Setup & Software Discussions
Akitio Thunder 2+Dell DA-2, Kareon Kable...

Akitio Thunder 2+Dell DA-2, Kareon Kable splitter | Mid 2012 Macbook Pro (non-retina) | GTX 1060 6GB SC {Comprehensive Help Needed - Hopefully a future resource!}  

RSS

averyminya
(@averyminya)
Jun 9, 2019 7:39 am  

Hey Team.

I'm having an eGPU detection issue. And with the plethora of information available, everything is a little daunting and I am not sure where to start. Thus, a few posts thrown around here and there hoping for an answer.

Mid-2012 Macbook Pro, Non-Retina, NVIDIA GT 650M. I have purchased the Kareon Kable "Dell DA-2 Power Supply) Akitio Thunder to 90 Degree 6-Pin PCI-E Cable", as well as the Dell DA-2 Power Supply adapter.

I am using the Akitio Thunder 2 with an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB. I've been doing my best to follow all the guides available, specifically enjoy's, ozzy's, along with a number of other threads... I'm beginning to get at my wits end. I have been e-mailing with Nando and he believes there is a power supply issue, and while I wouldn't doubt it, I haven't the slightest clue where to begin. I have begun an email to Kareon Kables inquiring about a possible replacement - I do not have the means to solder parts together, I'm aiming for most plug-and-play possible. It's within my grasp, it seems to just be one thing that I'm missing 🙁

Thus far:

MacOS: I have 2 Mid-2012's, however the one that I use is Mojave. It seems there's just the fact that I have to downgrade for that. Unfortunate, but doable, and I may not even do so because of how little I use MacOS. However, to troubleshoot, I hotplugged my setup into the other laptop running high sierra. I do not know if it would have automatically appeared (it did not), and I was unable to try nvidia.purge.sh and purge.wrangler.sh (or whatever they are, you know what I'm talking about! 🙂  ). With that, I have learned that it's not just my laptop, meaning something in the build has gone wrong. Alas, I want to get it to work, so a bit more tinkering. MacOS is not my primary operating system despite my Macbook Pro, this is a gaming laptop first and a creative development laptop second, thus Windows is the priority and MacOS doesn't actually need the eGPU. I'll take dark mode and not having to worry about an EFI boot or any shenanigans, Apple can take pride in their hardware and software just working. Onto Windows!

Windows 10: So, a reinstall would be awful because it would be the literal 14th fresh install that I've had to do on this computer. Between crashes, updates that crash, and then getting a new SSD (which then updated and crashed...), I have had my computer at an all time high of most stable, my only missing feature being brightness control in Windows 10 on any driver that isn't the original 327 series.

All this said. I do have a 750GB HDD that I want to replace my current secondary internal HDD.  From what I understand, in order to get 325GB partitioned for both MacOS and Windows 10, I would need to do something pretty close to a fresh install anyway. ***If*** I can get away with not reinstalling Windows 10, that would be great. However, if I must in order to get the eGPU to be detected, then so be it, I will use this opportunity to also increase my internal storage. And cry. Moving on.

Solution 1: the current automate.egpu.sh through EFI seems to be the next best bet, however for some reason Windows 10 isn't booting. That doesn't matter much though, because the program doesn't detect an eGPU. That seems to be the issue everywhere I look.

Current problem: In working with Nando through e-mail, setup 1.35 simply doesn't detect the GPU either, no matter the physical steps I take.

My current steps to attempt to get the GTX to power on are limited. I can unplug and replug 4 sources:
The GTX 1060 PCIe chip to the Akitio PCIe slot.
Akitio Power (provided from the DA-2, split with the Kareon Kable)
DA-2 Power directly, or the Kareon Cable adapter which plugs into the DA-2 power source.
Plugging in the power to the GTX directly.

The GTX reacts when I "touch tips" of the male (GTX) and female ends (Kareon), and the fan on the GTX and the Akitio will begin to spin. The GTX will always stop as I finish plugging in the cable securely. Furthermore, if I plug it in quickly and smoothly, the GTX tends to do nothing. However, if I plug it in in such a way that it feels more firm, the GTX will be active, it spins once, it has even been what I can only assume to be ON when I am in alt-opt boot. Beyond that, I am currently getting a flicker of a spin on the GTX fan every few seconds, however as I have mentioned it's still not detected in my device manager.

Currently, I am in Windows 10 with the GTX plugged into the Akitio, which has a Thunderbolt cable (I have an Apple thunderbolt, as well as the Akitio one that was provided, both the same results) plugged into my Macbook Pro. There are 2 blue lights and 1 green light on the Akitio, and the GTX fan flickers every 15-30 seconds. However, if I hotplug it (unplug and replug), this will stop and not begin again. Furthermore, in device manager, the only display adapter is my dGPU, the 650M.

My next step will be to use the High Sierra 2012 Macbook Pro and use the .sh files to see if the eGPU is detected. However, beyond that I'm not very sure what I should begin to do, as if it is detected, I am unsure as where my issue lies. And again, MacOS is a secondary end goal (i.e. if it's plug-and-play then of course I'll use it, if it's a hassle to boot both ways, I'll just leave my computer on like I already do.)

I'm not well versed in power supply, and can understand that the GTX is getting power, but potentially not enough. While it seems that the DA-2 provides enough power, my issue may lie in the splitter that I am using? If this is the case, please recommend a splitter - I would really appreciate the ability to purchase it in compact. Buying 2-3 items and the connecting them is not ideal 🙁

If I need to swap things out, I can return these items, however I would like to use what I already have, although I am expecting to replace the Kareon cable at minimum.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Once I get a feel for what I am doing, I feel confident in helping others and feel that I can be valuable to others who are in my position as 2012 is a hot year for Macbooks. However, on the forum here there is not many posts for non-retina 2012's that use NVIDIA 1060.

