Akitio Node GTX1080 vs Internal GTX1060  

of  2
  RSS

PFCBarefoot
(@pfcbarefoot)

MSI GS63VR 6700HQ & GTX1060

Thunderbolt 1575 Controller

Akitio Node with GTX 1080

Long story short it does "work" however with most games the internal 1060 will outperform the 1080 when connected to external monitor. For example, Wildlands (mix of high/very high) yields 40-50s on the 1080 and 60s on the 1060. Other games just refuse to start. I cannot start GTA V or Battlefield 1 with the eGPU. 

If you have a 1060...no reason to go the eGPU route.

Unless I've missed something that someone else knows will help my GTX1080 performance.

EDIT EDIT EDIT : It looks like my Akitio Node is suffering from an issue causing half H2D bandwidth due to the TI83 board. Akitio is looking into the problem.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

turhank liked
ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

and External Display:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

2012 13" MacBook Air [3rd,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12 // external HDD Windows [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: PFCBarefoot

Long story short it does "work" however with most games the internal 1060 will outperform the 1080 when connected to external monitor..

Unless I've missed something that someone else knows will help my GTX1080 performance.

Pls compare your CUDA-Z host-to-device (H2D) results to see if you too are only getting half-bandwidth through as reported at https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/alert-akitio-node-half-h2d-bandwidth-issue/#post-5541

If so, would you mind posting your:

1. CUDA-Z->Performance tab with your GTX1080 as the target,

2. The hwinfo64 info tree showing your TB3 controllers, making the window large enough to include your SSD. Like this.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
PFCBarefoot
(@pfcbarefoot)

Posted by: nando4

Posted by: PFCBarefoot

Long story short it does "work" however with most games the internal 1060 will outperform the 1080 when connected to external monitor..

Pls compare your CUDA-Z host-to-device (H2D) results to see if you too are only getting half-bandwidth through as reported at https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/alert-akitio-node-half-h2d-bandwidth-issue/#post-5541

If so, would you mind posting your:

1. CUDA-Z->Performance tab with your GTX1080 as the target,

2. The hwinfo64 info tree showing your TB3 controllers, making the window large enough to include your SSD. Like this.

Yeah I am suspecting the same issue here. I will run Cuda-Z tomorrow and update this thread with the information.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
PFCBarefoot
(@pfcbarefoot)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
PFCBarefoot
(@pfcbarefoot)

ReplyQuote
PFCBarefoot
(@pfcbarefoot)

Here are some gaming benchmarks comparing the internal GTX 1060 against the Node w/ GTX 1080. All tests were done using an external monitor. It is interesting to me that they are more/less equal and some games actually do better on the 1060 ranther than the 1080. Still unable to test the difference a TI82 controller would make vs a TI83.

MSI GS63VR - 6700HQ & 16GB DDR4

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
PFCBarefoot
(@pfcbarefoot)

Unfortunately it looks like the eGPU thing didn't quite pan out for me. I was really hoping to get a little bit of improvement over the 1060 so I could use the 1080 at home and 1060 while on the road. Oh well. I will likely sell the Node and build an itx system instead. Maybe when Thunderbolt 4 comes in a few years I will try again.

ReplyQuote
Poblopuablo
(@poblopuablo)
Eminent Member

I'll buy your node Smile

ReplyQuote
PFCBarefoot
(@pfcbarefoot)

Posted by: Poblopuablo

I'll buy your node Smile

I am going to put it up for sale on eBay and I will post the link here for those interested.

ReplyQuote
 of  2