Notifications
Clear all

Aorus box 3080 overheating / xps 9700 / win 10  

RSS

papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

Hello to everyone 

I have a problem since yersteday with my aorus box 3080 wich was working fine.

As i began to play on my xps 9700, fps started to drop drastically. Tuched my box , it was running very hot without adapting the fan speed . Then i exit the game , and checked temp: Over 86 degrees which never hapenned before( was more like 50–60 degrees in game) .

tried to unplug, and restart : same. Then made ddu driver uninstall, reinstalled drivers, still no adaptation of the fan speed .

reinstalled bios of my xps, thunderbolt driver and application, no success.

tried to check via afterburner : no reaction to manual changes of the fan speed nor curve.

And it was all of a sudden, just since yersteday pluging . The temps were fine before.

tried the reset Button. No changes.

i tried to flash the aorus box bios, hoping this Will Fix the problem , but the utilitary downloaded from gigabyte says « can t recognize bios version » and stops. Aorus engine can tell it’s the F1 version .( so i downloaded the matching version on the support page ).

i guess this is a software problem but i’m oit of ideas.

i’d like to flash the bios with the f1 version , just to « reset » the box , but i don’t know Where to find it and how to do this ... 

so i’m stuck with a black boiler, unable to play anymore, as it reaches 85 degrees in à Few minutes...

can anybody help me please? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@papoose02, Open the side panels and check the fan connections to the mainboard. When I took apart the RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box to review, the fan connector wasn't fully connected to the mainboard header and I experienced the same issue you described. When the fans are working normally, temps should run no higher than low 60s.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

@itsage

unbelivable. You were right, one of the fans had been magically disconnected.

checking temps now 

Hail to itsage!!!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@papoose02, I'm glad to hear. The water cooling system in these Gaming Boxes is actually very good except for loose fan connectors.

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

by the way do you think it’s worth updating the bios or not ? (F1 to f4) 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@papoose02, I haven't done any firmware updates. You can give it a try to see if there's improvement. 

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

Ok , many thanks for your help ! 

ReplyQuote