Setup & Software Discussions
AORUS Gaming Box RTX2070 not recognized under Win10 1809 and macOS 10.14.6 on Mi...

AORUS Gaming Box RTX2070 not recognized under Win10 1809 and macOS 10.14.6 on Mid-2017 15'' MBP  

RSS

GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

Here's my setup:

eGPU: Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Box RTX2070

Computer: 2017 15'' MacBook Pro, RP555

System:
Boot Camp Windows 10 1809 (newly installed, also uninstalled default Radeon Drivers using latest version of DDU);
macOS 10.14.6

When I try hot plugging the eGPU into my laptop in Windows, there are no system prompts of a new Thunderbolt device. I tried plugging it into different ports but none of them works. I couldn't install the display drivers and the firmware because they said I don't have a compatible GPU connected. I also tried keeping the eGPU plugged in when booting into Windows, but got no response whatsoever. It did charge my laptop, and the small PSU fan was running, but unfortunately nothing else happened.

I plugged in the device in macOS as well, and checked the system information, but there are no signs of a new Thunderbolt device anywhere.

I'm guessing that I bought a defective enclosure. This was a "used - very good" product from Amazon. The device itself is supposed to be new or very lightly used, only the manual and driver cd is missing. Is there any way to solve this problem, or should I simply get a replacement?

Thank you all in advance.

MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2017 (2.8GHz quad-core i7-7700HQ - 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 RAM - Radeon Pro 555 w/ 2GB GDDR5 VRAM)

eGPU: Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box
Setup working like a charm 🙂

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Nothing showed up in macOS System Information > Thunderbolt is a concern. My first recommendation is to do a power reset – leave the Thunderbolt 3 cable connected to your MacBook Pro but disconnect the power cable from the Gaming Box, wait 15 minutes then plug the power back in. If you don’t see anything in Thunderbolt section, check the cable itself to make sure it has the Thunderbolt logo on the ends.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

@itsage

Unfortunately it still couldn't be detected after a power reset. The cable came with the eGPU and has the Thunderbolt logo on it, I'm fairly sure that it isn't the cause of the problem.

I've tried a bunch of different methods but they all failed, so I guess the device is defective. If there are no other options I can replace it on Amazon very easily, hopefully the next one wouldn't have the same issue.

MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2017 (2.8GHz quad-core i7-7700HQ - 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 RAM - Radeon Pro 555 w/ 2GB GDDR5 VRAM)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I would guess it’s a hardware defect with the enclosure. Hopefully your replacement unit will work without issues.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

@itsage

Hello! Just wanted to let you know that after a bit more experimenting the new unit was successfully detected and lit up under Windows 10. I'm currently updating to the latest drivers, hoping everything works fine!

Before edit: So I got a replacement unit yesterday and tried to set it up. System Information in macOS was able to detect the gaming box, and the RGB light came on. However, there are still some problems under Windows 10 (freshly installed 1903). I tried a power reset as you suggested previously, but nothing really happened, the HWiNFO64 page showed this. After leaving it plugged in for a while, I used HWiNFO64 again and it showed this. I don't know what the cause of the problem is. Could you please provide a bit of help? Thank you so much

This post was modified 2 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

@itsage

Hi, I've been fiddling with the gaming box for about a week now, but unfortunately I could only got it to recognize by Windows twice (the first time was when I sent you the previous post in this thread, and one more time later). I tried @lividity 's methods written in his/her build guide, and also your guide using the rEFInd method, but I just couldn't get it to detect reliably. Using the rEFInd method, I couldn't find a "third graphics device" in the device manager.

The box could be detected under macOS using the power reset method that you suggested before, but here's the weird thing, it could only be detected using this method. When the power cord is connected, simply hot plugging the TB cable into the right side port wouldn't work. Is there any possible way to get it to work reliably? This has become much more troublesome and frustrating than I imagined 🙁

Thank you so much for your time.

Edit: Aaaand half an hour after sending this post I got the box to detect a third time...... I have no idea what's going on right now

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Eminent Member

@garyleeone

The Aorus box with 2070 is possibly different from the Aorus with 1080 in firmware and hardware.  The one with 1080 I had worked via hot plug in W10 (1809) and detection in Mac (you need to mod the operating system and then installed the modded nvidia driver then manually force the app you are using in options to eGPU in Mojave) then everything would work. 

Pending: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015 m370x eGPU Radeon Rx 5700 W10

ReplyQuote