Setup & Software Discussions
2018 MBP 13" TB i5 + Aorus Gaming Box 1080 -- Simply will not work

2018 MBP 13" TB i5 + Aorus Gaming Box 1080 -- Simply will not work  

RSS

bvbz
 bvbz
(@bvbz)

I purchased my Gaming Box right when it first came out. I had a desktop at the time so I didn't use it (I had thought I'd use it when I travelled but I didn't get to travel so much). Anyway, now I am on the road a lot and decided to dust it off.

On a fresh Windows 10 1803, I was able to get it to install and run fine for a gaming session. After restart it was unreliable at best, requiring being unplugged for some time before it would work again. Even then it would only work sometimes, and could require multiple restarts with hotplugging right when the Windows wheel started spinning. Even then, most of the time it would disconnect as soon as Windows booted.

On to a fresh 1809 Windows! Well, I hotplugged it and it installed fine, but it never actually ran and after restart it wouldn't be detected for more than a second before disconnecting. No matter the order of operations here, it will not connect/light up. (It will power the laptop, but that is it). A hotplug in Windows would lead to the connection noise followed promptly by the disconnect noise.

I updated the firmware to 1.3, and now the computer won't even detect it.

I looked at several build guides, many suggested using automate-EGPU EFI. I have that on a separate partition of FAT and while the software will load, it will not detect the eGPU at all and hangs when it is plugged in. If I unplug the eGPU, it operates normally and I can select options.

At this point, I'm getting ready to give up. Is this a normal experience for eGPU ownership? Is it possible my eGPU is just a bad unit? It seems like most people have great experiences with their Gaming Box...

Anyway, thank you for helping.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Have you tried DDU to remove graphics drivers completely and disable Windows auto-install of device drivers? I always run DDU first in Boot Camp to make sure whatever Windows is doing in the background doesn't interfere with eGPU setup. When you boot with automate-eGPU EFI, the PCI ID of iGPU and eGPU should show up like the screen below. If it doesn't then you can try a power reset by leaving the enclosure completely disconnected to power for 15 minutes.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
bvbz
 bvbz
(@bvbz)

Posted by: itsage

Have you tried DDU to remove graphics drivers completely and disable Windows auto-install of device drivers? I always run DDU first in Boot Camp to make sure whatever Windows is doing in the background doesn't interfere with eGPU setup. When you boot with automate-eGPU EFI, the PCI ID of iGPU and eGPU should show up like the screen below. If it doesn't then you can try a power reset by leaving the enclosure completely disconnected to power for 15 minutes.

Thank you for responding, I appreciate it.

So, since my post the following sequence happened:
-Saw a post that suggested the PSUs in the Gaming Box are iffy.
-Used a Corsair PSU: Worked!
-Went back to stock PSU: Stopped working.
-Back to Corsair PSU: .... didn't work. 🙁
-Went to bed.
-Got home, tried Corsair PSU again: Worked!
-Stock PSU: Didn't work.
-Corsair PSU: Worked.

I think I'm going to order the Athena PSU I saw in another thread. It seems to be a PSU issue mixed with a bit of finickiness.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Sorry to hear the PSU in your Gaming Box is failing. Do you know if it's still under warranty?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
bvbz
 bvbz
(@bvbz)

No, but I was thinking about getting a Vega 56 anyway for macOS so it really isn't a big loss. Maybe order some fans as well to quiet it down.

ReplyQuote