2019 Lenovo Yoga S740 14" (Intel Iris Plus) [10th, 1065G7] + GTX 1660 Ti 6Gb TB3...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 Lenovo Yoga S740 14" (Intel Iris Plus) [10th, 1065G7] + GTX 1660 Ti 6Gb TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10  

RSS

(@mattis_druschke)

System Specs:

• 2019 Lenovo Yoga S740 14" with i7-1065G7, 16Gb RAM, Intel Iris Plus, FHD Display
  • Asus GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
  • Razer Core X Chroma
  • Samsung 24" curved 1920x1080 screen
  • Razer deathadder chroma mouse and standard keyboard

Pictures:

IMG 20200127 215925(1)(1)
IMG 20200127 215846(1)(1)
IMG 20200127 215901(1)(1)

Installation:

Installation by connecting everything together and installing needed drivers. All peripherals are connected to the Core X Chroma and only one single cable connects to my laptop.

Comments:

I am able to play games like GTA V in high settings with 60+ FPS, War Thunder in max settings with ~100 FPS, Dota 2 in max settings with 100+ FPS. The processor overclocks when charging and reaches a peak of 3.8 GHz.

I have realized that my setup is not quite true plug and play because it cant be connected on boot, and once I disconnect the thunderbolt cable I need to reboot the PC.

In the beginning I was experiencing random crashes where my computer would freeze and be completely unresponsive. I was able to solve this issue by changing the global preferences in the Nvidia control panel to always max performance mode.

Feel free to ask questions to my build and I will gladly follow up and update my post!

Also i would gladly add pictures. How do i do that?

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Pls complete the build template when submitting your build.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
(@jeremy_yan)

Hi, thank you for your contribution. I was planning to invest in the exact same setup except I was going to go for the i5 variant of the yoga, do you reckon this is sufficient for gaming? Also do you think that this setup overall is worth it, or should one just go and grab a gaming laptop.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)

@mattis_druschke,  Just out of couriosity: Why are you not able to connect the eGPU at boot? Do you get an Error on Boot?

I use the c940 which should have a similar layout as the S740 together with the Core X Chroma as well and had no such issue, after disabeling Fast Startup in Energy Options (-> no driver conflict).

Best regards

phila

Lenovo Yoga c940 15": i7-9750h / GTX 1650 Max-Q / 16 GB RAM / 1 TB NVMe @ Razer Core Chroma: RTX 2070 Super / 1 TB SSD / 2 TB RAID 1 / AOC C3583FQ / LG 1500 / G 604 / G 613 / Sony MDR 1000

ReplyQuote
(@mattis_druschke)

@jeremy_yan

Hi, I have been experiencing that my CPU usually reaches pretty high usage and i think my CPU bottlenecks my setup. Still I am able to play the games i want on mostly Ultra settings. Even though it is a really cool setup I would say that in my case it would have been cheaper to just go for a nice gaming PC and a rather crappy laptop.

Regards,

Mattis

@phila-delphia,

Hey!

At first I experienced some issues with my Bitlocker encryption where I would need to input my Bitlocker recovery key if the Razer Core X Chroma was connected on boot (I think it interprets the core as a boot device(?)). I then tried disabling my device encryption which got rid of that issue. If I start my laptop up with the Core connected, I don't get the colorful Lenovo logo, but a simple windows 10 logo. The GPU is not recognized and my peripherals are not working. I have tried disabling fast startup aswell but with no success.

regards,

Mattis

ReplyQuote
phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)

@mattis_druschke,  I had the Bit-Locker Problem with my Yoga 720 when I had it connected to the Razer Core. But I realized that I just had to restart the notebook an it would boot. I found out that it was a driver problem on my end. After disabeling "fast startup" & doing a "clean reboot" the problem was gone (guess I disabled secure boot in bios as well?!) Anyhow your problem sounds way more complicated... Sorry to hear that!

All the best to you!

phila

Lenovo Yoga c940 15": i7-9750h / GTX 1650 Max-Q / 16 GB RAM / 1 TB NVMe @ Razer Core Chroma: RTX 2070 Super / 1 TB SSD / 2 TB RAID 1 / AOC C3583FQ / LG 1500 / G 604 / G 613 / Sony MDR 1000

ReplyQuote