Setup & Software Discussions
AMD Radeon rx 5700 xt and Razer Core x Chroma running in Macbook pro 15" 2017 (B...

AMD Radeon rx 5700 xt and Razer Core x Chroma running in Macbook pro 15" 2017 (Bootcamp)  

RSS

elgalo87
(@elgalo87)

Finally yesterday i've receive my new Radeon rx 5700 xt and the Razer Core x Chroma,,, have to say is not just plug and play i have to do some work around to finally get the card working.. 
If somebody needs help with this topic please leave your comment. Ill upload pictures of the card running, performance and driver's links.
Best 🙂

System Config.: MacBook Pro 15"-2017-OS-10.14.6-(CPU-2.8GHz Intel Core i7-RAM-16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3-GPU Internal - Radeon Pro 555 2GB + intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB)-(eGPU-Enclosure Razer Core x Chroma-eGPU-GPU AMD Radeon rx 5700 xt MSI)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Dibi
 Dibi
(@dibi)

@elgalo87

Got mine too, can’t seem to get it working can you help?

2018 13” MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar
Razer Core X + RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
elgalo87
(@elgalo87)

@dibi Hello and i'm sorry for the delay :). All you need is download a modified drivers, from here https://mega.nz/#!1MZBBAiD!bbvIizUGLzgn-njPfZaOSuQ-j_hWWFp09w2fJmH6vrchttps://www.bootcampdrivers.com/ and follow the steps in the README file...The card run smoothly and no errors or so, been testing all weekend and all good so far 🙂 LMK how it goes. Best 🙂

This post was modified 3 months ago

System Config.: MacBook Pro 15"-2017-OS-10.14.6-(CPU-2.8GHz Intel Core i7-RAM-16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3-GPU Internal - Radeon Pro 555 2GB + intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB)-(eGPU-Enclosure Razer Core x Chroma-eGPU-GPU AMD Radeon rx 5700 xt MSI)

ReplyQuote
elbert
(@elbert)

Posted by: @elgalo87

@dibi Hello and i'm sorry for the delay :). All you need is download a modified drivers, from here https://mega.nz/#!1MZBBAiD!bbvIizUGLzgn-njPfZaOSuQ-j_hWWFp09w2fJmH6vrchttps://www.bootcampdrivers.com/ and follow the steps in the README file...The card run smoothly and no errors or so, been testing all weekend and all good so far 🙂 LMK how it goes. Best 🙂

How does it work with your MacBook Pro on macOS 10.14.6?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
shishpt
(@shishpt)

Hi I am a new user to this site and wanted to contribute to this topic.

I live in Iceland and ordered both of these devices for my Macbook Pro 15 (2018) and LG 5k monitor.  There was a bit of a hiccup as I first ordered the 5700XT and the Razer Core X instead of the Chroma, however I received the Chroma today and went to work on setting this up.  Prior to this post I could not get this to work.  Then I thought I would give it a shot and try the link that @elgalo87 posted.  I also connected my TV to the HDMI on the back of the Razor device as my 5k monitor connects via thunderbolt to my mac and didnt want to test with that right out of the box.

I was able to get this to work in Windows Bootcamp by following the instructions in the folder.  It takes about 30-45 minutes but I was able to get it to work on the TV.  Now I will try and get this to work on the 5k.

Thanks for this post it did help me in my setup.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
elgalo87
(@elgalo87)

@elbert Hi, I think should work on a MacBook Pro 2018, i test it ok a MB 2017. Best 

ReplyQuote
elgalo87
(@elgalo87)

@shishpt

Awesome man !!! And I’ll tell something is going to work For your 4K monitor, I test my 
with a Samsung serie 6, and work just fine. 
Im glad you find this post helpful. Enjoy:)))

ReplyQuote
Timstech0128
(@timstech0128)

Could someone tell me how to use macbook pro 2019 13 inch with razer core x egpu with rx5700 on bootcamp with extra moniter
Is that difficult and what will be happened without a extra moniter
And can i use a egpu on bootcamp without a extra moniter

ReplyQuote
shishpt
(@shishpt)

@timstech0128

I am not sure if it will work.  While I had the e-gpu and card that you had I could not get it to work.  I did not however try the method @elgalo87 mentioned earlier.  If you have the devices I suggest trying it out to see if that solves your issue.  If not then I suggest using the Razer Core X Chroma.  

Regarding your monitor, if you have a display port or hdmi connection on your monitor it will work.
Using the e-gpu on Bootcamp without a monitor works for me if I use the AMD software, where i have to try and set the games or apps to use the 5700xt graphics card.  Some work fine others are stuck at 555x (macbook graphics) and I am still wrestling with those games and apps to switch to 5700xt

ReplyQuote
elgalo87
(@elgalo87)

@timstech0128

Try the method I’d mention above, but before make sure you update windows (bootcamp)
and I would use it with an external monitor for sure. Good luck 😉

ReplyQuote
Sessjion
(@sessjion)

@elgalo87

Heya I got the same card and egpu, but even after the newest boot camp driver’s the card still have yellow triangle and won’t get seen by and app 

ReplyQuote
shishpt
(@shishpt)

@sessjion

I had this issue last week.  After checking a few sites the issue seems to be the same.  Windows Update being the root cause.  I had removed an update from September 22nd and then restarted the computer, doing so allowed Windows to see and use the rx 5700 xt card.

