Setup & Software Discussions
Aorus Gaming Box unreliable on MBA Early 2015, Win10

Aorus Gaming Box unreliable on MBA Early 2015, Win10  

RSS

balmac
(@balmac)

Hi
I got a fresh Win10 1703 set up on an external SSD connected to my Macbook Air, Early 2015.
I use an Apple TB2->3 to connect to an Aorus Gaming Box with an EVGA GeForce 1050TI.

While detection works reliable in MacOS Sierra (HotPlug while Booting) I encounter some problems in Windows 10.
I just hot plug the cable after booting completely. After that the Hotplug sound can be heard and also the card always shows up in device manager. But only sometimes the card is actually usable. If so the nvidia tool shows the box as inactive but as soon as I start a game or connect a monitor it gets activated and works as expected.

If it is not usable neither the nvidia tool shows up and also other things are not working properly anymore. Oftentime shutdown/reboot just hangs and if I unplug the box again the Hotplug sound doesn't play (which it does if the card was usable).

Strangely, also the lights in the box never light up and the fans stay rather silent, although at least the GPU fan always is turning. This does not happen in MacOS, as soon as I connect the box there the fans are well audible and the lights turn on.

I tried many combinations, in hotplugging at different times while booting, hotplug with or without monitor attached, booting to MacOS first, then Win10, or cold booting directly to Win10. Whatever I do it sometimes works and then doesnt.

I am using the latest Drivers found on the Gigabyte website for the box (384.76)

Any ideas what would cause this? Especially that the lights don't turn on and the fans stay quiet I find rather strange and wonder whether I could damage the card because maybe adjusting fan speed to gpu heat is not working properly?

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote