Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box + Discord causes severe frame drop

Notifications
Clear all

Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box + Discord causes severe frame drop  

of  3
  RSS

elana col
(@elana_col)

I just did a clean install on this system for the third time. I have never had so many problems with electronic devices in my life in total as I have had with this one eGPU. Right now I'm facing a problem which isn't exactly new, for some reason my screen freezes every second or so for a very short period. It might only skip a few frames, but it is a huge pain in the ass while doing my work, not to mention while gaming. Even while typing this message the missing frames are mocking me.

Has anyone had similar problems, would anyone know how to even begin going about fixing this? Everything else seems to work now, though this problem has been around for all three clean installs. When I install Dell SupportAssist the problem gets worse, and is almost immediately followed by a BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD... I've been told I'm probably out of VRAM but I'd like to hope Notepad++ doesn't use 11GB of VRAM...

Here, have specs:
- Dell Precision 3541
- Windows 10 Pro (1903)
- Intel Core i7-9750H
- 16GB RAM
- Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box
- 11GB VRAM

Here, have a fun video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-364e4fhtTQiN_l3YDA8hFk4Net5y4De

Here, have my current mood:

This topic was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@elana_col, Does your system have a discrete graphics card? How did you install the Nvidia drivers for RTX 2080 Ti eGPU?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
elana col
(@elana_col)

@itsage, thanks for your reply!

The laptop has an NVIDIA Quadro P620 built in. It doesn't seem to use it for any applications though. I also set the power profiles to maximum performance in windows and NVIDIA Control Panel. I did not yet fiddle with the registry, since it doesn't really freeze, it just stutters...

I ended up doing a clean install without peripherals, rebooting a few dozen times for all updates, installing all laptop drivers, rebooting another dozen times, plugging in the eGPU, allowing thunderbolt, letting it install all default drivers, rebooting a few times just to be sure, then running the latest setup from the NVIDIA website (for RTX 2080 Ti desktop graphics).

I honestly at this point have no idea what I am doing but it seems to work better than it did before 👀

This post was modified 5 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
elana col
(@elana_col)

Is it cool to bump this? I am no further. Sometimes it freezes for a longer time, other times it doesn't freeze at all. It changes overnight though rebooting doesn't seem to make a difference at all. No significant amount of resources seem to be in use either. Seriously has anyone ever seen anything like this? Does this have a name? Clearly this is a major waste of a decent gpu 🙁

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

@elana_col, do you use an external display? If so, how is it attached to the box? Regarding TB3, do you have the latest controller firmware and drivers installed?

Dell Latitude 5591 (i7 8850H, MX130 dGPU), AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
elana col
(@elana_col)

@tamm0r, thank you for your reply. I've tried both display port and hdmi, other screens at other refresh rates seem to have the same problem. I do have the latest TB drivers :c

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

@elana_col, please forgive me for being so picky about this but have you also installed the latest Thunderbolt firmware update for your machine? I have another Dell machine but certainly had my share of problems with TB3, especially with a Dell dock in the office 😡 Anyway, if BIOS, firmwares and drivers are all up-to-date and the problem still persists it could also be a hardware defect with the TB3 cable (did you try another one?), gaming box or even your laptop...

On another note, I was wondering if you could share your experience with the gaming box regarding fan noise in my thread over here 🙂

Dell Latitude 5591 (i7 8850H, MX130 dGPU), AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
elana col
(@elana_col)

It seems like the problem comes and goes every other day right now. Rebooting and unplugging everything doesn't help, but waiting a few days does. I only have non-thunderbolt cables, they don't seem to have the problem but the FPS stinks so much that it's actually worse... And maybe the problem persists but I don't notice it because the fps is terrible to begin with. I am going to try to order a new cable, I might cry if I have to send the 2080Ti back for repairs...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@elana_col, Which version of GeForce drivers do you have installed? I've noticed this random freezing issue using the RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box (with LG Gram 17 and Samsung Galaxy Flex). I tried older versions and found 431 to be most stable. Give it a try and let us know if that helps.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
elana col
(@elana_col)

@itsage, Thank you for your reply! I replaced the thunderbolt cable and installed driver version 431.60. Unfortunately the problem persists... 😥

What is especially interesting is that:
- The problem is there when I use only any external screen on any port with any cable on any refresh rate (even 60hz)
- The problem is there when I duplicate my laptop display to my external screen (this is always 60hz)
- The problem is NEVER there when I extend my laptop display to my external screen (any refresh rate)

In all scenario's I use the eGPU to render all apps on any screens (including the internal display). I'm lost, it just drops a couple frames every second or so, like clockwork...

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
 of  3