2019 Lenovo S740 14" - Razer Core X Chroma - Setup randomly freezing and crashin...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 Lenovo S740 14" - Razer Core X Chroma - Setup randomly freezing and crashing  

RSS

(@mattis_druschke)

Hey guys,

I recently bought my Razer Core x Chroma with an Asus GTX 1660 Ti and am combining it with a Lenovo S740 14" with intel Iris, 16GB RAM and a i7 1065G7. I'm using a Razer mouse, a keyboard and a Samsung screen, that are all plugged into the Razer Core. After setting it up with by installing Nvidia Drivers for my GPU i have been running into multiple problems:

1. When starting my laptop up with the GPU enclosure connected, i run into a blue screen and my computer crashes. To get around this i can simply plug in the thunderbolt 3 cable after startup.

2. Sometimes as play games (It has happened while playing GTA5 and Minecraft) both my laptop and my screen freeze and are unresponsive. The only solution to this is forcing a restart by holding the powerbutton pressed for a few seconds.

3. I have noticed that my CPU is constantly running on 100%, is that a problem? The laptop is not heating up all that much so I'm not very concerned.

I have tried to check all my drivers for updates but it seems like all drivers are up to date. I am really clueless as to what could help or which drivers i could try to reinstall to fix the problem (which to me seems like the system is overloading or something).

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin_maestre)

@mattis_druschke

Hi im actually going thru this issue aswell with a Lenovo C940. It randomly freezes. I contacted support, and they said it was the thermal pasting may have been done incorrectly. Since i noticed it 2 weeks after purchase, they are sending me another one. If that doesnt work, i will decide if i should keep it or not. 

Just alone today ive had my system restart over 5-7 times.

I have a LENOVO C940 i7 with G7 intel iris graphics, 16GB, 1TB, - Razer Core X Chroma - 2080 SUPER - connected to a Samsung CRG90 - 49in ultrawide. 

(even without connecting my eGPU, i get freezing, if i play League of Legends on low, or on rare occasions if i stress it.

EDIT1: I noticed another forum here a while back that had similar issues with a different model lenovo/eGPU. I for one tried the restarting of Windows and it worked great but i did update/install NVIDIA drivers (which may have causes my setup, i might try again later... but really dont want to go thru the hassle atm)
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-14-lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-g7-8th4cu-rtx-207032gbps-tb3-aorus-gaming-box-win10-xinux/

This post was modified 5 months ago

Lenovo C940 14in - 4k Display - 1TB NVME - 16GB RAM - 10th Gen Intel i7 Processor with G7 Iris Graphics + Razer Core X Chroma + EVGA 2080 SUPER XC - 49in CRG90 Samsung Ultrawide Monitor.

ReplyQuote
(@mattis_druschke)

@kevin_maestre

Hi,

actually with my device it only usually freezes while connected to my Razer Core Chroma.

Weird enough i have located a problem by checking the system logs in event viewer after each crash. One thing i discovered was that Origin always was running in the background and usually crashed right before my system did freeze. I ended up blocking all origin processes in the task manager and havent experienced a single freeze since then (3 hours of gaming since then).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin_maestre)

@mattis_druschke

Im going to check that then Smile

Lenovo C940 14in - 4k Display - 1TB NVME - 16GB RAM - 10th Gen Intel i7 Processor with G7 Iris Graphics + Razer Core X Chroma + EVGA 2080 SUPER XC - 49in CRG90 Samsung Ultrawide Monitor.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin_maestre)

@mattis_druschke

Were you able to tell from the event viewer after each error/critical log that origin was the cause of the failure? I am unable to see that 🙁 

ReplyQuote
(@mattis_druschke)

@kevin_maestre

It always showed up with a red exclamation mark that the origin web helper service had failed, and shortly thereafter the crash was happening.It was under the applications tab in the event viewer.

ReplyQuote