A problem about windows startup. MBP2016/bootcamp  

RSS

karzo
(@karzo)
October 23, 2018 11:44 am  

Above all: I am from Chinese and I am not a native speaker. So some statements of my may be weird. Sorry for that but I really need you help.

My devices: macbook pro 2016, razer core X, amd vega 56, mac os 10.14, windows10(I don't know the specific version)
And, I have successfully set up according to this page: https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/

These are my problems:
After these settings, can I not start Windows through bootcamp without egpu? Sometimes I will start Windows only. When I get into rEFInd boot menu, I will have 3 choices: launch windows(EFI), mac os, windows(bootcamp). If I use the EFI, I have to connect my egpu and monitor otherwise I will get stuck in the Windows startup interface(the white circle consisting of multiple points stops rotating ). If I use the bootcamp, there will be a notice: Please make sure that you have the latest firmware update installed,*Hit any key to continue*.

What should I do???

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 23, 2018 12:34 pm  

Reading over the symptoms I take it your 2016 MacBook Pro is a 15" model. The setup process in my guide requires the Radeon dGPU to be disabled in order to accelerate internal display with eGPU. Before you switch back to macOS, you would have to re-enable PCI Controller 1901 for dGPU. Otherwise you would see the stuck Windows logo with spinning dots.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

karzo liked
ReplyQuote
karzo
(@karzo)
October 23, 2018 3:26 pm  

Thank you so much!

I’m glad to hear back soon. Your answer isvery helpful to me and I'll try the solution you mentioned.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
karzo
(@karzo)
November 5, 2018 11:01 am  

I've tried your solution these days. It's feasible. Thank you very much!
But then there's a new problem: when I started Boot Camp, it showed that only my iGPU was working. Does that mean I can't use dGPU in bootcamp anymore?

I understand that in the previous steps I unloaded the dGPU driver and made it unable to work, but I want to ask if I can reload it now. Enables me to use eGPU (home) and dGPU(out) at the same time.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 5, 2018 1:14 pm  

Yes you can do that by installing modified Radeon graphics drivers. Bootcampdrivers.com is a good resource for these drivers.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote