Asus UX501VW + Razer Core X compatibility issues, "Thunderbolt Device Functional...

Notifications
Clear all

Asus UX501VW + Razer Core X compatibility issues, "Thunderbolt Device Functionality Might be Limited"  

RSS

Sulfhemoglobinemia
(@sulfhemoglobinemia)

Hi All,

First time eGPU user here, I jumped in about a week ago on a Razer Core X kit I found for a great price. I've seen just a handful of other users with my laptop successfully get an eGPU functional, and have hit some snags myself. When plugging in the Core X I get a notification that functionality may be limited, and my graphics card is not recognized in device manager. I'm using an AMD Strix Vega 64 and made sure to disable the dGPU beforehand. I've tried updating windows, my bios, the thunderbolt software and firmware with no results. I've double checked that I do indeed have a thunderbolt 3 port and not a display port. Any ideas on directions to go next? Any help appreciated

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@sulfhemoglobinemia, The message in Windows indicates the device was not recognized as a Thunderbolt connection. If your laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port then check the Thunderbolt 3 cable. Is the Razer Core X new?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Soren Nyquist
(@soren_nyquist)

I'm having the same issue, did this ever get solved? Or can someone point me in the right direction?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
rloo89
(@rloo89)

@sulfhemoglobinemia

Hey man.

I was having the same issue here:

I bought a used Razer Core X for a decent price along with a GIGABYTE Radeon Vega 56. I spent days trying to figure out this issue and finally realized that is that Windows 10 still has some compatibility issues with some GPU's + eGPU combo, especially with AMD Graphic Cards. Even though Vega 56 and 64 seem to be compatible with Razer Core X, I believe it is not the case.

I managed to solve this issue when I bought a new PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT  - I plugged it into my eGPU and it immediately recognized it. I downloaded the drivers and didn't have any issues in the end. 

This is what the customer service rep told me recently:

10:14:40 PM [Robert] ok it seems that it was the GPU in the end
10:14:43 PM [Robert] I think
10:14:53 PM [Robert] if it was the GPU, do you know if the card could still be used with a desktop PC?
10:15:13 PM [Robert] its downloading the installer now
10:15:18 PM [Robert] will let u know in a bit how it goes
10:15:48 PM [Robert] my friend has a macbook air, and it seemed that it worked fine for him...
10:15:55 PM [Robert] perhaps its a compatibility issue
10:15:58 PM [Dennis]

That's a good question, Robert. That would actually depend, as for Nvidia GPUs, it should work on a PC if you can download the PC driver.

10:16:17 PM [Dennis]

Yes, Robert. There have been issues with Windows 10 Working with AMD GPUS especially for E-GPUS.

10:17:17 PM [Robert] ok so it says that my PC requires to be rebooted
10:17:28 PM [Dennis]

What's recommended to use for an e-GPU on a Windows laptop is a Nvidia GPU.

Hope this can be helpful for you man.

ReplyQuote