Cheers,

Avery

Trying to get an Mid-2012 Macbook Pro (Non-Retina) GT 650M to work with Akito Thunder 2 and GTX 1060 6GB, using a Kameron Cable and a Dell DA-2 Power Adapter.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
Jun 9, 2019 9:35 am  

Kareon Kables has had quality problems reported on here before. A replacement would be worthwhile pursuing. Or else can DIY your own as pictorially shown here, copied below:

You will need only external PSU power:

About external PSUs without fan we have 3 options for mini-eGPU:

Shopping list cables for DELL DA-2 220W:

1 x Barrel 5.5mm x 2.5mm

1 x Startech.com 6 inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable

1 x 6 pin (F) PCIe to dual 8pin (6+2) (M) cable

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
averyminya
(@averyminya)
Jun 9, 2019 5:15 pm  

Noted, given that the DA-2 seems to work for everyone else, the issue must like elsewhere. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/EotpgL6

Here is the Kareon receiver, where the Dell DA-2 plugs in. You'll notice there are 6 pins, plus one extra totalling 7 pins (3x2+1). 

Are there are other sources for getting just a single component? If not I can return the Kareon and simply do the diy method, it would just be really nice to have a single piece that I know I can't mess up, haha!

Thanks a bunch Nando, and anyone else who comes through!  

Trying to get an Mid-2012 Macbook Pro (Non-Retina) GT 650M to work with Akito Thunder 2 and GTX 1060 6GB, using a Kameron Cable and a Dell DA-2 Power Adapter.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Jun 9, 2019 5:29 pm  

@averyminya For macOS, Mojave does not have drivers for the 1060, so it will not work. For High Sierra, see purge-wrangler and purge-nvda.

For Windows, you will have invaluable assistance since you are using @nando4's software, but do see some of the newer build guides such as: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2012-15-macbook-pro-gt650m-gtx97010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-macoswindows-10-kyrio/

For initial setup at least, use known-good components as mentioned above. If following the setup guides does not work at all, switch out hardware components one by one (if feasible) to find root cause - it is best to match an existing build.

About automate-eGPU EFI - don't go by what it detects pre-boot - it's normal for it to miss detection sometimes but does not affect actual use.

This post was modified 1 week ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote
averyminya
(@averyminya)
Jun 9, 2019 6:02 pm  

Awesome! Kyrio's was the one whose name I couldn't remember! That thread has been very helpful but also slightly daunting with needing to do a reinstall of Widows, however I also did not have nandos link to the software yet, and so I was unable to complete the full guide. 

I'm at work now, but later today I plan to uninstall my dGPU and go through steps listed in the guide you linked, from Kyrio. 

Beyond that, it seems my options are to continue trying as I reinstall Windows, or to buy these pieces from Amazon and wait a week, build it and try again. 

Chanzon (5 x Male + 5 x Female) 12V DC Power Connector 5.5mm x 2.1mm 24V Power Jack Socket for Led Strip CCTV Security Camera Cable Wire Ends 10Pcs Plug Barrel Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079R9WCG2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ahu.CbR1QC9YY

Sorry about the messy link, my hyperlinking isn't working. 

They are cheaper with free shipping, compares to the one listed in the post above.

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote
averyminya
(@averyminya)
Jun 10, 2019 7:50 am  

Progress has been made! The original issue was an issue with my boot process. 

To ensure the graphics card is recognized by the laptop:

With the computer off, unplug the graphics card and prepare to plug it back in. 

Turn on the computer.

Plug in the power to the graphics card. 

Hold alt/option to boot where desired. 

At this point, the fans will run, up until they stop when logging into Mac. Unfortunately, despite downgrading to 13.6 and going through EFI automate, nvda-purge and nvidia-wrangler, MacOS isn't seeing the eGPU. 

I have made some progress in Windows with Nando, however I am stuck in a cyclical series of error codes, where code 43 leads to code 31, which leads back to code 43....

Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
averyminya
(@averyminya)
Jun 10, 2019 5:17 pm  

I'm so close I can see the light!

In MacOS, whenever I boot with the eGPU connected, MacOS crashes and gives me:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rlY4IuA

And then reboots as normal, without the GPU connected.

Automate.egpu EFI doesn't seem to detect any eGPU either, and will crash when trying to boot into High Sierra.

For Windows, things aren't going much smoothly either. No matter what I do, the GT650M drivers seem to reinstall themselves. When the 1060 is registered, it's usually given with a Code 43 for both the GTX and the GTM. If I try and resolve this issue, I get a code 31. When I try to resolve that issue, I am led back either to no display or eventually am brought back around to code 43.

I have a list of notes to type up when I get this setup working, however for now, until the codes are resolved, my hands are a little tied. I feel that I'm running out of resources to use!

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

ReplyQuote
averyminya
(@averyminya)
Jun 10, 2019 6:08 pm  

Here is a pastern of my error in MacOS. 

https://pastebin.com/SSFCarM9

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member
Jun 13, 2019 4:08 pm  

for windows which nvidia drivers are you using? did you use DDU in safe mode to wipe then reinstall different, older drivers? what brand of 1060 card? fans for zotac will not ever stop... most other brands stop after initialize as not needed until under load. does the dell da-2 maintain a green light the whole time? are you able to try using an external display to narrow down issues?

This post was modified 6 days ago

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Jun 13, 2019 7:07 pm  

@averyminya Why do you have boot-args: "agc=-1". Please remove this and retry on macOS:

sudo nvram -d boot-args
This post was modified 6 days ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote