AMD Radeon 5700 running at 0% with Sonnet Breakaway Box 550W

Notifications
Clear all

AMD Radeon 5700 running at 0% with Sonnet Breakaway Box 550W  

RSS

palatablesauce
(@palatablesauce)

Hello, I just got my egpu setup today and I can't seem to find out how to get it to work properly. The GPU always runs at 0% even when playing games or using 3D software to the point that it's unbearable. Strangely, the fan runs while the GPU is not warm at all. The RGB lights also work and the GPU properly detected by the computer. If anybody knows what might be the solution, it will be greatly appreciated.

My specs are:

-HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13

-AMD PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT

-Sonnet Breakaway Box 550W

The things I had already done to try fixing the problem were:

-Updating BIOS and drivers

-Changing power settings to high performance

-Disabling dedicated graphics card

-Ensuring that hardware was plugged in properly

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
benek
(@benek)

@palatablesauce, maybe I'm wrong, but the Breakaway 550W might not be delivering enough power … looks like the specs for that GPU are; Minimum Recommended PSU 700 W…

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
palatablesauce
(@palatablesauce)

@benek, That is bizarre, since I checked the compatibility list to make sure it's compatible prior to buying the GPU.

ReplyQuote
benek
(@benek)

@palatablesauce, I don't know what to say about that, maybe I'm wrong… I also have a Sonnet 550W but I haven't tried a similar AMD gpu in there, just my Nvidia cards … All I know is that AMD cards typically require more power … Whenever I check the specs of the AMD cards they always seem to require 650W min.

ReplyQuote
palatablesauce
(@palatablesauce)

@benek, Is it fair to say the the compatibility list is wrong? So far what you said is likely to be true, since I just checked and saw that the minimum system power requirement is 700W. I just don't know why they would include this GPU as compatible in its list if that's the case.

ReplyQuote
benek
(@benek)

@palatablesauce, yeah, that's something you would have to take up with Sonnet… But as I said, I could be completely wrong, but like you said, the GPU recommends 700W and the Sonnet you have is 550W, so that needs some explaining I reckon.

ReplyQuote
palatablesauce
(@palatablesauce)

@benek, I contacted their tech support. Hopefully there is a good reason why their compatibility list is the way it is.

I found out that the power requirement isn't the issue. I believe the problem must be with the drivers, the enclosure, or the GPU itself.

ReplyQuote