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

I have a similiar problem: I am using a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" and the Razer Core X . A few month the RX590 works like a charm nearly out of the box only with bootcamp drivers in Win10. Now I tried to upgrade to RX5700XT from Sapphire. But I can't get it working because of Code 12. Everything I tried did not work. But the strange thing is, that if i hotplog the egpu, remove the RX5700xt and insert the RX590 and plug it back in, it works directly without any error. The external monitor shows asap a picture and everything is fine. But the RX5700xt wont work. Any ideas? 

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 (i7 6x2,60Ghz), 32GB, 500GB, 560X + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX590/Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
Aegus
(@aegus)

@florian_sturm

What won't work? Does it not detect it? Can't install drivers? Are you using Automate EFI? 

2016 MacBook Pro 15in Touch Bar + Breakaway Box 350 + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

The driver are properly installed, the GPU RGB is also on. But there is the yellow sign with "Code 12". I am using an automate EFI to boot to windows. There the RX590 will be recognized and the 5700xt unfortunately not 🙁

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 (i7 6x2,60Ghz), 32GB, 500GB, 560X + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX590/Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
Aegus
(@aegus)

@florian_sturm

Did you disable PCI Controller 1901 in Device Manager?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@florian_sturm

automate-eGPU EFI does not work/is not required for 2018 15” MBP. Most likely you have an updated Windows version (read important announcements on main forum page). 

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

But why everything is working fine with RX590 and the issue exists only on 5700xt? Shouldn't be an error in both cases? I also tried first without EFI, but than the egpu (5700xt) was only recognized after hot plug. RX590 is also working without EFI properly.

@aegus

yes I tried about 2 hours to disable all kind of PCI controllers, webcams, dgpu and so on

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
Aegus
(@aegus)

@florian_sturm

Did you do a full uninstall and install of your drivers? Are you using the bootcampdrivers.com amd drivers

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

Posted by: @aegus

@florian_sturm

Did you do a full uninstall and install of your drivers? Are you using the bootcampdrivers.com amd drivers

Yes, after the new GPU did not work with my existing bootcamp. I delete the whole bootcamp, made a fresh install, directly removed drivers with DDU, installed 19.3.3 bootcamp drivers. After that its the same like before. 590 works without any problems, but 5700xt got code 12.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@florian_sturm not much help to you but I swapped my Vega 56 for a 5700xt and it worked straight away, didn’t even change drivers  I’m using official rather than bootcamp ones though  

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

@eightarmedpet

I hoped it will be the same in my case. Remove RX590, plugin 5700xt, reboot and everything will work. Maybe update bootcamp AMD drivers thats it. I was very happy, that I have never seen the code 12 error with my 590. So I was very relaxed for the upgrade. 

I also tried the latest Windows ISO, fresh downloaded. I also tried different ports, tried to disable not used devices, installed a EFI loader - But nothing worked. And after all that I simply replaced the 5700xt with the rx590 and everything worked fine. Just wanted to test if something damaged, but it works. Only the 5700xt makes this problem... 

Is it important to say, that I am using Catalina? I know, that mac os driver are not available. But this seems only to be a question of time, so I wanted to upgrade right before the new Call of Duty release...

ReplyQuote
Aegus
(@aegus)

@florian_sturm

I'm running Catalina Beta  10.15.1 so that's not the issue. My 5700XT works fine after doing the DSDT override is what got mine working. Without it, my eGPU doesn't activate. mac-editor says however it doesn't work for your MBP? So I'm not sure. Maybe worth checking out https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#post-1598

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

@florian_sturm

I'm running Catalina Beta  10.15.1 so that's not the issue. My 5700XT works fine after doing the DSDT override is what got mine working. Without it, my eGPU doesn't activate. mac-editor says however it doesn't work for your MBP? So I'm not sure. Maybe worth checking out https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#post-1598

But why would this be necessary? Can there be a difference between two GPUs? If this would be the issue, how can the RX590 work? 

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @florian_sturm

@florian_sturm

But why would this be necessary? Can there be a difference between two GPUs? If this would be the issue, how can the RX590 work? 

DSDT override is necessary on the 2016 MBPro models because their firmware in bootcamp does not automatically allocate a "Large Memory" space which allows device drivers to load into a 36 bit memory space above the 4GB 32 bit memory space allows.  2017+ models have this enabled by default.  Large memory just by itself is not enough to avoid error 12.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

Ok, so it's not necessary to do a DSDT Override, but what else could be the problem? The 5700xt itself, because the PCIe 4.0? Another AMD Card like the already installed 590 is working without any problem. I am running out of ideas 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

Well, the GPU is working well under mac os now with the newest beta. So I can say, the card is not damaged. But why the 5700xt is no working under windows? Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
(@florian_sturm)

Hi,
wrote all steps and thoughts together. Hopefully someone can help me 🙂

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/error-12-2019-15-mbp-razer-core-x-rx-5700-xt/#post-67302

Thank you so much! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@mark_marin)

@florian_sturm

Does the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT fit inside the eGPU? The Nitro+ lists as 17 x 9.5 x 3.5 in in size per Amazon (where I was looking to purchase it). Per the web site the longest card that will fit in the eGPU is <12 in. Or is Amazon's listing wrong?

ReplyQuote