Akitio Node Duo, Intel NUC i9, and twin GTX980Ti

Notifications
Clear all

Akitio Node Duo, Intel NUC i9, and twin GTX980Ti  

RSS

Rosski
(@rosski)

Hi

I posted sometime ago about trying to get the Akitio Node Duo to work with my rather old Z Book G2. Despite trying 1.35 I never did get it working.

Anyhow I've moved on to an Intel NUC i9. So far I can get one of the eGPU's working but I'm still getting the dread code 12 one the other one.

Setup at the moment is minimalistic until I can resolve the eGPU issue or can find an RTX out there at a reasonable price. 32Gb RAM, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo, integrated GPU.

I've tried to use 1.35 but even trying to use a USB boot drive I still cant get the system to boot into 1.35

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Some things to try to eradicate the error code 12 against the eGPU, rebooting and testing eGPU status after each:

1. If your system (ZBook more likely than NUC) has a dGPU, enable Optimus/Switchable graphics in the BIOS. Then in Windows Device Manager, highlight Display Adapters->dGPU. Then select the View->Devices by connection menu. Above the highlighted dGPU will be a PCIe port. Right-click disable it after which the dGPU will disappear and allow resources for the eGPU to use.

2. Apple Hackflags 0x600.

3. Check if your BIOS allows a 'large memory' area in Device Manager as shown below. If not, do a DSDT override.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rosski
(@rosski)

Hi Nando

OK, so yes we have a Large Memory area and it's showing in the Device Manager.

And yes the NUC has an Intel UHD 630 but it cant be disabled in the BIOS. Only choices are enabled or auto, it's currently set to auto.

I've tried the HackFlags work around but it doesnt work for me.

I dont appear to have the option to post a screen grab of my Device Manager but there's no PCIe port above the dGPU, or at least the first one above it is for the NVMe Controller.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Also disable Thunderbolt security in the BIOS and enable Thunderbolt boot.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rosski
(@rosski)

OK, so I've now tried everything but I still cant get both cards working.

So I've removed one from the system and will run with one for now.

It does at least inform my next purchase which will be an RTX30xx if I can find somewhere that has them.

ReplyQuote
Rosski
(@rosski)

OK, so thanks to all that contributed to this.

The solution is currently messy but can be tidied up.

I got hold of a PCIe 16x extension cable which I've connected to the internal PCIe slot and run out of the NUC where the graphics card would normally sit. So I now effectively have one GTX980Ti plugged into the NUC and one plugged into the Akitio.

On first start up the TB3 Controller was showing no resources available but all that was needed was to uncheck secure boot in the BIOS as suggested by Nando4.

So I now have two GTX980Ti's working which means I should be able to get two RTX cards working as well in their place.

ReplyQuote
Rosski
(@rosski)

One remaining question.

Using FurMark shows that the GTX980Ti in the PCIe slot is taking pretty much all the load, the eGPU doesnt appear to be doing much.

Is this to be expected or am I missing something?

ReplyQuote