2019 MacBook (eGPU stopped working - 1903 Build - Razer Core v2 & GTX 1080)

Notifications
Clear all

2019 MacBook (eGPU stopped working - 1903 Build - Razer Core v2 & GTX 1080)  

of  3
  RSS

D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

Hello,

After being informed that by using build 1903 I am able to switch the graphical setting with the windows built-in graphic settings. I was using that. However, recently (2 hrs ago) it all stopped working. I got error 43 and applied the patch that was created, and the GPU was now being read in the device manager. However, it went away in graphic settings! Anyway, tldr I removed that partition and created a new one. This time I've created so many restore points to help troubleshoot, but so far no luck. Right now, I have plugged the Razer Core V2 in and Windows has automatically installed the Razer Core drivers and the GTX 1080 Drivers. After it did that I tried the graphic settings, but it wasn't showing. So then I installed the driver settings for my 1080 directly from NVIDIA (it read the card and installed). I come back in Windows to find that the GPU is indeed being read in the device manager, but not being read in the graphical settings. I'm super stumped because this was the exact same process I did before and it was all working fine. Now all of sudden nothing is working. I recently invested quite a bit into my eGPU set up in hopes of it working, but I've really lost a lot of motivation. Any help in getting this fixed would be very much appreciated. 

Regards,

D3monw3st

This topic was modified 12 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@d3monw3st As you've probably already surmised, Windows can be rather flaky. The only suggestions that come to mind are:

• Uninstall all drivers using DDU and retry setting up the GPUs.
  • Clean install Windows 1903 and start over.

Good luck. Seems like an odd issue. Hopefully someone with more insight than myself could chime in (@itsage / @oliverb).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@d3monw3st
MS Hybrid doesn't work older nVidia drivers. If you update them you will have the feature.

Note, when you update them to drivers newer than about 411 then you will lose OpenCL for nVidia when combined when AMD drivers. If you don't need OpenCL just use the newest nVidia drivers.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor With regards to DDU I did that with my prior build and it was rather messed up afterwards, showing only Microsoft Display Adapter and not allowing me to install NVIDIA drivers. As of now, I am on a clean install, but still doesn’t work.

@oliverb Thanks for the reply, right now I do have the latest drivers for the GPU installed, but something weird is that even though the GPU shows up in the device manager when I launch the GeForce Experience it doesn’t seem to recognize the card. 

If you don’t mind me asking, could I get a dummy step by step on how to set up my GPU? I wonder if I’m doing something obliviously wrong and just don’t know it. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @d3monw3st

@mac_editor With regards to DDU I did that with my prior build and it was rather messed up afterwards, showing only Microsoft Display Adapter and not allowing me to install NVIDIA drivers. As of now, I am on a clean install, but still doesn’t work.

@oliverb Thanks for the reply, right now I do have the latest drivers for the GPU installed, but something weird is that even though the GPU shows up in the device manager when I launch the GeForce Experience it doesn’t seem to recognize the card. 

If you don’t mind me asking, could I get a dummy step by step on how to set up my GPU? I wonder if I’m doing something obliviously wrong and just don’t know it. 

@d3monw3st
You are asking the right person, I wrote *the* Bootcamp Step-by-Step guide. Of course I can only guarantee success for a freshly installed Windows 10 Build 1803. Other versions behave a little different and old installation tend to yield more errors.

PS: Depending on the drivers windows is installing to may have to update the drivers at the end in order to have MS Hybrid.

This post was modified 12 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@oliverb

Gotcha! Very nice guide, thank you for creating it. I might give it a try on my 1903 build and if it doesn’t work then I’ll hop onto 1803. I’ll restart from a recovery point and give it a try. With your guide do I set the graphic settings to use high performance just like how I once had it? 

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb

Gotcha! Very nice guide, thank you for creating it. I might give it a try on my 1903 build and if it doesn’t work then I’ll hop onto 1803. I’ll restart from a recovery point and give it a try. With your guide do I set the graphic settings to use high performance just like how I once had it? 

@d3monw3st
This feature you talk about "graphics settings to use high performance" is called MS Hybrid and it is only important, if you use the internal display. If you have an external display the system always uses your eGPU for high performance.

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@oliverb

Yeah, my intent is to use the internal display and accelerate that. Would the guide still work with MS Hybrid? 

Regards,

D3monw3st

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb

Yeah, my intent is to use the internal display and accelerate that. Would the guide still work with MS Hybrid? 

Regards,

D3monw3st

Yes, the guide supports MS Hybrid.
If you have a look at this post of mine within the guide,, you can see it.

ReplyQuote
D3monw3st
(@d3monw3st)
Eminent Member

@oliverb

Ah okay, perfect. I will give it a try. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 of  3