ASUS G751JY running it's TB2 controller at half speed  

RSS

SamuelFDias
December 26, 2016 4:07 am  

Hello there my fellows. 

I own a ASUS G751JY and this days I started to think in create my  own eGPU station. But when I start to dig a little more I found the hard true... TB2 only runs at half of the speed as you can see for your self.

Edited: 5 months  ago

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
Prominent MemberAdmin
December 26, 2016 11:41 am  

I'll add this underperformance cannot be fixed with say a BIOS fix.

The G751JY is definitely missing 2 electrical lanes attached to it's TB2 controller since it's hosted off port1 and wifi is on port3 (0:1c.2). With the series-8 chipset used there, the wiring of port3+4 would become port1's lane3+4 if port1 was reconfigured to x4 2.0 mode by an updated BIOS.

Buyers Guide: Top 2017 eGPU Enclosures comparedDIY eGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
Honorable MemberModerator
December 26, 2016 1:23 pm  

That is an annoyance, indeed. That said, things will still work. This is still equivalent to a Thunderbolt1 link, and I am getting decent results with that on my T430s. But it is definitely not reassuring that we now need to not only check for overall eGPU capability, but also for the actual amount of lanes because manufacturers are cutting corners. This is board design 101: Make sure that a component rated for X bandwidth downstream has at least an X bandwidth in the upstream. Grr.

"Dire Wolf" - HP ZBook 15 G2: Core i7-4810MQ, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, K2100M dGPU, R9 Fury eGPU (AKiTiO Thunder2 over TB2), HP Z27q (5K) + Dell P2715Q (4K).
"Stormcrow" - Lenovo T430s: Core i7-3520M, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, GTX1050Ti eGPU (AKiTiO Thunder2 over TB1), Sony 4K TV.

“Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.” - Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love"

ReplyQuote
nando4
Prominent MemberAdmin
December 26, 2016 8:07 pm  

Annoyance indeed. Here the TB2 link, running at x2 2.0 brings it down to 8Gbps. TB1 connects electrically at x4 2.0, but is limited by the TB1 controller to 10Gbps, so is actually faster. 

These are gaming machines with a already powerful GTX980M running a full PCIe bus.  For someone used to gaming performance, I wouldn't recommend spending the time and money to get an eGPU working on this system. Rather, consider asking Asus for a G752  replacement due to underadvertised performance. G752 with a TB3 controller. If it too is running at half speed then will get the 16Gbps paid for on the G751.

Posted by: Yukikaze

That is an annoyance, indeed. That said, things will still work. This is still equivalent to a Thunderbolt1 link, and I am getting decent results with that on my T430s. But it is definitely not reassuring that we now need to not only check for overall eGPU capability, but also for the actual amount of lanes because manufacturers are cutting corners. This is board design 101: Make sure that a component rated for X bandwidth downstream has at least an X bandwidth in the upstream. Grr.

Buyers Guide: Top 2017 eGPU Enclosures comparedDIY eGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote

eGPU

27 User(s) Online Join Server
  • KaptainMajid
  • Norava
  • Wazbat
  • Markos
  • nowai_david
  • AquaeAtrae

Working