Setup & Software Discussions
2018 MacBook Pro 13 + VEGA 64 in Razer Core X - Windows 10 Bootcamp low fps in C...

2018 MacBook Pro 13 + VEGA 64 in Razer Core X - Windows 10 Bootcamp low fps in CS:GO and Overwatch - Help Needed!  

RSS

leonnoel
(@leonnoel)

Hi, 

Currently at my wits end! My main reason for purchasing an eGPU was to play CS:GO and Overwatch at 1080p at 144hz. The eGPU seems to be working fine in both MacOS and Windows 10 via Bootcamp, but I am not getting more than 130 fps on CS:GO and no more than 110 fps on Overwatch at 1080p even with graphics on low! I've tried both the regular AMD drivers and bootcampdrivers.com. The regular drivers actually seemed to work slightly better, but I can not for the life of me figure out why my FPS is so low. 

I've made sure Radeon Chill is off,  made sure CS:GO was not FPS capped and that multi-core was turned was on, made sure that the graphics profile was set to performace, but nothing seems to work... 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! 

Laptop: 2018 Macbook Pro 13in

• 2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

GPU: MSI RX Vega 64 AIR Boost 8GB OC

Enclosure: Razer Core X

Laptop: 2018 Macbook Pro 13in: 2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz; Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655; 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3; 1TB SSD; Four Thunderbolt 3 ports; GPU: MSI RX Vega 64 AIR Boost 8GB OC; Enclosure: Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
twsmit
(@twsmit)

I felt compelled to reply since you're apparently my build doppelganger.  😛 Seriously we have almost exactly the same components.

The one detail you didn't mention is if you're using an external display. If not, bingo that is the issue. Using the internal display or a Thunderbolt monitor like I use, adds significant overhead in the 25-50% ballpark. I recently hooked my MBP to my TV running Doom 2016 @ 1080P with max settings. Around 100 FPS on the internal screen and 200+ FPS on the TV, I can't remember the exact fps off the top of my head but I hope that paints a picture.

To help you out I just fired up CSGO and Overwatch in Windows 10. I set my resolution to 1080p. I'm using the AMD.com drivers, not bootcamp.com display drivers to be clear.

My rig @1080p
CSGO / max settings w/ 8xAA = 150-175FPS on Dust 2 with bots
Overwatch / max settings = 100 FPS
Overwatch / lowest settings = 120-130 FPS

Your FPS seems a little low but not outrageously low for using the internal monitor. First thing I would do is use a TV or external monitor to re-benchmark your system and see if the FPS is significantly higher. If that doesn't work, ensure that you are using a 40Gb TB3 cable and not a 20Gb. Outside of that not sure what the problem could be.

As an aside, eGPUs are not generally the best for high FPS due to bandwidth and latency overhead, so you might have to recalibrate your expectations on that front. Generally eGPUs are good for high resolution w/ max details and <100 FPS scenarios, not so good at low res with high FPS. Good luck!

2018 13" MBP | i7 2.7ghz | 1TB | 16GB | Razer Core X eGPU | Asus Strix Vega 64 | OWC TB3 Dock | Apple Thunderbolt Display

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
leonnoel
(@leonnoel)

@twsmit Thanks for the reply!

I am indeed using a 1080p 144hz external monitor, have a cable matters 40Gb TB3 cable, and switched back to the AMD.com drivers. 

I'm stumped because even at 1080p on all low settings except for shadows I am not beating your CS:GO FPS even with an external monitor...

Can you think of any other things you may have done setup wise on Windows?

Thanks again for the reply, really appreciate it!

Laptop: 2018 Macbook Pro 13in: 2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz; Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655; 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3; 1TB SSD; Four Thunderbolt 3 ports; GPU: MSI RX Vega 64 AIR Boost 8GB OC; Enclosure: Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
twsmit
(@twsmit)

I’m using automate-egpu efi stored on a small 50mb partition, I hold down the option key at startup with eGPU attached. Otherwise no other modifications to bootcamp, no ports disabled, or anything like that.

Check that you’re using the October 2018 release of Windows 10. If you’re using a significantly dated version of Windows 10 that could be it.

Couple other thoughts:
- My Vega bios toggle is set to the lower power mode, you could try that.
- Also be sure your GPU power cables are seated correctly, not sure if it’s possible to POST without the power connectors but worth a try.

2018 13" MBP | i7 2.7ghz | 1TB | 16GB | Razer Core X eGPU | Asus Strix Vega 64 | OWC TB3 Dock | Apple Thunderbolt Display

ReplyQuote
leonnoel
(@leonnoel)

@twsmit Thank you, I tried all of your recommendations, but unfortunately no change in FPS...

Any other ideas? Anyone else spot something I am missing? 

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@leonnoel Just making sure, but you have hooked up your display directly to the eGPU, yes? That is:

Mac -> eGPU -> Display and not eGPU -> Mac <- Display. In the past some users have missed this.

Secondly, with the Vega 64, use GPU-Z to monitor performance. See any odd drops in load, etc. Try a different TB cable (preferably the shorter but IMO better Apple TB3 cable - I have both and IMO the experience was slightly better on the Apple cable).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
leonnoel
(@leonnoel)

@mac_editor Thank you for the reply, I honestly really appreciate it!

My setup is correct Mac -> eGPU -> Display  and I tried a different cable, no change. The really odd thing is that in MacOS the setup hits 200+ fps no problem. This leads me to believe that it is not the hardware / setup, but rather something odd with Bootcamp / Windows 10. 

Any other ideas? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@leonnoel interesting that you are able to see appropriate performance on macOS. I would definitely try some standard benchmarks, see performance as stated above using GPU-Z, check bandwidth using AIDA64, and compare benchmark results. Also try different windows performance modes. You seem to have set up your system by the book and all your settings seem on point to me - so hard for me to say, plus I’m not very well-versed with all of Windows’ mechanics (more a macOS person). Perhaps worst case try on a clean install.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
leonnoel
(@leonnoel)

@mac_editor Thanks for the tips!

I switched to Windows "Performance" Mode, but no luck there as well...

Also, did a User Benchmark Test. Seems like my CPU and and GPU are way under performing, but I am assuming that is Bootcamp and the eGPU setup...

User Benchmark Link

CPU: Intel Core i7-8559U - 70.7%

GPU: AMD RX Vega 64 - 117.8%

SSD: Apple APPLE SSD AP1024 1TB - 211.7%

RAM: Samsung K4EBE304EC-EGCG 2x8GB - 94.5%

MBD: Apple MacBookPro15,2

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@leonnoel What are the settings on your monitor? Do you have V-Sync enabled?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
leonnoel
(@leonnoel)

@itsage Thanks for the reply!

I have a ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor that is on a normal mode. V-Sync is confirmed off. In MacOS, the monitor can push 200+ fps in CS:GO which leads me to believe it might just be a windows problem... 

Any ideas? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

I have reason to believe that OS X’s AMD driver for Vega does not use the power profile in the firmware.
When I boot my iMac with Vega FE, the fan on it run really high. I think the Mac use the profile tuned for the iMac Pro’s internal Vega 56/64. I load the custom profile via kext. As I log-in on the Mac, the custom profile kicks in and fan quiets down.

But the Windows do use the profile loaded on the firmware, unless you override it somehow.

What I am getting at is that your Vega 64 is overlooked from factory, using the custom firmware settings. That may cause the GPU to draw more power then Core X can supply.

Try undervolting the Vega and see if the performance improves. Or try a better PSU.

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote