AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Disappointment Box (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE)

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Disappointment Box (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE)  

RSS

(@elana_col)

Hey guys, I'm sorry but I'm at a loss here. I have a few issues with my Gaming Box which I just can't seem to solve. I'm wondering if anyone here might have similar experiences and or helpful advice. I'm well beyond DDU at this point.

So about my system:
- Dell Precision 3541
- Windows 10 Pro (1903)
- Intel Core i7-9750H
- 16GB RAM
- NVIDIA Quadro P620 (I was clearly not planning to use this much)

Particularities:
- Dual boot through USB-C port on the Gaming Box (both W10 1903)

Okay so first of all, the first time plugging it in while running my 2nd operating system (external SSD) was a dream. I installed the drivers without issue, it immediately recognized the two graphics cards, and everything was peachy. Surprisingly games run well considering the fact that I have my SSD and GFX connected through a single cable. Much to my surprise the box even worked flawlessly while navigating my bios.

Then, plugging it in with my 1st OS running (internal SSD) everything went to shit, and I've been trying to get it to work for many hours now. The 1st OS runs fine with a Dell Thunderbolt docking station as well.

My problems:
- Connecting the box in OS 1 doesn't do anything, it installs a few drivers for devices connected to the box though (keyboard, mouse, ssd)
- Installing the drivers for the RTX 2080 Ti results in a timeout
- I can DDU and "repair" Windows as often as I want, it won't matter
- The drivers install just fine in safe mode, but it doesn't really change a thing
- Shutting down windows while the Gaming Box has been connected at any point since the last restart, results in a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
- Starting Windows while the Gaming Box is connected results in a literally infinite loading screen. I left it on over night for the hell of it, it really isn't going to stop unless I kill it.

Low-key annoying:
- When I boot in to OS 2 my screen (through the box) will freeze. I have to open my laptop to login to Windows there before it comes back... WHY? Works like a charm afterward though.

Would anyone know how I could possibly get this to work on OS1? Also, are these boxes just not meant to be used like a docking station? Like should I only connect it while the system is already running?

Please send help... I might just yeet this Dell out the Window at this point.

Edit:
I didn't mean to post this here 🤦‍♀️

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@elana_col, My first guess is Windows auto driver installation is interfering with your OS1. Have you tried disabling this feature in DDU? When both the dGPU and eGPU are the same brand, driver conflicts tend to be an issue. I always remove the graphics drivers completely, disable Windows auto driver install, then manually install the graphics drivers for the eGPU. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@elana_col)

I'm gonna lob myself off a bridge now, I didn't even see that checkbox in DDU. I only saw the button to ENABLE it and I was like "WHY WOULD I WANT THAT??!!!"

Anyway it worked like a charm after: Disabling Dell Command Update, disabling Automatic Driver Installation in Windows, disconnecting from the internet, running DDU, disconnecting all devices from the box, rebooting, disabling Dell Command Update again (:roll:) and finally installing the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Still doesn't make it work as smooth as a docking station but I'll survive. Though if anyone has any tips, I'm all ear >.>

ANYWAY, thank you very much for the help, I could cry right now <3

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@elana_col)

@itsage, so I thought it was finally solved, but then came the twist... I connected my mouse to the eGPU and all problems came back! That is, I can't update or uninstall drivers, I can't shutdown, I can't boot... All of this applies as long as my USB mouse is connected to the eGPU. Of course the mouse works fine when connected to my laptop directly...

I suppose this isn't the end of the world, but if possible it would be nice to fix it... Might you have any suggestions? Cry

ReplyQuote
(@elana_col)

Here's how I fixed it:
- You do three (3) clean installs (magic numbers dude)
- You install Windows N version every time
- You steer clear of Dell SupportAssist
- Wait a few hours between every device you connect (I'm not asking questions, the Windows does as the Windows pleases)
- A lot of things still won't work but you get what you get, spend real money if you want quality 👀

ReplyQuote