Aorus Gaming Box 1070 works, 1080 does not, any thoughts?

Notifications
Clear all

Aorus Gaming Box 1070 works, 1080 does not, any thoughts?  

RSS

benr
 benr
(@benr)
Eminent Member

Hi all,

I've a fair amount of experience at this point with eGPU. I have a working install of a Aorus Gaming Box 1070 on a MacBook Pro 15-inch (2016) with Radeon 460 and macOS 10.12.6. Still using automate-eGPU and the latest drivers and CUDA. I don't recall if I did the firmware update for the Gaming Box 1070 since I'm not very experienced with Windows or Bootcamp. But since I use the Gaming Box 1070 for CUDA in macOS with good performance, I don't worry.

I picked up a Gaming Box 1080 to see if I got significant performance improvements, but the unit is simply not recognized in macOS. I can use the same cables, port and everything with my 1070 box and it works fine. I shut down the MacBook, switch over the cables to the 1080 box, and nothing. The unit doesn't even show up in System Information.

Is there something I'm overlooking in the initial setup? Is the 1080 box any different? Or do I have a D.O.A. unit?

Any advice appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

They should work the same way in 10.2.6. If you still have both, can you swap the GPU to the other enclosure to see if it makes a difference?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote