:  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/mac-mini-2018-egpu-under-bootcamp-error-12/

If Boot Camp isn't going to work smoothly on the Mac Mini with an eGPU then I think I may go with a new iMac instead.  I have a 2013 iMac now, and I'm pretty happy with it overall, but it is starting to show its age.  I was hoping that a Mac Mini would give me a more flexible upgrade path down the road, but only if it can run Boot Camp reliably.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

I have an almost identical setup: Mac Mini 2018, Core X and in my case a Vega 64.  Windows and Mac OS both boot and use the eGPU.  It took a few attempts to figure it out (mainly in the boot camp side) but it's running pretty smoothly now apart from the one issue I just posted in the forum (plugging anything else into the thunderbolt ports apart from the eGPU seems to prevent it from booting Windows to a login screen).

Mac Mini 2018 6-core i7, 32 GB/ Razer Core X / AMD Vega 64 / LG Ultrawide Display

ReplyQuote
jimmcq
(@jimmcq)

Thanks for the update, @Habadera

Any specific tips for setting up Boot Camp with the eGPU?

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

@jimmcq

It took several attempt to get it to run right.  I found the only way I could successfully get it to work on both OSes was via HDMI out on the card.  macOS would boot fine with a thunderbolt display output, but windows never got to the login screen (it's possible it did boot but something was causing the screen to be black - I'm looking into this now).  I think the main thing was to get everything set up first, i.e. don't try to install windows via boot camp with the eGPU connected.  Just do it on the vanilla mac.  Then once its installed and done its updates, shut down and connect the eGPU and boot and it'll install the drivers.  Also, DON'T assume that because the screen has been black for a while that it's definitely working.  I remember at one point, the screen was black for ages during the setup process and I was almost about to kill the power to the machine and suddenly it burst into life and showed me Windows login.  After that it booted straight away.

Also, there have been a couple of times when booting macOS when it's taken me to the pre-login "have you forgotten your password" screen - not sure what is causing that.  I'm writing this in Windows on my mini though, so it definitely works give or take one or two minor issues.

Mac Mini 2018 6-core i7, 32 GB/ Razer Core X / AMD Vega 64 / LG Ultrawide Display

ReplyQuote