Asus Zenbook S (UX391FA) + Razer Core X

Notifications
Clear all

Asus Zenbook S (UX391FA) + Razer Core X  

RSS

Isaac Touché
(@isaac_touche)

So I've had my laptop in over a year now and the plan was to buy an egpu, but before buying one, I want to be sure that my laptop is compatible.

My laptop have 2 sets of Thunderbolt 3 ports, but I'm not sure if it's 4x PCI-Express lanes or 2x per port? It's quite hard to find specs about it, the laptop isn't that popular around the net: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/All-series/ZenBook-S-UX391/techspec/

But I've downloaded HWiNFO and it shows one PCIe x4 port for Thunderbolt 3, the other one is for the NVMe hard drive. But does it mean that I get full 4x lanes as long as I don't use the other port? Or do I only get 2x lanes when connecting an egpu?

My edition of the laptop is the i7-8565U processor. I know that my laptop's fan gets noisy when for example playing videos or multitasking with a lot of programs open, otherwise it's fully quite. Question is: will it be able to play games with an egpu?

I will only play through an external monitor. Hopefully I will play through Geforce Gamestream but if it doesn't work that good, I will connect the egpu directly to my TV.

Thanks in advance! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@isaac_touche, The two Thunderbolt 3 ports (right side of your laptop) share one x4 PCIe 3.0 connection. Each port can use full 4 lanes. Keep in mind Intel caps Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth at 22Gbps. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Isaac Touché
(@isaac_touche)

@itsage, Okey, thanks for the info. I just ordered the Razer Core X, I got it for half-price so hopefully it arrives today and I will try plug it in to my laptop and see if anything happens.

Now I'm just wondering which GPU I should buy. I found a GTX 1660 for around $200, but I don't know if I should save up to a GTX 1080 for around $500. The thing is, these GTX 1080 are often used and they're at least a year old, while this 1660 is just three months old. 

You mentioned that the bandwidth is at 22Gbps, is it worth spending money on a 1080 or is the bottleneck so much that it's not even worth it, so I can satisfy with a 1660? As I mentioned, I will only play on an external screen, mostly on my 4K TV.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@isaac_touche, The bandwidth is fine for more powerful cards. We've tested RX 6900 XT and RTX 3090 through Thunderbolt 3 eGPU with good results. I don't recommend spending a lot of money on graphics cards at the moment. When demand for mining slows down and price returns to normal level, you can upgrade to newer/more powerful cards.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
strikeraj
(@strikeraj)

FYI

i am using T490s with i7 8665u, and the TB3 is only 2x

I am running a core v2 with GTX970 no problem outputting to an external monitor playing games. 3Dmark shows i have may be a 10% deficit from a desktop GTX970.

ps. i would get the 1660 if i were you Smile

ReplyQuote